U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 AM

30 posts, read 57,961 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

My wife and I just arrived here on Monday, we love our new apartment and the layout of North Spokane, everything is within minutes of our place! So, before the snow comes, I need to get "snow tires". I have a 2004 mercury sable 4dr sedan, what would I need to survive the winter? Also, can snow tires be used even when there is no snow? It seems that it would be a pain to change out tires one week from the next. Also, what is the average cost of snow tires and do you have to have something sprayed under the chasis to prevent rusting from the salt on the roads?
Rate this post positively

Old 10-09-2009, 04:37 PM

13,627 posts, read 26,010,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester23 View Post
Hey All,

My wife and I just arrived here on Monday, we love our new apartment and the layout of North Spokane, everything is within minutes of our place! So, before the snow comes, I need to get "snow tires". I have a 2004 mercury sable 4dr sedan, what would I need to survive the winter? Also, can snow tires be used even when there is no snow? It seems that it would be a pain to change out tires one week from the next. Also, what is the average cost of snow tires and do you have to have something sprayed under the chasis to prevent rusting from the salt on the roads?
You don't need to get snow tires, many people survive without them (I have survived without them the past two winters in Denver). As long as you are FWD (your Sable should be) and extremely careful, you could live without them. Snow tires only help you get started and stay moving, they don't help you stop. The same can be said for 4WD/AWD.

You need:
-ice scraper/brush
-washer fluid with a low temperature resistance (like -20° F), anything that says 32°F will freeze and you'll be screwed
-snow shovel
-snow/ice melt
-gloves
-beanie/hat
-warm clothes/jackets/sweaters/long johns/thermals
-a willingness to survive winter

If there's anything else I can think to add to the "need" list, I'll add it later.

Snow tires can be used even if there is no snow, but they'll wear quicker if you drive on them for an extended period of time when there is no snow (have them taken off as soon as the snow season is over). You don't take them off week-to-week, that would be ridiculous. Have them put on when snow season starts, and taken off when it ends.

Snow tires are as cheap as $29/each. Many people get rims just for their snow tires and have them (rims/snow tires) stored somewhere during the summer, if they are still in good shape.

I can't help you with salt (I'm not sure if Spokane uses salt or not), as here in Denver we use mag chloride. Mag chloride does not rust your vehicle, but it makes it extremely dirty and brown until you wash it off.

Enjoy your first winter!

Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 AM

4,925 posts, read 10,162,022 times
Depends upon where you're living in the Spokane area as to whether or not you're using snow tires. Northside? Maybe, depends upon the winter. We used to live in the plains area and later, to the north of Spokane and we used them. Actually, what we used were studded tires. And during some winters, studded tires on the 4x4 and chained that up! In some outlying areas, particularly in the West Plains area, they may run a plow and within 30 minutes the road is drifted shut due to wind, so the above was useful and, we felt, necessary.

You don't have to change tires weekly...just put them on at the start of the season and leave them on until spring. Costs? About like regular tires...you can spend a little or you can spend as much as you have.

Spokane doesn't use salt.

A couple of other things to add to your trunk for the winter, a set of chains, (Les Schwab would buy they back at the end of the winter if you didn't use them) and if no chains, a bag of sand or cat litter...gives you something for traction if you get stuck. And many people also carried an entrenching tool, you know, the little military issue collapsible shovel. You especially might want these things if you ever plan on leaving town during the winter.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:35 AM

1,837 posts, read 3,777,486 times
I lived in spokane for four years and had snow tires put on every winter. I felt a lot more confident on the roads with the snow tires and could get places that other people were stuck in when it snowed. This is just my opinion but I feel you need them especially in some areas where there is a lot of hills. I don't know if they would fit your vehicle but I have four snow tires for sale at the TuneTech in North Spokane. Call and ask for Paul and tell him that Raelyn sent you. I am only asking $150.00 for all four and they were only used for one season. We recently moved to Tulsa OK where we won't be needing snowtires... Hope that helps.

PS. Although some people don't like Wal-mart, I personally found that they did a good job on snowtire mounting and removal. We actually bought our snowtires at Les Swaub but they get really busy in the winter and the waits are too long... Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester23 View Post
Hey All,

Old 11-12-2009, 11:52 AM

6 posts, read 14,029 times
With a 2wd vehicle, I'd highly recommend snow tires (on all 4). The idea of a 2nd set of rims with them is a good one.

Some places will let you order at tirerack and just charge for mounting/balancing, or possibly get close to matching tirerack or online pricing.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,153,782 times
Hi and welcome to Spokane.. With the automobile you described I believe that is a front wheel drive, with that said you should be good in the snow.., but with snow tires,you are always safer to have them on your automobile especially if you live on south hill. Yes you can have snow tires year round round it's not like they are studded tires. I have a silverado 4x4 I use in the winters here and never have a problem with the roads even with the record
8 foot snowfall last year...just drove much slower and watched the crazy drivers..

Just drive safely and slower in the snow and you'll be fine...

Old 11-18-2009, 03:02 AM

199 posts, read 500,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You don't need to get snow tires, many people survive without them (I have survived without them the past two winters in Denver). As long as you are FWD (your Sable should be) and extremely careful, you could live without them. Snow tires only help you get started and stay moving, they don't help you stop. The same can be said for 4WD/AWD.
While I haven't spent a winter in Spokane yet, I will say that you are nuts not to buy snow tires or at least a good set of all-seasons with sips. I grew up in an area with lots of snow and ice and all-seasons will put you in the ditch for sure. They do help you stop and David doesn't know what he's talking about. I know this video is made by tire rack and they want to sell you tires but you should watch it anyway.
YouTube - Tire Rack Tire Test - Winter/Snow vs. All-Season vs. Summer Tires on Ice Back in my teenage years I didn't have snow tires and I went in the ditch all the time. I have never been in a ditch since using snow tires. Plus it's fun to pass all the fools that spin out going up and down hills. I wouldn't even think about driving in snow without snow tires if you are not experienced with winter driving.

If you don't have the money then you might want to look on craigslist. Be careful with studs because they can leak over time. The studs get hot and eventually wear down the liner of the tire. I learned that the hard way after buying some studded tires off craigslist for 100 dollars and one of them leaked. I took it to Les Schwab and they put 7 patches in the tire and it still leaked. I ended up having to spray it down with soapy water and found the leak myself. I pulled the old stud and plugged the hole with a patch kit and it was fine all winter.

Quote:
Snow tires are as cheap as $29/each.
If you buy them used on craigslist then I would agree with that statement. New? Where are you getting them for that price. The cheapest I found was about 75 and that's on tire rack. I would start with that site. They have lots of reviews and it would be a good start since you can tell where people live and what kind of cars they drive. P.S. I am not paid by tire rack or have anything to do with them but I did just buy some General Altimax Arctics and I'm excited about putting them on this week.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 AM

13,627 posts, read 26,010,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
While I haven't spent a winter in Spokane yet, I will say that you are nuts not to buy snow tires or at least a good set of all-seasons with sips. I grew up in an area with lots of snow and ice and all-seasons will put you in the ditch for sure. They do help you stop and David doesn't know what he's talking about.
Tell that to a guy that has never driven in snow before. He'll try braking at his normal braking point and will slide right into another car, the intersection, or the ditch. Go ahead, tell him.

I don't know what I'm talking about. I have never owned a set of snow tires, although I have managed to get through Colorado winters just fine without them.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM

199 posts, read 500,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Tell that to a guy that has never driven in snow before. He'll try braking at his normal braking point and will slide right into another car, the intersection, or the ditch. Go ahead, tell him.
Go ahead and tell him what? That snow tires are safer then regular tires? Yeah I did tell him that. Should more caution be taken during the winter? Yeah but I'm not going to pretend that snow tires are not better then all-seasons.

Quote:
I don't know what I'm talking about. I have never owned a set of snow tires, although I have managed to get through Colorado winters just fine without them.
I guess F1 race cars should just use regular street tires too since they make no difference. This person asked for advice and there is enough evidence out there that snow tires help with acceleration, stopping and turning on ice and snow. I got stuck in the parking lot at the ski resort last year while having my all-seasons and I have AWD. I came out to my car after work and it didn't move. With snow tires I would have been out with no problems and wouldn't have to ask others to help push me out.

How about you show the OP and me evidence where they make no difference. Until then, you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:39 PM

108 posts, read 330,662 times
Most everyone here in Spokane has suggested snow tires to me...but in David's defense, my brother lives at 9,000ft in CO and says he quit buying snow tires after the first year because they were a waste of money...and my brother is the type of guy to spend whatever it takes to do it the right way.

That being said, I have a set of wheels and tires waiting to put on my wifes car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area