Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 PM

491 posts, read 886,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by commstar View Post
Stay out of the City limits of Spokane itself. Spokane is a low income pit. It is dirty, downtown sucks with homeless and bad roads. The only exception would be on the south hill south of 14th avenue and then look carefully. The good news is that there is little (if any reason to go to downtown Spokane unless you really want to- everything is available somewhere else.

The City of Spokane Valley (which is a separate and distinct city; is somewhat better but look carefully).
This totally runs contrary to my experience. There are a few run-down pockets here and there, just like any city in America, but to say that the South Hill is the ONLY exception is just completely and utterly false. I live right by Corbin Park in the near North side and though it's not necessarily affluent, it is by no means the run-down slum that you are describing.

One thing I've noticed since I moved to Spokane is that a lot of people here have never really been to other cities very much, and have no idea what a REAL ghetto or run-down neighborhood looks like. A lot of people here tend to confuse "old" with "run-down" or "dirty". Spokane is not a city of extremes. There is no real wealth here, nor is there any extreme poverty. If there is, it is so sparse and well-hidden I have yet to see it.

As for the valley? Better than Spokane proper? Uh, no. The valley is bland and boring. Strip malls and tract homes. It does get a little prettier the closer you get to Idaho, but overall the valley is dead-end suburbia. If it's character and culture you're looking for, then stick to central Spokane proper.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
better not mess about in the hood when you are in Spokompton.
Perfect example of the naivety I was describing above.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:25 AM

9 posts, read 25,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
Perfect example of the naivety I was describing above.
I agree with you. I see the person is getting it from one person's opinion in the "urban dictionary". We both live here and know better.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Reinholdt View Post
I agree with you. I see the person is getting it from one person's opinion in the "urban dictionary". We both live here and know better.
Not to mention he addressed you with the (non) word "brah"... possibly THEE lamest slang word ever concocted.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 AM

9 posts, read 25,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
Not to mention he addressed you with the (non) word "brah"... possibly THEE lamest slang word ever concocted.
Glad you noticed that also.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:42 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
And what's that area near downtown, the shady part of town where all of the tweakers and criminals live, the area to avoid????
If you have an inquiry about a specific neighborhood/cross-streets, post it here and the people here on the forum will give you their opinions. "That area near downtown" is pretty vague, so we can't possibly know exactly where you're talking about.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
There is no "hood" in Spokane. The "spokompton" usage is laughable to asnyone who has actually lived in LA and Spokane (which I have.)

The near northeast has its share of rough-appearing areas, and the neighborhood around Liberty Park LOOKS scary, but really isn't.

Keep in mind that Spokane is not a "hang out on street corners" kind of town. Most of the year, it's too cold to look cool (unless that it is a grammatical impossibility). In addition, everyone drives around. Trouble, when it occurs, is usually quick, violent, and in someone's home. Very seldom is anyone involved besides the immediate (usually intoxicated) participants.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Reinholdt View Post
Oh, ok.....O thought I was posting facts.....guess you are right:

Spokane, Yakima are U.S. auto theft hot spots | Puget Sound Business Journal

Spokane has the fourth-highest car theft rate in the country and Yakima has the 10th highest, according to a new report.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
If you have an inquiry about a specific neighborhood/cross-streets, post it here and the people here on the forum will give you their opinions. "That area near downtown" is pretty vague, so we can't possibly know exactly where you're talking about.

Sorry, most cities have commonly known areas\neighborhoods that should be avoided, that is what I was looking for.
thanks.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Sorry, most cities have commonly known areas\neighborhoods that should be avoided, that is what I was looking for.
thanks.
Hillyard and West Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area