Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 896 times

Advertisements

I visit the area a lot, primarily the rural areas north of Spokane. Every time I've been around I end up with a run in with ticks, especially my dog. I'll be moving to the area in the spring and am curious what you guys do to prevent tick bites. Any tips? I tuck my pants, wear deet and a hat, etc. but never seem to repel em.

Thanks for any replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 09:40 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,274,102 times
Dogs should be treated with Fles/Tick preventative from roughly March 1st to about August 1st.

As far as people, I usually just suck it up and pick 'em off.

My wife, though, she screams, then freaks out a little, then makes me pick them off of her.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:23 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
My dog gets Bravecto in April and July and it lasts three month each time. We’ve never had to take a tick off him.
In all the 17 years we’ve lived in this area (mostly near Priest Lake) I’ve never had a tick on me or any of my animals, for which I’m thankful.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:01 PM

80 posts, read 94,685 times
I would go to a very good dog store and see what options they have that are more natural than the prescription stuff vets sell. A neighbor last year reported great results with his dog using a natural product carried at a local pet food store. Bravecto had some serious side effects in years past which makes sense since a lot of the prescription products aim to kill the fleas and ticks rather than just repel them.

Tick prevention is important for our pets even though we do not have Lyme disease in this part of the world. Ticks carry certain bacteria on them which may be transmitted to your dog and will result in many symptoms similar to Lyme

Old 01-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy15 View Post
I would go to a very good dog store and see what options they have that are more natural than the prescription stuff vets sell. A neighbor last year reported great results with his dog using a natural product carried at a local pet food store. Bravecto had some serious side effects in years past which makes sense since a lot of the prescription products aim to kill the fleas and ticks rather than just repel them.

Tick prevention is important for our pets even though we do not have Lyme disease in this part of the world. Ticks carry certain bacteria on them which may be transmitted to your dog and will result in many symptoms similar to Lyme

I can't tell if this post is serious or not.

A "very good dog store"??? Because of course a cashier at a "dog store" will know much more than a vet about how to treat or prevent a medical condition, right?

I get so tired of people espousing alternative and herbal treatments as some kind of "cure all" when none of them have any scientific support whatsoever. And then those same people are just as eager to denigrate modern medicine, despite proven scientific research. Every doctor that is a proponent of modern medicine is, of course, intertwined in the conspiracy of "big pharma" because they are supposedly getting huge kick-backs from the drug companies. What a crock.

Bravecto has been on the market for approximately 4 years and there have been a few rare instances of it being possibly linked to perpetuating seizures. Other than that, the only other common side effect is mild diarrhea. The very small chance that it would cause a "serious side effect" is certainly less likely than the chance of a dog getting tick paralysis or RMSF from a tick because they were treated with an ineffective herbal treatment.

And by the way, there have been a few rare incidences of Lyme in Western WA, and research is showing that it may be slowly migrating our way.

Sorry, rant over...

Old 01-09-2019, 06:03 PM

I’m really over people who think that google “resurch” equals an MD, DVM or PhD.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:57 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
I’m really over people who post queries about air conditioning and ticks in the middle of winter.

Really, folks...this is ice driving and keeping warm time. The blazing sun of August and blood-sucking parasites should not be on your radar screen.

Old 01-14-2019, 06:04 PM

80 posts, read 94,685 times
PS90 go ahead and fill your dog with pesticides if you think that is best for his long term health. And while you are at your vet's office be sure and buy some of the poor quality pet food he carries. Most vets carry crap like Science Diet and Royal Canin since the profit margins are big and those companies teach the little bit of nutrition that is part of the veterinary school curriculum.

By "a good dog store" I was not referring to Petco or some farm supply place where most know nothing about different foods but rather I was referring to a specialty store where the staff knows way more about food than your vet does. Vets are like MD's, overworked and primarily educated by the drug reps that visit them.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
PS90 go ahead and fill your dog with pesticides if you think that is best for his long term health. And while you are at your vet's office be sure and buy some of the poor quality pet food he carries. Most vets carry crap like Science Diet and Royal Canin since the profit margins are big and those companies teach the little bit of nutrition that is part of the veterinary school curriculum.

By "a good dog store" I was not referring to Petco or some farm supply place where most know nothing about different foods but rather I was referring to a specialty store where the staff knows way more about food than your vet does. Vets are like MD's, overworked and primarily educated by the drug reps that visit them.
I’m curious. Who were YOU educated by?
University of Google?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Let me guess: You're a fan of Blue Buffalo, right?

So, how exactly does the "staff know way more about food than your vet does?"

Of course, there's no possible way that the staff could be educated by the food brands that they sell, correct? They are all completely altruistic and would NEVER listen to a company rep, right?

Or are they educated by the typical dog breeder, who still thinks that Leptospirosis vaccine reactions are caused by genetics? Or the dog breeder who thinks that 1/2 doses of vaccines are effective? Or are they educated by TV commercials and think that grain free food is healthy? Or by Dr. Google?

Because I guarantee that they didn't spend $100K+ of their own money for an education...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: