Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 09:28 AM

33 posts, read 65,237 times

Advertisements

A question for locals who hunt, hw does it work up there?Here in Texas its almost all private land so you have to lease hunting property from land owner,and it is expensive. Is this how it is in Washington as well? Is the hunting anygood?Have hunted all my life and my boys keep asking if the hnting is anygood where we are moving to, so I guess I better answer them! We really enjoy dove season here in Texas however, all of us deer hunt as well.Any info would be greatly apreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 04:27 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texheat00 View Post
A question for locals who hunt, hw does it work up there?Here in Texas its almost all private land so you have to lease hunting property from land owner,and it is expensive. Is this how it is in Washington as well? Is the hunting anygood?Have hunted all my life and my boys keep asking if the hnting is anygood where we are moving to, so I guess I better answer them! We really enjoy dove season here in Texas however, all of us deer hunt as well.Any info would be greatly apreciated.
Washington has the lowest percentage of public land of all the western states. Less than 40% of the land is in public ownership.

The problem with hunting in eastern Washington is western Washington. The population of western Washington added to the 1.6 million people in eastern Washington makes it crowded out there during hunting season.

Those species that have lots of public land habitat are ok for hunting, but very crowded. These are deer, elk, ducks, and chuker. Other species are found on private lands that are usually leased, though there are a few "Feel free to hunt areas", but these are usually poor habitat.

Idaho is 30 minutes away, Montana two hours away, and BC three hours, but all these areas will require a non-resident license which is expensive especially for big game.

Washington requires only 90 days before you are eligible for a resident hunting license. You must surrender your other state license at that time.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:21 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
509 is right...but having grown up in eastern WA and lived back east where most hunting land is privately owned, WA is still hunting heaven comparatively speaking.

Compared to back east, the 40% public land seems endless and compared to eastern (even Texan) standards, the hunting is still relatively uncrowded.

Add to that plus the variety of hunting...I think texheat00 will definitely feel the move's an upgrade.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:01 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,630 times
Wide open compared to Texas, come on up you will have a great time. White tail, Mule deer and Elk are waiting for you.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:33 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Wide open compared to Texas, come on up you will have a great time. White tail, Mule deer and Elk are waiting for you.
...bear, cougar, coyote, pheasant, chukar, duck, goose, grouse, quail, turkey...and with luck, a opportunity for goat, sheep or moose!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:53 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,909 times
Just watch out for the yahoos who only shoot once a year(or less!). They run rampant here in W. Wa. My husband has been range master when they come to site in their weapons--I guess it's pretty scary! I know, there are idiots everywhere, but I would think that you'd have less problems with them in areas where hunting is more common. :~/ D

Old 09-18-2010, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,276 times
in the spokane WA you have a lot of paper land to hunt and it is crowdebut not all that bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area