Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:08 PM

89 posts, read 235,795 times

Advertisements

Spokane is really poor quality broadcast media market. Reflects the low level of education among the media consumers.

KYRS - Thin Air Community Radio in Spokane, WA - Home Page - Another vote for this Pacifica Radio Network style station, yet not affiliated. They air Amy Goodman's Democracy Now! twice daily.

Look on this Wikipedia page and you'll find links to all Spokane radio stations by frequency: KYRS-LP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Spokane has several NPR outlets. NPR has so deteriorated in the last two decades as it, like PBS, is no alternative to corporate media, so I rarely bother save for a few weekend specialty programmes on NPR.

There's a bunch of modern junk crap country celebrated by the white trash in this area. I can only imagine Johnny Cash cringes at modern junk crap county.

KYRS programming is uneven. The paid staff don't really work all too hard at the station from my time as a volunteer. A lot of after hours and some daytime programming is played by i-tunes from an overworked and under maintained Macintosh that crashes. What few shows are hosted by live radio dee jays on KYRS are usually very good to extremely excellent with exceptionally learned radio dee jays that actually know how to program.

I question the push to build a transmitter while the programming suffers so. But that is Lupito's deal.

Try KDHX :: INDEPENDENT MEDIA PLAYS HERE on stream as the best independent all volunteer-powered radio station for music in the nation. An example for KYRS.

590 AM kqnt.com hosts Home - Coast to Coast AM overnight, from 21:00 hours to 03:00 hours. George Noory as host has moved into many political issues Amy Goodman ignores. Yes, the alien abduction programs may be strange yet entertaining. Otherwise, AM blows in Spokompton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,141 times
You can count me as one of the white trash mentioned by bitko as I happen (for the most part) to like the country stations here. Guess I'm white trash with an MD degree and likely more years of education than bitko's been breathing. Bitko, that's White Trash to you, son.

Aside from country, I listen to classical on the Gonzaga station, 88.7. I'm surprised that this station hasn't been mentioned yet. I enjoy the programming on this classical station much more than that of the two classical stations in LA where I went to school and trained.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,620 times
Spokane radio consists primarily of Christian and mainstream country music (cool if that's your thing, but I think the music is intolerable). 98.9 KKZX is a great classic rock station, and 96.9 is a decent lite-rock station (think office music). The independent station (KYRS, 92.3 FM) is hit-or-miss, depending on who's picking the music, but the station doesn't seem to come in clearly on my radio dial.

There's a couple of "rock" stations, but they seem to avoid death metal or punk rock and play unending loops of post-grunge garbage (think Nickleback, Staind, Finger Eleven, Theory of a Dead Man, etc)

Other than that, the stations seem to change constantly. Last I checked, there wasn't a true hip hop/rap station (92.9 doesn't count, it's your run-of-the-mill top 40 station).

Generally, I don't listen to the radio, unless I'm in a larger city or a legit college town with good indie or rap radio. iPods killed the radio stations. And I couldn't be happier about it

Old 09-30-2010, 12:35 AM

39 posts, read 106,522 times
I just moved here and they do all suck. Honestly, if I have to hear one more John Mayer 'song' I'm gonna scream!!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:33 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,235,324 times
There are three radio stations in Spokane that aim higher than the gluteous maximus.

They are KEWU (89.5) for jazz, KAGU (88.9) for classical, and KSPS (91.1) for a music blend -- when they aren't broadcasting propaganda for the Democratic party.

The rest is typically idiotic mullet-brained rock and roll, puffy pop, "urban" CRAP music, and mahdawgjustdiedinmahpickuptruck C & W.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 PM

7,341 posts, read 12,564,225 times
I still miss KGA 1510 in its old format. They actually had local talk radio with teeth, and some very funny songs by Doug Clark. It was, to my knowledge, the only station hosting shows that would challenge the political status quo. Is anyone doing that anymore? I don't think so...

Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,144,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I still miss KGA 1510 in its old format. They actually had local talk radio with teeth, and some very funny songs by Doug Clark. It was, to my knowledge, the only station hosting shows that would challenge the political status quo. Is anyone doing that anymore? I don't think so...
I miss hearing it also when I'm in town. I'm old enough to remember when it was a country/western station...

Old 01-07-2019, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 481 times
My most favorite radio station is 88.7 fm kagu. They play a lot of classical music. I live in Rosalia Washington. I can get kagu loud and clear.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:03 PM

32,491 posts, read 47,447,506 times
I'm guessing that local media is another business being killed by the internet.

I like country music and there are a couple of good stations. Music is ok and news is local. Local news can be hard to find.

I have a large collection of blues, classical, and of Scottish folk music to play at home. No place on the west coast has a really good blues station and no one plays Scottish music, so it's not really like Spokane falls short at that genre when no one plays it anywhere.

There is so much music available on line that no one should be doing without what they want.

I don't see much difference between Spokane radio and the rather poor offerings anywhere else in the country.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,744,272 times
When I come through "The Inland Empire" I tend to rotate around 92.9, (modern/AC), 94.5 (rock), and 101.1 (oldies), but will flip over to 96.1 for some alternative. The stations I will not listen to are 98.1 (boring AC) or anything that resembles country or christian. Nothing against those stations, just not my cup of tea, and Spokane has a number of both formats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area