U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:11 PM

114 posts, read 105,310 times

Advertisements

I may be reading into the title of the thread to much but why does a city have to be exciting? and what makes it exciting and how is boring defined? You cant compare Las Vegas or New York to Spokane, there on different tiers and what city of about 200,000 in population do you label as exciting? Spokane is a nice city town thing with a developing downtown and urban sprawl and also next to some beautiful land go hiking camping fishing party at the lake what have you.

Two other things

1. If your bored, get a hobby

2. I have met several spokane youths who have told me they were apart of a white crip gang in Spokane....this may have been a result of boredom
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 PM

491 posts, read 803,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go9ers View Post
I have met several spokane youths who have told me they were apart of a white crip gang in Spokane....this may have been a result of boredom
Either that, or the result of watching too much MTV.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 PM

Boredom is relative. Let's put it this way... I moved to Spokane from Las Vegas a little over a year ago. Personally, Vegas bored me to tears. Unless being a coked-up dou***bag, career gambler, or advanced-stage alcoholic is your thing, then Vegas has little else to offer it's residents. Spokane is a welcome breath of fresh air to me.

Every city has something that makes it unique from other cities. If it's nightlife you're looking for, then yeah... Spokane is kind of a dud. However if it's outdoor activities you're into, then we rate pretty high. In the warmer months there are plenty of lakes nearby and great hiking trails. In the winter and spring we have no shortage of nearby ski resorts.

My only complaint is a lack of culture (museums, diverse restaurants etc.), but Spokane is a small city. Seattle is only a 4 hour drive if I need a big city fix.

Last edited by Brewzerr68; 06-15-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokaneisgreat View Post
"Meth is everywhere" - I live in Hawaii - it is here - it is everywhere. Spokane is no different.
Stationed in Spokane from 57-60 in USAF. Loved the city and surrounding area. Have lived
all over the US and I would move to Spokane if I had a chance. Any state or city is what you make
it. Those high school kids that hate Spokane will not be any more satisfied in any other city.
So true about the high school kids. High school is the universal golden age of BORED. I've lived all over this country and that is the one constant. Doesn't matter if it's Spokane or NYC. No escaping bored teenagers.

As for the meth thing, you have a point. However, Hawaii and the Pacific Northwest are the 2 most meth-plagued regions in America. Meth is everywhere, sure, but it's definitely more of an issue here than in a lot of other regions.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 PM

1,000 posts, read 4,510,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
Boredom is relative. Let's put it this way... I moved to Spokane from Las Vegas a little over a year ago. Personally, Vegas bored me to tears. Unless being a coked-up dou***bag, career gambler, or advanced-stage alcoholic is your thing, then Vegas has little else to offer it's residents. Spokane is a welcome breath of fresh air to me.

Every city has something that makes it unique from other cities. If it's nightlife you're looking for, then yeah... Spokane is kind of a dud. However if it's outdoor activities you're into, then we rate pretty high. In the warmer months there are plenty of lakes nearby and great hiking trails. In the winter and spring we have no shortage of nearby ski resorts.

My only complaint is a lack of culture (museums, diverse restaurants etc.), but Spokane is a small city. Seattle is only a 4 hour drive if I need a big city fix.
Have you been to the MAC in Browne's Addition yet?? They get some really incredible exhibits - right now it's the Leonardo daVinci exhibit. And for restaurants, I think there are lots of ethnic choices -- I recently discovered Queen of Sheba (Ethiopian) in the Flour Mill, there are also many sushi & Asian restaurants, Vietnamese food, and several authentic Mexican restaurants that aren't chains. The only thing I think we're missing is an oyster bar!! Coming from Florida, those were always a fun, casual type hangout. Not sure how well that would go over in Spokane....

Old 06-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
Have you been to the MAC in Browne's Addition yet?? They get some really incredible exhibits - right now it's the Leonardo daVinci exhibit. And for restaurants, I think there are lots of ethnic choices -- I recently discovered Queen of Sheba (Ethiopian) in the Flour Mill, there are also many sushi & Asian restaurants, Vietnamese food, and several authentic Mexican restaurants that aren't chains. The only thing I think we're missing is an oyster bar!! Coming from Florida, those were always a fun, casual type hangout. Not sure how well that would go over in Spokane....
Thanks! I will definitely check that out. I need more info like this.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 14,714 times
Hey all~ I've been reading all your posts b/c my husband and I are thinking about moving to Spokane in about 5 years. Thought I'd do the research now. Been there MANY times in my early 20's but cities change...

We are in our mid 40's now and want to get away from expensive nation's capital, traffic and stress. I remember my days visiting Spokane (every weekend) were great. People seemed friendly. Are they still? This is very important to me as where I live now in a suburb of Wash. DC, people are prejudice - especially the smaller towns here in VA! I'm tired of this "southern" attitude. They may display their southern charm, drip honey as they call you "honey" but inside, they are prejudice.

What is Spokane like these days? I'm educated and think that we truly need to love all mankind. You will always find a sub-group of every race, every religion, every whatever who are "trashy" and give their "group" a bad name. Need true information on this please if you wouldn't mind.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:24 AM

13,632 posts, read 26,019,264 times
I'd venture a guess Spokane itself hasn't changed much since the late 80's.

Maybe stay out of some of the newly built areas in both Spokane County and North Idaho -- they are just like Everyothersuburb, USA.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:25 PM

649 posts, read 1,571,860 times
i think you'll find spokane to be a real nice place to live; the people are very polite and friendly......the pace of life is slow, traffic is manageable, crime is moderate, and most importantly in this hard economy; the cost of living here is very reasonable. you can rent a nice home for under $1000 a month, with reasonable cost of utilities. and if you want to buy (recommend you waite until you've lived here awhile and can then decide if this is where you want to stay and if so then what part of the area you want to buy a home; just my 2 cents) the market here for homes is very wide open, and the prices are falling every week. there's lots of civic and community organizations that you can get involved in........plus lots of outdoor activities. so good luck on your decision, spokane is a beautiful place to live

Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 PM

20,098 posts, read 21,995,037 times
I've never found Spokane to be boring. The wealth of world-class restaurants, the dynamic and entrepreneurial business climate, the variety and diversity of views provided by the many exciting local newspapers, the year-round sunshine, and proximity to white sandy beaches, the cultural climate, which draws young people from all over America and makes Spokane's youth scene vibrant and scintillating to such a degree that our kids want to stay here after high school and college to be part of the hip downtown happenings, the progressive political leaders whose number one priority is maintaining the infrastructure and keeping our streets butter-smooth and clear of snow and ice in the winter, our river clean, and our park free of litter and riff-raff: these are all things that make Spokane such an exciting and thrilling place to live. Of course, it helps to have a shot of something smooth every now and then to help preserve this positive perspective. Personally, I recommend Dry Fly, which is distilled in --- you guessed it, Spokane!

Dry Fly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area