Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 14,761 times

Advertisements

I've been combing through these threads for months now, but with slightly vague intentions. My hubby is USAF, and Fairchild was one of two possibilities for our next post. I've never been to Spokane, let alone Washington state. However, I spent 10 wonderful years in Maine, and I'm no stranger to snow and ice.

Last month, we got our orders, and we're headed to Fairchild. Now my vague browsing has taken on a more manic pace. I've read all about the lovely scenery, the good schools, the family-friendly neighborhoods, and the general appeal of life in Spokane. I've also read about the "brown" landscape, the crime- tee hee (I lived in Los Angeles, people, it will take a lot to scare me!), and I've reviewed the neighborhood critiques and the snow-haters and have come away, overall, feeling like this is a good move for our family and we're excited.

NOW, my questions are specific to our rapidly approaching arrival, and I would appreciate any help anyone could offer. We will arrive smack in the middle of February, 2010. We are departing from a 3 year assignment in Honolulu, and prior to that, a 7 year assignment in southern California. (therefore, we have little to no winter gear!)

1. What kind of weather should I expect in mid-February? Has the worst of the winter past? Do I need to scour the island now for snow boots, wool hats, and mittens for my family? Will we step into full-on WINTER? Or, as in other East Coast states I've lived in, would February be past the worst of the winter storms? In ME, for example, mid-February is not Spring, but I wouldn't need to bundle my 2 year old up in a snowsuit either. Honolulu to Spokane is a big change, regardless. Please advise.

2. Does anyone know the criteria for registering children in school? We will be buying a home, not living on base, and I do realize Spokane has many different school districts, so there may not be a blanket answer. If we narrow our search to one area (say...Greenacres?), and were negotiating on a property, does a school require PROOF OF RESIDENCE for registration?

I'm very worried as I have a 14 year old and an 8 year old who will be missing untold number of days of school between the time we leave Honolulu, and the time we buy a home in Spokane. I want to get them in school ASAP, even if that means my commuting with them from Lodging at Fairchild to classes in Greenacres at 7am every day. (I'm just using Greenacres as an example, we don't know where we're living yet). I don't want them missing out on school, especially since we have these hellish FURLOUGHS in Hawaii, and my girls have already missed many school days.

Any info on the process of registration, or requirements for residency and registration would be greatly appreciated.

3. And lastly (for now), if we did live as far out from Fairchild as Greenacres, how is the daily commute on the 90? If Google Maps tells me it is 35 minutes to Fairchild, is that accurate? Or is there a major gridlock when it comes to early morning/after work - travel time?

Thanks so much for any assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 06:01 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Brown landscape? Spokane is quite green, but there is a bit of brown to the west and south of it.

As far as registering kids in school, Spokane Public Schools (city of Spokane) is pretty easy (only SD I have experience with).

I don't know why you're focusing on Greenacres (or using it as an example). There is nothing particularly remarkable about it, and you can find tons of good homes/neighborhoods/schools much closer to Fairchild. If you are going to work at Fairchild and live in Greenacres, you might as well live in Idaho.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Brown landscape? Spokane is quite green, but there is a bit of brown to the west and south of it.

As far as registering kids in school, Spokane Public Schools (city of Spokane) is pretty easy (only SD I have experience with).

I don't know why you're focusing on Greenacres (or using it as an example). There is nothing particularly remarkable about it, and you can find tons of good homes/neighborhoods/schools much closer to Fairchild. If you are going to work at Fairchild and live in Greenacres, you might as well live in Idaho.
"Brown" was not my word, but rather another posters on some random Spokane thread.

I'm totally sure we can find a house in any one of the great neighborhoods closer to base, but for whatever reason, the name Greenacres was stuck in my head, as I've been looking at page after page after page of homes for sale, and that town had plenty. We've only been able to look online, but I'm considering lots of places, including Medical Lake, Cheney, the South Hill area, Town and Country...etc..etc. It was just a random town. Feel free to submit any other.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:45 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine91 View Post
"Brown" was not my word, but rather another posters on some random Spokane thread.

I'm totally sure we can find a house in any one of the great neighborhoods closer to base, but for whatever reason, the name Greenacres was stuck in my head, as I've been looking at page after page after page of homes for sale, and that town had plenty. We've only been able to look online, but I'm considering lots of places, including Medical Lake, Cheney, the South Hill area, Town and Country...etc..etc. It was just a random town. Feel free to submit any other.
Yeah, I had to question the "brown", too. Well, it would be compared to Hawaii. Driving from the very green Western Washington area where we live to Spokane there are some very brown areas. In school we learned that they were the scablands left when ancient glaciers tore through and took the topsoil with it. Still, as soon as you start coming towards Spokane things take a definate turn towards the green, especially with many evergreen pine trees.
February, burr. You might want to look for those warm clothes(try online and have them waiting for you, maybe?). It could be a shock to the system, if nothing else. It might be starting to warm up a bit, but I'm sure you know it's going to take you a while to aclimatize. I've gone from Australia to Washington, but that was in the spring/fall when it was an easier transition.
I think what sticks in your head about Greenacres is the song--It's the place to be...badumbadump bup bup! lol. My teenager said we were forbidden to live there because she'd never get that song out of her head and it would be embarassing telling people where she was moving to!
As for commute, I think that it would be harder to get from say Indian Trail or Mead down to the base compared to areas east on 90. If we transfer, my husband would be working by the airport and we decided(after three visits) that we really didn't like the north/south commute because there's no freeway in those directions(yet) and all travel is on surface streets. After considering the commute and school districts, we liked South Hill and South Valley. We like the older, more settled neighborhoods without the cookie-cutter homes. The streets are lovely and wide and the people we've talked to have been really nice. :~) D

Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Years ago, I got to Spokane the way you're coming...dad got transferred to Fairchild. We came in mid-February from New Mexico. We loved it.
The following about schools is from a child's perspective...from 3-mid-10th grades I attended in the Cheney school district. Great elementary experience (Sunset in Airway Heights) and as I progressed, the schools became larger, there was less individual attentions and classroom control degraded in general.
Mid-10th grade I transferred to our hated arch-rivals--Medical Lake. Loved it. Smaller, friendlier students, less student, um...violence and petty crime, less drug usage. More teacher attention (strong knowledgeable teachers--some of my favorites), better classroom control.
Another difference that actually made a difference--at the elementary level, many kids were AF kids as well so we had so much in common with our common experiences and concerns, especially since there was a war going on. As we got older, there were fewer of us so that by the time we were in high school, AF kids, while not uncommon, were a minority. The situation at ML was quite different--many, many more AF kids and a seeming increase teacher awareness of the peculiarities of being an AF brat.

It used to be that all kids older than elementary age (they had their own elemntary school on base) at Fairchild were zoned for Medical Lake and had no choice about where they went. Perhaps things have changed, but I expect schools still require proof of residency (I spent 25 years in ed and we always did).

As afar as the weather goes, you can still have full-on winter in Feb. We arrived from New Mexico in a blizzard. I was in Spokane last mid-February to mid-March and saw multiple snows and zero degrees, with one day in early March having a high of 8, but yes, the worst of the winter storms/weather should be past. (We got snowed on one day in June in Spokane...in fact, I've seen snow in the Spokane area every month of the year except July, August and September.)

Lastly, for the kids, as a kid who went to multiple schools thanks to Uncle Sam, and as an educator, I would suggest putting your children in schools that are familiar with dealing with military kids and the attendant unique issues. A school such as Medical Lake might be an easier adjustment for him as so many of the students there are used to new kids coming in and as such are usually friendlier and easier to become part of the group than a school that doesn't see many new kids come in, especially mid-year. (I hated mid-year transfers when I was a kid--did it 2nd grade, 3rd grade and 10th grade. Ask my sister how much she enjoyed it at the start of her 12th grade year...)

Any way, I think you'll like Spokane...I've felt it was home now since we moved there 42 years ago...

I hope the move goes smoothly for you, the adjustment is easy and that Spokane is good for you and to you!

Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
I think what sticks in your head about Greenacres is the song--It's the place to be...badumbadump bup bup! lol. My teenager said we were forbidden to live there because she'd never get that song out of her head and it would be embarassing telling people where she was moving to!
As for commute, I think that it would be harder to get from say Indian Trail or Mead down to the base compared to areas east on 90. If we transfer, my husband would be working by the airport and we decided(after three visits) that we really didn't like the north/south commute because there's no freeway in those directions(yet) and all travel is on surface streets. After considering the commute and school districts, we liked South Hill and South Valley. We like the older, more settled neighborhoods without the cookie-cutter homes. The streets are lovely and wide and the people we've talked to have been really nice. :~) D
Thanks for your response...and I agree...it's the stupid song!

Also, you've really given me something to think about as far as the commute goes!

Old 12-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Lastly, for the kids, as a kid who went to multiple schools thanks to Uncle Sam, and as an educator, I would suggest putting your children in schools that are familiar with dealing with military kids and the attendant unique issues. A school such as Medical Lake might be an easier adjustment for him as so many of the students there are used to new kids coming in and as such are usually friendlier and easier to become part of the group than a school that doesn't see many new kids come in, especially mid-year. (I hated mid-year transfers when I was a kid--did it 2nd grade, 3rd grade and 10th grade. Ask my sister how much she enjoyed it at the start of her 12th grade year...)

Any way, I think you'll like Spokane...I've felt it was home now since we moved there 42 years ago...
Thank you too, Skinem! Your info was really great...and has also given me lots to consider about school placement for my kids.

Since it sounds like your familiar with the area around the base, may I ask your opinion? Is it as desolate in Medical Lake as it seems to be? Not a major grocery chain, nor a Starbucks, nor even a McDonalds to be seen? I'm not opposed to driving a few minutes for convenience, and the proximity to Fairchild is certianly a HUGE draw, but the town looks very...boring.

However, the property tax is certainly less than in the metro Spokane area. I just wondered, is Medical Lake a growing area, or just a rural, sleepy town, that is likely to stay that way?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine91 View Post
Is it as desolate in Medical Lake as it seems to be? Not a major grocery chain, nor a Starbucks, nor even a McDonalds to be seen? I'm not opposed to driving a few minutes for convenience, and the proximity to Fairchild is certianly a HUGE draw, but the town looks very...boring.

However, the property tax is certainly less than in the metro Spokane area. I just wondered, is Medical Lake a growing area, or just a rural, sleepy town, that is likely to stay that way?
I'll admit that I've never been to the actual town of Medical Lake, but have driven through the Deep Creek area, and IMO it's pretty sleepy.

Airway Heights has all the creature comforts you mentioned above, and then some. And it's not a long drive.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:44 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,345 times
Quote:
Just read on another thread that the north corridor highway has just started. Googled it and read a little about it like how they just cut the ribbon, but the info didn't mention when it's supposed to be finished. Had to laugh when I read that the initial plan was proposed in 1946!!! Typical. I wonder if having a better commute system will help the economy of the Spokane area in general? :~) D

Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Just read on another thread that the north corridor highway has just started. Googled it and read a little about it like how they just cut the ribbon, but the info didn't mention when it's supposed to be finished. Had to laugh when I read that the initial plan was proposed in 1946!!! Typical. I wonder if having a better commute system will help the economy of the Spokane area in general? :~) D
Where exactly is the new freeway supposed to be? For some reason I'm thinking it'll go through/by Hillyard?

If so, that probably won't help the drive on Division or Maple/Ash. Or will it?

All I can say is that I didn't like going north when I had to go north. It wasn't too much fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area