Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:51 AM

3 posts, read 14,941 times

Advertisements

I want to move from Seattle to Spokane for a calmer lifestyle, but have been told that utility costs (hot water/electricity, etc.) are brutal during the winter.
Could someone please tell me an approximation of heating costs for an approximately 700 SF/ 1 or 2 bd apartment?
Many thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 12:58 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,415,858 times
I own a home, but to get the answer from the "horse's mouth" contact the Spokane utility company, Avista @ Phone: 1-800-227-9187. They will give you an estimate with a close winter figure for the size place you are asking of. This winter may be alittle higher, most snow in our city in over 50 years....Good Luck...

I love the atmosphere here, originally from the west side of the state, it's a big city , but with a small city atmosphere, and most seem caring and friendly.... If I can further help, send a pm...

Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 PM

Your consideration in taking time to help a stranger ...is another reason I want to move east...Everyone I met while on vacation there last summer were friendly and helpful also.

Thanks

Old 01-03-2009, 12:57 PM

107 posts, read 336,875 times
I wouldn't say the costs are brutal. It is not fun opening the envelope but considering the cost of rent over in Seattle compared to here in Spokane you will still be ahead. I would guess for the size of the place you want, it would be $130/month. It all depends on how warm you want the place. Then there is the AC in the summer. That is not as bad though.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 AM

231 posts, read 1,080,064 times
You can also ask the utility about spreading your bill out over a year's cycle so you don't get stung with overly high bills in the winter and make more even payments throughout the year. Avista calls it 'comfort billing' https://www.avistautilities.com/acco...nrollment.aspx

Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 AM

67 posts, read 246,408 times
I don't know if this is helpful, but I own a 5600 sq ft home and we "average" $ 205 a month for Electric and Gas. Add to that about $600 for wood since we do supplement heating with wood and our average would be $ 255.

We moved here from Los Angles and we had a 2200 sq ft home there. Our combined Electric and Gas bill there was averaged about $ 525 per month.

So we have 250% larger home and pay half as much to keep it warm or cool.

Bottom Line: Electricity is DIRT cheap up here, Natural Gas is more expensive, but still reasonable.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 7,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcidorfner View Post
I want to move from Seattle to Spokane for a calmer lifestyle, but have been told that utility costs (hot water/electricity, etc.) are brutal during the winter.
Could someone please tell me an approximation of heating costs for an approximately 700 SF/ 1 or 2 bd apartment?
Many thanks in advance
It depends a lot on what the heating is in the apartment as well as what floor you are and windows. I had an apartement about that size and our highest bill was just about $100; it was freezing last winter Find a few places you may be intersted in, find their heat type, and call. If you give them an address Avista (thanks to whoever already put the number in) will give you the high and low bill for the last year.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:24 PM

Thank all of you who were kind enough to take the time to help! I look forward to moving to a city with so many thoughful citizens

Old 03-16-2009, 09:14 PM

39 posts, read 147,683 times
Default gas or electric?

Do most homes use gas or electric for heating? Which is cheaper up there? Also what are temps like in the summer?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,899,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momgag View Post
Do most homes use gas or electric for heating? Which is cheaper up there? Also what are temps like in the summer?
it really depends on the house -- I would say there's probably a higher percentage of gas forced air systems than electric, but there are also still some older homes with oil heat, with gas hot water radiators, radiant floor and/or ceiling heat, electric forced air or electric baseboards.

Summer temps are generally in the 80's-90's with some days into the 100's. Evenings cool off down into the 60's-70's. I sure can't wait for those days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: