Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 02:58 PM

470 posts, read 1,036,869 times

Advertisements

I saved myself the frustration and canceled the interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 05:43 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
I saved myself the frustration and canceled the interview.
Well gee, canceling an interview will CERTAINLY get you a job.

Quote:
Hustle? For what, $12.00 an hour? Will I be managing and leading personnel, analyzing profit loss to see how strategies are fairing, marketing and managing sales......................or will is it just a table waiting job?
If only there were a saying about beggars... and choosers... oh, how did it go again?

Yeah, you could hustle... for what? For MORE MONEY. At this point in your life, let's face it, NOTHING is "beneath" you, and maybe the attitude that you at least seem to have is why you're having problems. I sure as hell wouldn't hire you if I were interviewing you and you came across to me as you've come across to the rest of us in this thread. Just you posting on this forum reeks of entitlement and attitude. If I were interviewing you, I'd tell you to take a hike as soon as you opened your mouth. The job market is tough right now and most people respect a humble individual.

What an interviewer DOESN'T want to see... is someone who thinks that they are entitled to the job of the interviewer as opposed to the job they are applying for.

Keep looking for jobs, but drop the attitude. Accept that sometimes you don't get what you want... and, after being unemployed for so long, maybe you should take a look at what might be wrong with you, your resume, and/or your approach to interviews, rather than what is wrong with the job market.

Because like I said, I wouldn't hire someone who walked into my office and thought they deserved to have my job. I guess the key point here that I'm trying to convey is that you come across as very arrogant... and if you are arrogant to your boss even BEFORE you get the job, what are you going to be like after you settle in and get comfortable?

Maybe you should try looking for a government job. USA Jobs
/Oh, and don't refer to your new occupation as a "slave"
//Many people would be offended by something like that.
///TMYK

Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
Well gee, canceling an interview will CERTAINLY get you a job.

If only there were a saying about beggars... and choosers... oh, how did it go again?

Yeah, you could hustle... for what? For MORE MONEY. At this point in your life, let's face it, NOTHING is "beneath" you, and maybe the attitude that you at least seem to have is why you're having problems. I sure as hell wouldn't hire you if I were interviewing you and you came across to me as you've come across to the rest of us in this thread. Just you posting on this forum reeks of entitlement and attitude. If I were interviewing you, I'd tell you to take a hike as soon as you opened your mouth. The job market is tough right now and most people respect a humble individual.

What an interviewer DOESN'T want to see... is someone who thinks that they are entitled to the job of the interviewer as opposed to the job they are applying for.

Keep looking for jobs, but drop the attitude. Accept that sometimes you don't get what you want... and, after being unemployed for so long, maybe you should take a look at what might be wrong with you, your resume, and/or your approach to interviews, rather than what is wrong with the job market.

Because like I said, I wouldn't hire someone who walked into my office and thought they deserved to have my job. I guess the key point here that I'm trying to convey is that you come across as very arrogant... and if you are arrogant to your boss even BEFORE you get the job, what are you going to be like after you settle in and get comfortable?

Maybe you should try looking for a government job. USA Jobs
/Oh, and don't refer to your new occupation as a "slave"
//Many people would be offended by something like that.
///TMYK
If only there were more government jobs available here. Like I said read the previous posts and realized I have worked harder than most. So forgive me if I do not want to go back to square one just because I happen to be in Spokane.

Now there is an opportunity for me to make my ridiculous $7,000 a month salary coming up. That being said I'm not exactly a beggar plus I would call anyone that has a bachelors and some experience in a bit of a better bargaining position than most in Spokane. If you don't hold value to yourself no one will. Remember Spokane follows the national trend of only 30% of the population having a four year degree Now I will have to go away for a year if I want this money but that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is I will come back to the same low dollar wage Spokane I left having gotten more managment experience at a wage most here take two years or more to make. I will probably even get promoted while I'm down there which will mean over $8,000 a month. That being said I will probably come back being even more "arrogant" and "entitled".

If you had my experience and education you would understand where I am coming from.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:14 PM

I guess you're right, I do have a sense of entitlement. I have a rich uncle named Sam that has "given" me everything I've ever wanted.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I guess you're right, I do have a sense of entitlement. I have a rich uncle named Sam that has "given" me everything I've ever wanted.
And another sardonic post that reeks of arrogance. You think you deserve better than what you've got. I think that would be a fair statement about how you feel, wouldn't it?

Bottom line is, longer you're without work, the more your savings dwindles and the more you go without having experience. And employers are LESS likely to hire you the longer you go without having actual work experience. If you and I performed the same job, and you last performed it a year ago and I last performed it 3 months ago, they're going to pick me over you any day of the year.

I don't think you're a bad guy... I think you're frustrated to the extreme and that you think you deserve more than maybe you actually do. I think you're becoming desperate, and that's probably also coming across to potential employers. I imagine if you stepped back, took a deep breath and just calmed down a bit in your approach to work and thinking of potential work as a good opportunity to either expand your skill set or refine current skills, rather than as being a "slave" or it being beneath you because you don't want to wait tables, you would see a lot more success in the business world.

And you can't deny that it's easier to find work when you are already employed. So even if you took a piddly ass job pushing a broom somewhere, you could still look for work elsewhere and that right there would be a HUGE thing on your behalf. You would be showing potential employers that you are willing to do things that others may find "menial" or "beneath" them and they would be more likely to hire you because they see... hey, you're a team player. You're going to do things even if you don't like it and you WON'T have a problem with it.

Now, to your other post... Spokane is not the military world. You are not dodging enemy fire, friendly fire, and/or IEDs. You need to get over the idea that you're going to come back after a year of going away and make the same amount as you made when you were dodging those bullets; you've either got an inflated sense of self worth or have an unrealistic view of reality. NOBODY is going to say to you "Oh please, please come work with me! I love how you think others are beneath you because they don't have your education or experience and I love how you walk into an interviewer's office thinking that you should be in their shoes rather than the shoes you have to be in". I mean come on, would you want to work with that guy? The guy who thinks others are pieces of shiat because they don't have a degree like them? Or the guy who thinks he should own the place as soon as he walks into it?

I'm not saying your work shouldn't be valued... quite the contrary, your work should be valued highly. That isn't happening, and you saying that you're trying to wipe an arrogant look off your face before you go into an interview isn't going to get you a job... it's going to get you on welfare.

I don't wish that on anyone. I hope you find success. But you seem to think that a degree and experience alone will get that for you. It comes down to more than that. You say you've worked "harder than most". How do you know that? Have you talked to "most"? Because, from my standpoint you sound as if you think "most" should be beneath you and doing what you're telling them to do and that you wouldn't give them the time of day.

Sometimes you HAVE to go "back to square one" and say "Okay, this is where I'm at, that's the way life is" and move on rather than lament a 7K/month salary and complain about how everything sucks because you won't move to where you can find work. You have a good reason for not moving, but surely someone with as much education and life experiences as you have must realize that you can't start at the top after being at the bottom for so long. It's EXTREMELY unrealistic.

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm merely offering you the best advice that I possibly can. And I DO understand where you're coming from. I went to school for two years in West Virginia before moving out here and having to start ALL OVER. THREE of my classes transferred... and I was about 2 classes from having a rather lucrative certification and only a couple more classes from having my Associates. I worked two jobs and went to school full time while supporting my wife and children. I know what it means to work hard.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
And another sardonic post that reeks of arrogance. You think you deserve better than what you've got. I think that would be a fair statement about how you feel, wouldn't it?

Bottom line is, longer you're without work, the more your savings dwindles and the more you go without having experience. And employers are LESS likely to hire you the longer you go without having actual work experience. If you and I performed the same job, and you last performed it a year ago and I last performed it 3 months ago, they're going to pick me over you any day of the year.

I don't think you're a bad guy... I think you're frustrated to the extreme and that you think you deserve more than maybe you actually do. I think you're becoming desperate, and that's probably also coming across to potential employers. I imagine if you stepped back, took a deep breath and just calmed down a bit in your approach to work and thinking of potential work as a good opportunity to either expand your skill set or refine current skills, rather than as being a "slave" or it being beneath you because you don't want to wait tables, you would see a lot more success in the business world.

And you can't deny that it's easier to find work when you are already employed. So even if you took a piddly ass job pushing a broom somewhere, you could still look for work elsewhere and that right there would be a HUGE thing on your behalf. You would be showing potential employers that you are willing to do things that others may find "menial" or "beneath" them and they would be more likely to hire you because they see... hey, you're a team player. You're going to do things even if you don't like it and you WON'T have a problem with it.

Now, to your other post... Spokane is not the military world. You are not dodging enemy fire, friendly fire, and/or IEDs. You need to get over the idea that you're going to come back after a year of going away and make the same amount as you made when you were dodging those bullets; you've either got an inflated sense of self worth or have an unrealistic view of reality. NOBODY is going to say to you "Oh please, please come work with me! I love how you think others are beneath you because they don't have your education or experience and I love how you walk into an interviewer's office thinking that you should be in their shoes rather than the shoes you have to be in". I mean come on, would you want to work with that guy? The guy who thinks others are pieces of shiat because they don't have a degree like them? Or the guy who thinks he should own the place as soon as he walks into it?

I'm not saying your work shouldn't be valued... quite the contrary, your work should be valued highly. That isn't happening, and you saying that you're trying to wipe an arrogant look off your face before you go into an interview isn't going to get you a job... it's going to get you on welfare.

I don't wish that on anyone. I hope you find success. But you seem to think that a degree and experience alone will get that for you. It comes down to more than that. You say you've worked "harder than most". How do you know that? Have you talked to "most"? Because, from my standpoint you sound as if you think "most" should be beneath you and doing what you're telling them to do and that you wouldn't give them the time of day.

Sometimes you HAVE to go "back to square one" and say "Okay, this is where I'm at, that's the way life is" and move on rather than lament a 7K/month salary and complain about how everything sucks because you won't move to where you can find work. You have a good reason for not moving, but surely someone with as much education and life experiences as you have must realize that you can't start at the top after being at the bottom for so long. It's EXTREMELY unrealistic.

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm merely offering you the best advice that I possibly can. And I DO understand where you're coming from. I went to school for two years in West Virginia before moving out here and having to start ALL OVER. THREE of my classes transferred... and I was about 2 classes from having a rather lucrative certification and only a couple more classes from having my Associates. I worked two jobs and went to school full time while supporting my wife and children. I know what it means to work hard.
I started out as a buck private and now I'm an officer, I think I know a thing or two about hard work. A recession is an acceptable time period to be without work. I have an opportunity to mobilize and deploy again. I'm not asking to own the place, I'm asking for an employer to realize they have a slightly higher caliber potential employee and be willing to meet in the middle on salary and position hired for as I am willing to take a couple of steps down from what I previously did. I'm not asking for $7,000 a month now, I don't have industry experience, but I'm not not a bum without any experience or relevant education either. Here in Spokane it's like pulling teeth to get employers to pay more than $25,000 a year let alone the slightly over $30,000 I'm asking for. I don't think I'm out of line for having a bottom line salary and I don't think I'm not qualified for positions I'm applying for that should pay that.

What really burns me is you are saying I'm arrogant and I'm not willing to work. I've broke my back for this country time and time again, something I'm taking you have not done as you fail to see where I'm coming from. My service and dedication to duty speak for my work ethic. To come off and say I have no work ethic is arrogant in itself.

What it comes down to is your willing to work for less, I am not. I am still in the Reserves and have the opportunity to raise my hand and say send me, I'll go and be on my way making four times as much as any Spokane employer wants to pay. There is a contingency plan in the event I do not find employment and my savings are gone and it's not a bad one at that.

Last edited by Spokanejobseeker; 09-09-2009 at 08:35 PM..

Old 09-10-2009, 05:04 AM

I realize what you're asking AND where you're coming from. However, you have come across as very arrogant in several of your posts. And I never said you have no work ethic.

What it comes down to is not that I'm willing to work for less, what it comes down to is that I am willing to take whatever I can find because I realize the practicality of needing to make ends meet and the value of holding an occupation so that I can find a better one, and even though a particular situation may not be ideal for me, I accept it as what I've got at the moment and I haven't had a hissy fit over the idea of possibly having to accept something that I think is less than what I deserve.

And how do you know you have a "slightly higher caliber potential employee"? Slightly higher than who? I mean, hey, self esteem is great but at a certain point confidence is no longer simply confidence. Or, at the very least, it doesn't come across as confidence.

I'm not saying that you're out of line for having a bottom line salary so much as I'm saying that you're deceiving yourself if you think you're going to get what you want immediately. Why NOT take a job that's much closer to the "average" wage of around 12-13/hr and, while you work that job, either move up in that company/organization or look for work elsewhere? You may think you're qualified for a lot of stuff, but the bottom line is that the longer you go without work the less qualified you are.

It's much easier to find a job while you're working than it is to find one when you aren't working.

So please, tell me, just to clear up any misunderstandings that we may have had here, because I think that's ultimately what it is boiling down here, what do you deserve?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I realize what you're asking AND where you're coming from. However, you have come across as very arrogant in several of your posts. And I never said you have no work ethic.

What it comes down to is not that I'm willing to work for less, what it comes down to is that I am willing to take whatever I can find because I realize the practicality of needing to make ends meet and the value of holding an occupation so that I can find a better one, and even though a particular situation may not be ideal for me, I accept it as what I've got at the moment and I haven't had a hissy fit over the idea of possibly having to accept something that I think is less than what I deserve.

And how do you know you have a "slightly higher caliber potential employee"? Slightly higher than who? I mean, hey, self esteem is great but at a certain point confidence is no longer simply confidence. Or, at the very least, it doesn't come across as confidence.

I'm not saying that you're out of line for having a bottom line salary so much as I'm saying that you're deceiving yourself if you think you're going to get what you want immediately. Why NOT take a job that's much closer to the "average" wage of around 12-13/hr and, while you work that job, either move up in that company/organization or look for work elsewhere? You may think you're qualified for a lot of stuff, but the bottom line is that the longer you go without work the less qualified you are.

It's much easier to find a job while you're working than it is to find one when you aren't working.

So please, tell me, just to clear up any misunderstandings that we may have had here, because I think that's ultimately what it is boiling down here, what do you deserve?
All I ask for is the same opportunities I see other grads I know that graduated around the same time as me working here in Spokane. Do they make huge salaries, no, but they make reasonable wages for professional companies working Monday thru Friday hours. That is what I seek. I would work for $25,000 or more a year at a company that works Monday thru Friday with something around 8 - 5 hours. I would like to hurry up and find a position like this so that I can go ahead and settle in and prep to start an MBA program this January and have a work schedule ( 8 am - 5 pm ) that fits. It would be an added bonus if it were a prominent company with room for advancement or a company with quite a few people looking to retire in the few years.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:14 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
2009 is not the year to be picky in where you interview and its not just Spokane. I left Spokane because I too felt that long term the opportunities would not be good and here in one of the larger metros in the country things are really bad too. I've always felt that you consider everything and you never know where a job will lead. You may take a entry level job and a year later be in a great position once they see your skills.

Quote:
All I ask for is the same opportunities I see other grads I know that graduated around the same time as me working here in Spokane. Do they make huge salaries, no, but they make reasonable wages for professional companies working Monday thru Friday hours. That is what I seek. I would work for $25,000 or more a year at a company that works Monday thru Friday with something around 8 - 5 hours. I would like to hurry up and find a position like this so that I can go ahead and settle in and prep to start an MBA program this January and have a work schedule ( 8 am - 5 pm ) that fits. It would be an added bonus if it were a prominent company with room for advancement or a company with quite a few people looking to retire in the few years.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:16 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
With that attitude no one will want to hire you for any position.

If you feel like a slave working for someone why don't you go into business for yourself, sounds like you have many skills.

Quote:
Well another job denial for a low income service sector job with no professional positions in sight. I have an interview today with the Sears Marketing Call center as an $11.50 an hour slave. "You are ok with being flexible on work schedules without requring any time off?" Yeah sure I am. I'm trying to get my god this is an awful job offer, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why I don't have the job of the guy who is interviewing me look off my face before I go in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area