Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:00 PM

93 posts, read 329,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeingdesert View Post
Although, it will be nice to see the fun, touristy areas too. Hoping the family likes it and finds there is stuff for us to do. Figuring out how to make it a practical, yet fun trip, will be challenging.
1) Riverfront Park (has an IMAX theater as well)
2) River Park Square Mall (I think it's $7 all day parking)
3) Mobius kids museum is in the mall
4) Walk around downtown from there for various restaurants.
5) Downtown branch of Spokane Public Library is accessible via skywalk (much of downtown is connected via skywalks) from Nordstrom's in the mall (and it's just next door) - just so your kids can see what the library is like
6) Manito Park (we just visited yesterday)
- Pickup a picnic lunch from Huckleberry's or a pizza from Benneditto's and then visit the park (free admit/park)

You'll have to google those items yourself b/c I think City-Data does not allow third person websites/url's or something...

Coeur D'Alene is of course a gorgeous lake area and quite close; I've also heard lots about Newman and Priest Lakes. Bring your sunscreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 12:46 AM

9 posts, read 22,952 times
Thanks David, I agree. The preteniousness of Californian's is one reason we want to move (amongst many others), so I honestly would not act superior- I don't feel that at all. We used to live in Colorado too (Col Springs) for a year but unfortunately moved back to Cal... I regret that decision now. (plus born in Long Island, NY) so we've been around. Let me know next time you go out what you thought of the condo area. I need to tell the owner soon. Thanks so much.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 AM

Those are great suggestions Jey K. Trying to figure out how to squeeze it all in. Thinking we should stay closer to town for most of the trip for getting a feel for the area. Maybe the lake cabin would be good to relax.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,932 times
Default fleeingdesert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeingdesert View Post
Our family will be driving up from California to decide if we want to relocate to Spokane (I know, another Californian, but we really are nice).
We are wondering what is a good area to stay in as far as hotels go. I found a condo as a vacation rental off of W. 2nd street. Would this be a safe, good area to stay for a few days? Some of the posts about crime have me nervous and is probably the only reason I'm hesitant to move there.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to really see the whole area enough to know if we want to live there, I'll take any advice I can get. (Which places are must see's, must eat, lakes must visit... plus neighborhoods.)

Thanks
Visited Spokane in 2007. Made reservations at Quality Inn Northside without knowing how far it was from Riverfront Park. The Hotel was great. I could hardly get my grandson out of the indoor pool. He was 5 years old and I sort of had to coax him out of the hotel. We walked across the highway to a great chineese buffet, can't remember the name, but we ate there twice. We took a cab and the driver dropped us off at the bus stop that gave us a mini tour and dropped us off at Riverfront Park. We had a great time. Can't say enough about the whole city. I have relocated here now. I retired in 2006 and 2007 visited Spokane, 2008 lived here for three weeks and now I am getting my car tags and changing over my drivers license.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:28 PM

Good to hear you're happy about your decision to relocate. Where did you live before?
It's difficult to really decide if a city will be right for your family until you spend some time there, and we have not done that yet. The neighborhoods seem so different in the different areas (northside or south hill). Anyone know about Eagle Ridge?

Old 08-10-2009, 12:27 PM

93 posts, read 329,943 times
Eagle Ridge is nice; We took a look at some of the homes there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area