U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:53 PM

36 posts, read 102,245 times

Advertisements

I would take a real hard look at the Cheney and Airway Heights areas before buying. As I mentioned before, Spokane traffic really is not that bad. The commute will seem very small, and I think you will benefit more from a slightly longer commute with better schools and nicer neighborhoods. I think Cheney is a better option than Airway Heights. I honestly do not know any locals that want to move to Airway Heights. It is close to the base, but so are the Spokane neighborhoods, and I think they are much nicer. I hope you enjoy your trip and get settled in nicely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 AM

23 posts, read 53,418 times
I live out in in the west plains, technically Cheney but off of the Medical Lake exit. We actually have quite a few military personel in our neighborhood. We love the west plains, both Cheney and Medical Lake have fantastic school districts, Cheney is slightly better and will be adding some new school buildings in the near future, but very close. They are also two of the highest rated in the eastside (mead being the third although district 81 on the S Hill is good as well). Both are smaller districts with very involved teachers, parents and board members.

Commute wise, Greenacres is across Spokane- figure forty minutes minimum between Airway Heights and Spokane, and that's no traffic and not heading into Airway Heights. Its not a bad drive, but not one I'd chose to make. Roads are usually clear, I90 usually gets cleared first but heavy snow will slow traffic down. Honestly, if I had to commute to the AFB, I'd stay out on the west plains (good schools, cheaper housing- its a win-win).

Weather wise, mid February can really depend. This was a mild year so there were temps in the 40-50's and rain but last year we still had freezing temps and snow on the ground.

You generally will need some sort of proof of residency for registering the kids at least for Cheney/ Medical Lake and Mead since a lot of people fib to get into those districts but, at least for Cheney, they are pretty used to dealing with military personel transfers so it shouldn't be difficult for you.

Anywhere on the west plains its a quick drive into Airway Heights (Walmary, base, fast foods) or Cheney downtown (safeway, fast foods, EWU....). Its a pretty quick shot into Spokane as well and you are usually doing the reverse commute so even rush hours aren't bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area