U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 13,484 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Texas (tornado alley to be specific), and I am tired of "severe weather" everytime I turn on the news. Hardcore winds, hail, tonadoes, floods... I am originally from slc, Ut and am not used to all this terrible weather. I know that Spokane had a bad snow storm this year, but I have heard that is mostly unheard of. Can someone please shed some light on whether Spokane is non-severe when it comes to weather? Does spokane have bad floods, winters, hail, lighting storms, or fires? I would appreciate any info I can get on spokane in the way of weather. Thank you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 06:16 PM

221 posts, read 1,097,255 times
Spokane is great for many reasons, one of them being the lack of severe weather. There is no severe weather they have on a regular basis, like tornadoes or hurricanes or earthquakes or constant rain. They do have hail storms once in a great while, and they had a severe ice storm a few years back, and they have had a couple fire storms, but none of this is a common occurrence.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:35 PM

4,925 posts, read 10,159,900 times
Well, having been around Spokane since 1967, I can honestly say that on a regular basis, no, no severe weather.
That being said, I can say that winters can get nasty, and cold enough to kill and sometimes has. Sometimes a homeless person has died of exposure, an unlucky motorist got lost or stuck in the mountains out of the city...
There has been fires within the city limits that has destroyed property and homes, but not on the scale of the extremely heavily-covered California fires. Some summers you may smell smoke from distant forest fires and have hazy skies for a few days, depending upon their location and severity of the fire season.
Never heard of a tornado in the area, or the threat of one.
Very few real, southern-style or midwest style thunderstorms.
The only ice storm I can remember is the one jessysunshine mentioned.
Flooding is pretty localized--you see wide-spread, devastating floods here like you see on the west side or back east.

Now the weather can be kind of unpredictable, especially in the fall and spring but severe? Nah.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:22 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,586,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coridoodle View Post
I currently live in Texas (tornado alley to be specific), and I am tired of "severe weather" everytime I turn on the news. Hardcore winds, hail, tonadoes, floods... I am originally from slc, Ut and am not used to all this terrible weather. I know that Spokane had a bad snow storm this year, but I have heard that is mostly unheard of. Can someone please shed some light on whether Spokane is non-severe when it comes to weather? Does spokane have bad floods, winters, hail, lighting storms, or fires? I would appreciate any info I can get on spokane in the way of weather. Thank you
The insurance industry rated eastern Washington as one of the best places to live. No severe weather, very few insurance claims as a result. Even the fire claims are minimal compared to other areas. You can easily mitigate the fire hazard with defensible space around the house.

That said. Watch out for black ice. Get studs on your winter tires. That is your greatest risk.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 AM

Oops, I meant to write the word "never" when talking about devastating floods back east.
No bad floods.
Again 509 is right...black ice is biggest threat to you safety.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:21 AM

3 posts, read 13,484 times
Thanks to everyone who commented. This is a big move for me and I decided that I have had it with being afraid of weather. Never used to bother me before but I have a 2yr old now and I worry about him every time it rains down here because we seem to have "severe weather" warnings and watches atleast once a week. This last year we have had many torndao scares, one bad enough to get us in the bathtub with our (brand new) matress on us. Anyway thanks again. Spokane sounds like a great place, I am fine with snow and ice. I want to stay away from the type of weather I cant control like floods, tornadoes and hurricanes.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:08 AM

...other than the occasional volcano or earthquake, you'll be fine!

In the late 1960s, there was a man who moved to Spokane from SoCal to get away from earthquakes. First winter in Spokane, he died of a heart attack he suffered while shoveling snow...(I have a dark sense of humor, that cracked me up, even as a boy...I know, it's sick, isn't it?)

I hope you have a successful move and that Spokane is good to and for you!

Old 06-13-2015, 04:47 AM

2 posts, read 2,978 times
Default If it's not too late....

You may have moved here by now, and for that I am sorry. Spokane residents have serious delusions on their weather, it is grey and cold, with a little grey added in. And also some more grey. It is nice for 2 1/2 months in summer, but it is really depressing the rest of the time. Everyone there is from there, never lived anywhere else, and act like its south beach. Anyone unlucky enough to try it out gets the hell out as soon as they can. You wake up, can't tell by the window whether it's 6am or 6pm. Not to mention a LOT of camo wearing biggots. I left and felt sane the moment I did my only comfort there was the other outsiders shocked as I was. Utah and Texas have at least Some culture or place to get some (SLC, HOUSTON, AUSTIN) but if you want to know what it's like cover all your windows so no light gets in for months and don't go outside, basically it sucks. There is a reason LOCALS who supposedly love the crappy weather have the nations highest suicide rates.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,569,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshineplease View Post
You may have moved here by now, and for that I am sorry. Spokane residents have serious delusions on their weather, it is grey and cold, with a little grey added in. And also some more grey. It is nice for 2 1/2 months in summer, but it is really depressing the rest of the time. Everyone there is from there, never lived anywhere else, and act like its south beach. Anyone unlucky enough to try it out gets the hell out as soon as they can. You wake up, can't tell by the window whether it's 6am or 6pm. Not to mention a LOT of camo wearing biggots. I left and felt sane the moment I did my only comfort there was the other outsiders shocked as I was. Utah and Texas have at least Some culture or place to get some (SLC, HOUSTON, AUSTIN) but if you want to know what it's like cover all your windows so no light gets in for months and don't go outside, basically it sucks. There is a reason LOCALS who supposedly love the crappy weather have the nations highest suicide rates.
Are these posts real?

What is with these guys with a total of one or two posts jumping onto an old Spokane thread just to bash the place?

Especially something like this, posting about Spokane's "grey and cold" weather in what has so far been a banner year for heat and sunlight? What prompted this guy to revive in this old thread about the crappy, cold weather, three days after we recorded a new record for high temperature?

Old 06-13-2015, 01:41 PM

7,216 posts, read 6,847,298 times
PS90 - I talked to an interviewer who came to Spokane 11 years ago and loves living there. She said I know it gets rapped all the time but she loves the hikes, sunshine and city. There are those who will counter these that come in and pillage like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or