U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 01:18 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,615,602 times

Advertisements

I was looking at the forecasts in Spokane on Wunderground, and it says a high of 11F degrees on Tuesday Dec 8. Is this normal for early December? Does it "seem" unusually cold right now?

I thought Spokane didn't get the arctic extremes that Minnesota and North Dakota get... but when the highs are barely double digits, it looks pretty close!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 02:30 PM

4,925 posts, read 10,180,727 times
Don't currently live in Spokane--grew up in the area and returned frequently...I have over a 40 year history with the area...

Temps like that and colder aren't unheard of, but it does seem a little early for that cold...but again, not unheard of. Heck, we got snowed on trick or treating a couple of years growing up. Eastern WA is pretty similar in climate to some of the Rocky Mtn. states--not wet like the west side of the state.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 PM

13,647 posts, read 26,088,620 times
I've actually followed the weather in Spokane as well, even though I've since moved away (this would have been my first winter there if I hadn't).

I'm actually wondering the opposite, like what's taking so long?

Some friends of mine who live in Spokane say they haven't had much in the way of winter weather yet, which contrasts quite sharply with what we've had so far here in Denver (multiple snow storms (1 was a two-footer), below zeros, etc,). I figured Spokane would be getting some of this too.

So should winter in Spokane have started by now or what?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:26 AM

265 posts, read 881,260 times
We live in an area that is on the southern fringe of lake effect snow. We don't get buried like some places, but it's an odd weather year when Houston, TX gets 3 inches of snow and we've only seen random snowflakes flitting around with no snow cover at all, so far.

My son was telling me about the upcoming cold temps, but according to the Weather Channel, there are only supposed to be two bitterly cold days, then back up to more seasonal readings.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:46 AM

1,002 posts, read 4,520,933 times
I would say it's been a fairly mild winter so far -- very little snow, temps were up to almost 50 just a week ago. It's also been very sunny so even with the cold, it feels enjoyable to be outside (but not for too long!!!) We typically will have a few days where it drops into the very low temps but doesn't last long and then like grandma(in waiting) said, we are back to seasonal temperatures.
I'm crossing my fingers that this will be a winter of snow in the mountains but not in the streets!

Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 PM

438 posts, read 1,667,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
I'm crossing my fingers that this will be a winter of snow in the mountains but not in the streets!
As opposed to last year when you had snow up to your eyeballs!
:~) D

Old 12-07-2009, 02:50 PM

1,002 posts, read 4,520,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
As opposed to last year when you had snow up to your eyeballs!
:~) D
You got it!! This week is starting out very cold but it's so beautiful outside! The sky is a brilliant blue and the sun is shining. From inside the house or car, you can't tell that it's only about 15 degrees - it looks like a perfect fall day. And when it's this cold, we don't get the awful fog in the mornings. I'm not gonna complain about the temperature when it's this sunny and there's no snow.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:04 PM

12 posts, read 56,752 times
Not unusual at all. You're right in that Spokane is milder than Montana/North Dakota, but it still gets bitterly cold here in December and January--and my father always said Spokane was even colder in his youth.

However, unlike the Northern Plains States, the cold here tends to alternate with milder, damper coastal weather. I'm looking forward to some of that right now.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:29 PM

968 posts, read 1,887,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I was looking at the forecasts in Spokane on Wunderground, and it says a high of 11F degrees on Tuesday Dec 8. Is this normal for early December? Does it "seem" unusually cold right now?

I thought Spokane didn't get the arctic extremes that Minnesota and North Dakota get... but when the highs are barely double digits, it looks pretty close!

You are correct. This cold is relatively unusual. In the previous 4 years there have been only 6 days in which the high temperature was less than 15 degrees. 5 of those occurred last year, none the previous year, one the year before that, and none the year prior to that. While these temps are not near record lows, the relative frequency of very cold days is uncommon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area