U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 AM

70 posts, read 176,432 times

Advertisements

Well sure, and to be even more fair, like someone said earlier, I think "getting bored" around the high school/college period is fairly normal, and it definitely factored into my desperation to leave Spokane.

Ironically, I left Spokane to move to SF for work.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 04:25 PM

3,019 posts, read 8,597,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Ok i have a job offer in Spokane. My family does have kids. I asked this in the general WA area and got replies like "it's boring" or "there is nothing to do" and "why would you move there" so is this true?

I am from the east coast and this will by my first city on the west coast. I am from Richmond VA and I see population wise it is very similar. Does this mean I should expect the same sort of lifestyle? We are moving hoping for some change like a faster paste of life and more to do.

At first we obviously were interested in Seattle but the job offer is in Spokane. Just how much slower is Spokane than Seattle, and just how much slower is that compared to the east coast (or my city if you have been around here) ??

I am looking for malls, lots of activities or clubs to join, great academics, lots of social interaction, culture, faster paste of life, diversity, safety, CLEAN and modern city and more opportunities for the location to grow in the future.

I am hoping to get away from the constant museum after museum.. after museum. Parks after parks after parks. I am not sure if this is a "southern thing" or what but it is like the movie Groundhog Day living here. Our entertainment is based (as a 13th colony state) on countless museums and other historical events of the PAST. I just want to move some where that is already thriving and is living for now and the future.

Are my expectations too high for Spokane?
The job market isn't too good in the Spokane area but your expectations aren't very high and I think you'll love Spokane, it has everything from shopping, restaurants, being close to the mountains, skiing and lots of parks and I consider Spokane to be a big city with a small town charm and I would greatly prefer it over Seattle anyday, I'm not a Spokane resident but I absolutely love it there and would love to live over there

Old 04-04-2010, 11:46 AM

1,295 posts, read 4,366,290 times
Wow thanks for all of the posts! I'm still reading them

Old 04-08-2010, 10:45 PM

20,098 posts, read 22,003,303 times
I always have to laugh when I read people praise the "four seasons" in Spokane.

When does spring arrive? Snow is expected tomorrow, with temps in the high twenties tomorrow night. This is completely typical for this time of year.

Spokane has two seasons: cold and chilly. Oh, except for a few weeks of 100 degree days in late August.

Four seasons in Spokane? Try blizzard / sleet / hail.... and gray and cloudy nearly every damn day.

An absurd choice for any thinking person. Those of us who live here either regret having decided to do so, and are now stuck with undervalued properties which make it impossible to move, or are forced to be here due to work, military, etc.

Do yourself a favor. Stay away from Spokane. It's cold, depressing, and has all the cultural diversity of unflavored yogurt. And those on this forum who disagree with me are simply real estate hucksters trying to flog some more bucks from the rubes who contemplate moving to this dismal burg.

Reflect on the Spokane city motto ---- "Spokane: You'll Get used to It."

Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 AM

4,925 posts, read 10,169,667 times
Spring is scheduled for May 2 this year, with summer to immediately follow.

It's all perspective Yeledaf. No place is a "one size fits all" kind of place...Spokane does have 4 seasons compared to many parts of the country. And gain a little elevation and you'll see the sun. After all, it is the PNW, isn't every day there rainy and cloudy?

Sounds like you need to expand your circle of acquaintances for some cultural diversity, if that's important to you. It is there, and probably in some ways that would surprise you. Tapped into any of the Russian, Filipino, Japanese, Hispanic, Chinese, Native American, Thai, Korean, Laotian, Indian groups or activities yet? How about Norewgian or Swede...but I guess they'd be too bland for you.

I'm sure you're right that every single person in Spokane does not want to be there.

I'm not a real estate huckster...although I'm well on the way to real estate mogul-hood with my two rental houses there...one inherited, the other I bought. I expect I'll be owning Riverside Ave just any time now.

Personally, I kinda like people putting out posts like you about places I like...maybe some folks will listen and stay away...I don't like crowds. But any place is a boring or depressing as you allow it to be.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Spring is scheduled for May 2 this year, with summer to immediately follow.

It's all perspective Yeledaf. No place is a "one size fits all" kind of place...Spokane does have 4 seasons compared to many parts of the country. And gain a little elevation and you'll see the sun. After all, it is the PNW, isn't every day there rainy and cloudy?

Sounds like you need to expand your circle of acquaintances for some cultural diversity, if that's important to you. It is there, and probably in some ways that would surprise you. Tapped into any of the Russian, Filipino, Japanese, Hispanic, Chinese, Native American, Thai, Korean, Laotian, Indian groups or activities yet? How about Norewgian or Swede...but I guess they'd be too bland for you.

I'm sure you're right that every single person in Spokane does not want to be there.

I'm not a real estate huckster...although I'm well on the way to real estate mogul-hood with my two rental houses there...one inherited, the other I bought. I expect I'll be owning Riverside Ave just any time now.

Personally, I kinda like people putting out posts like you about places I like...maybe some folks will listen and stay away...I don't like crowds. But any place is a boring or depressing as you allow it to be.
Translation: skinem (whose pseudonym actually sounds more North Idahoan than Spokanite) has been stung by a little taste of the truth about the Ingrown Empire.

That's often the case with the rentier class, who fear more than anything a downturn in their property values.

Spokane's babbitts are alive and well...and living on the South Hill, far from the refugee groups skinem cites but shuns.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM

4,925 posts, read 10,169,667 times
No sting whatsoever...I have a near half century history with Spokane and have seen what it has and hasn't have to offer, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thing is, what you moan about and grossly exaggerate are basically two things...the weather; which no one can do anything about, is great compared to other places and are personal preferences anyway (You don't like it--great! More power to you.), and the statement that everyone hates living there, which is obviously patently false. If it were, I expect Spokane will be a ghost town soon.

But, I am exceedingly glad you can tell so much about me, where I'm from and where the pseudonym is from...your powers of observation are certainly stellar and quite impressive to behold, especially your observation about who I shun. You've busted me so I may as well quite living the lie and hanging out with the great unwashed purely out of political correctness and because it eases my low, tortured conscience. Since I've been outed I can now live as someone befitting my class and quit slumming with the refugee groups...my relatives will be elated that I won't be seeing them much any more.

I've been called a lot of things, but rentier class is a first, my neighbors will now feel better knowing they live next to such a representative. This will sound strange, but don't really care about the property values in any short term...I'm in it until I die. Paid for so long ago that I've already made my money on them. 20 years ago, I may have cared...

Please post more wisdom in which we can bask and will further prevent anyone else from moving to Spokane. You do a great service for your fellow man. Thank you for making a thread about whether Spokane is boring or not...not.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:11 PM

231 posts, read 1,012,832 times
Skinem,

Speaking from experience, just let this one go. Take a look back at some of Yeledaf's old Spokane related posts and you will see the script laid out: Spokane is freezing/too hot; Babbitt; the only people in Spokane are those who want to leave but can't; posts not critical of Spokane are only made to sell real estate, etc. I feel bad for Yeledaf being "stuck" somewhere he/she obviously dislikes so much.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:54 PM

4 posts, read 14,578 times
Default Water

Just a few words describing Spokane from my point of view...
A Lot of Lakes within a short drive for Summer.....
A lot of Ski Areas within a short drive for Winter.....

Need hotter weather...Drive South 131 miles and you're in the
Tri-Cities....quick drive for more water (Snake and Columbia Rivers)
and 90-100 degree Summers vs 70-85 Spokane....

Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 PM

Spokane isn't boring.

It's tragic.

Helluva place to have to live. The only city I can think of where the weather people on TV talk about "good sleeping weather", when they're searching for something positive to report.

Spokane. Great place to sleep. Now there's a ringing endorsement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area