Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 AM

215 posts, read 878,012 times

Advertisements

I am stronlgy considering a very good job in Spokane Valley. I don't know much about Spokane other than from a tourists perspective...we go there about once a year, Silverwood/C'dA/downtown/riverfront park/etc.

I am NOT a commuter. I would ideally want to be no more than 15 mintues from home, but could do 30. No more than 30 though, and that's during traffic.

Where could I live that would be a safe, friendly place to raise a family? I would not want to go above $300K for a home, and I strongly prefer new construction. What I don't want is to end up in a snooty gated community where everyone lives 10 feet apart and is overly obsessed about the HOA covenants. Did that in Seattle, what a nightmare. Rather, I'm looking for a "normal" neighborhood where my kids can play with the neighbors, go to a decent school, and where people "live and let live". Somewhere safe, nice, and clean, but minus the pretentious suburbia attitude (don't know if Spokane has much of this to begin with, but that's another area you can help inform me!)

Thoughts? Appreciate the help up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:57 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,909 times
I hear you on the ridiculousness of HOA's. Our first house was a condo and we swore that we'd avoid another HOA like the plague. Some of those people!
New construction, huh? Problem is that most of the new Valley homes in the under $300K range are on postage sized stamped lots and probably do have HOA's--great if it includes snow removal, but not if they won't let you paint your house whatever color you want or tell you what kind of shingles you have to put on. It'd be great if you could find an odd bit of land in an established neighborhood to build in. That'd be the best of both worlds. Otherwise, I'd stick with looking South of Sprague Ave. or East Veradale/Liberty Lake area .
Anyway, in our visits driving all over and looking to compare neighborhoods, we've liked South Valley the best (probably south of 16th). Most Central Valley schools rate pretty well. We liked South Hill, too, and it would actually be closer to my husbands work, but we just feel like our family might fit into the Valley better. We'll see...we'll be looking here in earnest in the next few weeks. Heaven knows we could end up anywhere if we find the right house! :~) D

Last edited by Deena160; 04-14-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 01:58 PM

215 posts, read 878,012 times
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-HOA, necessarily. I'm just anti the kind of people who walk around the neighborhood and freak out when your garage door is open or something ridiculous like that. I'm trying to avoid that mentality which I believe is very prevalent in certain subdivisions. Like I said, I'm not even sure if people are like that (generally) in Spokane.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 AM

221 posts, read 1,195,426 times
We lived in a very nice neighborhood on Woodlawn just off of 16th. It's a very nice area all back in there.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:30 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,368 times
There are a good number of properties in the Spokane Valley , and only 10 or so minutes from the Mall and major business' in the valley. Yes some of the new homes are on propertys that are small, but nice and you have some privacy and most are HOA. Check them out on the web, using any of the many realty websites..

Good Luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area