Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 29,042 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating my family from Tulsa, OK to Spokane area...What is the employment, quality of life, education and medical services like up there? I have 2 small boys and I would like to get my wife & Kids out of the HIGH crime area that I am living in and into a better change of scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 12:53 PM

221 posts, read 1,191,055 times
Spokane, in my opinion, has a wonderful quality of life. The employment picture is tough...and it was even before it became tough in most every city of the nation. The hospitals and colleges are the biggest employers, and both the hospitals and colleges are known for being excellent (overall). I would recommend you have a good, stable job lined up before you get to Spokane (as stable as you can guarantee, at least.) Of course, Fairchild Air Force Base is located there, too, and it is a major employer, too.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:59 PM

26 posts, read 98,990 times
Spokane has many wonderful parks to enjoy as well, like Riverfront park, Manito park, Cannon Hill park, and many more. The city's official motto is "near nature, near perfect". It's very true!! I white water kayak, snowboard, and mountain bike and all of these activities are very close to town. My wife and I are very blessed to live on the south hill very close to Cannon Hill park and Manito park. I think this coming spring there will be more great deals on real estate in this area.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:16 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,413,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacyok View Post
I am considering relocating my family from Tulsa, OK to Spokane area...What is the employment, quality of life, education and medical services like up there? I have 2 small boys and I would like to get my wife & Kids out of the HIGH crime area that I am living in and into a better change of scenery.
Overall it is a nice city to live in, but with the decline in the local and national economy the crime rate has increased to a degree, but compared to where you are now I wouldn't think it is a small margin...Like everywhere, life just isn't what it was 30 years ago, those times and less dangerous people are a thing of the past as a general rule..

Old 03-15-2009, 04:44 AM

5 posts, read 24,401 times
Actually, Spokane's employment is faring better than many other locales. The crime is not too bad either, provided you avoid a few widely spread locations. You can easily pull up school data on the public schools which will help you choose wisely as to where to buy/rent with regards to the kids. Medical services are excellent : a regional medical center with several large hospitals and a burgeoning biotech industry that is still in it's infancy. Education is also decent: several universities & 2 very large community colleges.

I've lived in San Diego (3 yrs), Phoenix (4 yrs), Chicago (2 yrs) & most recently Mississippi (due to job x4yrs). I still have my condo in San Diego. I have a career which allows me to work anywhere in the country. Where did I move back to? Spokane...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area