Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 PM

265 posts, read 964,394 times

Advertisements

Please work with a nervous mom.

My son and his wife (and my first grandchild to be) are going to be moving to Spokane in the near future due to a job transfer. We live in Indiana, in a very small town (pop. 5000) where he was born and raised. He has been living in Cincinnati for the past year.

How is the cost of living? Crime? Good areas to live? Schools? I've looked through a few of the other threads here and was kind of by some of the posts. Keep in mind, cultural mecca when coming from the midwest means nothing. All I'm concerned about is whether or not he and his family will be safe and be able to maintain a comfortable standard of living. He had a choice of either Stockton, CA or Spokane and chose Spokane (thankfully...I've heard Stockton isn't safe and the cost of living is sky high).

Any information you could give me would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 06:22 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,486 times
Default Spokane

I lived in Spokane for about six months. I have friends in Spokane. Thet like it in Spokane. It is a small town but you have the big city amenities. It all depends where he will be working. The Valley and South hill areas of spokane are relatively safe. Some areas especially downtown and Brown's addition can be dicey. I cannot shed light on the school districts but my friends children did fine.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post
Please work with a nervous mom.

My son and his wife (and my first grandchild to be) are going to be moving to Spokane in the near future due to a job transfer. We live in Indiana, in a very small town (pop. 5000) where he was born and raised. He has been living in Cincinnati for the past year.

How is the cost of living? Crime? Good areas to live? Schools? I've looked through a few of the other threads here and was kind of by some of the posts. Keep in mind, cultural mecca when coming from the midwest means nothing. All I'm concerned about is whether or not he and his family will be safe and be able to maintain a comfortable standard of living. He had a choice of either Stockton, CA or Spokane and chose Spokane (thankfully...I've heard Stockton isn't safe and the cost of living is sky high).

Any information you could give me would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Come on, he's a big boy ain't he?

If he can handle Cincinnati, Spokane will be a cakewalk.

Cost-of-living is great. Crime is avoidable as long as he stays out of the wrong crowds.

I lived on Sunset Hill, and loved it. There aren't very many places to go wrong in Spokane.

They'll be safe and comfortable, as long as his income can afford the relatively low home/rental prices.

Kudos to him for choosing Spokane over Stockton. He'll be in for a pleasant surprise when he arrives.

Take it from somebody (me), if it were that bad of a place I wouldn't be dying to get back there.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:57 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times
I agree with David and I believe we both lived in California and Spokane...
He is right on with his advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Come on, he's a big boy ain't he?

If he can handle Cincinnati, Spokane will be a cakewalk.

Cost-of-living is great. Crime is avoidable as long as he stays out of the wrong crowds.

I lived on Sunset Hill, and loved it. There aren't very many places to go wrong in Spokane.

They'll be safe and comfortable, as long as his income can afford the relatively low home/rental prices.

Kudos to him for choosing Spokane over Stockton. He'll be in for a pleasant surprise when he arrives.

Take it from somebody (me), if it were that bad of a place I wouldn't be dying to get back there.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:36 AM

Thanks so much for your responses. Yes, he's a big boy, but Spokane is a long way from home and as other moms here can probably attest,you never stop worrying about your children, no matter how old they are. I can't imagine how parents cope when their children are in the service.

Again, thanks. I feel so much better.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:09 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
He'll do fine in Spokane. I grew up there and return frequently for business and family. There's not a single area of Spokane that I'd be afraid to go into, and I'd have justified expectations of coming out with no problems. If he's been in Cincinatti, Spokane will seem like a very friendly, very safe small town. It is a great combination of small town/big town living.
The school system in general is very good, definitely a cut above average, particularly compared to other cities its size. As with most cities there are nice neighborhoods and not so nice. Generally speaking, the South Hill is nice as are areas on the northside, particularly when you start getting to Francis and north. I know there are nice areas in the valley, but I'm not real familiar with the eastside of Spokane.

Your son made the right choice between Spokane and Stockton...no contest in the "niceness" department. Or safety, for that matter.

Hope it's a good move for your son and family!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:59 AM

Thanks so much for your reply.

Truthfully, they haven't been too enchanted with Cincinnati, although they are living in one of the nicer areas (Blue Ash). People just don't seem to be very friendly and the traffic is horrendous.

I'm sad that they won't be close by anymore (Cincinnati is only a little over three hours away) and we probably won't be there for the birth of our grandchild, but when our work schedules allow, we will be visiting. From what I've seen online, Spokane is breathtakingly beautiful. Who knows? Grandpa(in waiting) and I might retire out that way.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:16 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
Grandma, I kinda did what your son did, in reverse. From up there, left home right after high school and ended up for much if not most of the following 30 years back east. The Spokane area is soooo nice that MY parents did NOT retire back east to be near me and my family...they are still in the area, well, a couple of hours away. They even sold out their ranch, traveled the country for a few years looking for where to retire and ended up back close to home.

I just say all that to say this...you may end up there! I know I intend on getting back permanently upon my retirement.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks, skinem. I'm feeling so much better after reading everyone's comments.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times
Oh I wish I was still in Spokane. I also have two sons and I wouldn't worry at all if they moved to Spokane someday. It would give me an excuse to either visit or move back... It is beautiful country. My mother used to call it God's country. Look at some of the pics sometime at the beginning of the forum or go to google images and type in Spokane and Coeur de Alene (spelling?) Idaho which is only about 35 to 45 minutes away depending on where you are living in Spokane. You may decide on retiring at the resort there... Beautiful!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post
Thanks, skinem. I'm feeling so much better after reading everyone's comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area