Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:36 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,308 times

Advertisements

Ok i have a job offer in Spokane. My family does have kids. I asked this in the general WA area and got replies like "it's boring" or "there is nothing to do" and "why would you move there" so is this true?

I am from the east coast and this will by my first city on the west coast. I am from Richmond VA and I see population wise it is very similar. Does this mean I should expect the same sort of lifestyle? We are moving hoping for some change like a faster paste of life and more to do.

At first we obviously were interested in Seattle but the job offer is in Spokane. Just how much slower is Spokane than Seattle, and just how much slower is that compared to the east coast (or my city if you have been around here) ??

I am looking for malls, lots of activities or clubs to join, great academics, lots of social interaction, culture, faster paste of life, diversity, safety, CLEAN and modern city and more opportunities for the location to grow in the future.

I am hoping to get away from the constant museum after museum.. after museum. Parks after parks after parks. I am not sure if this is a "southern thing" or what but it is like the movie Groundhog Day living here. Our entertainment is based (as a 13th colony state) on countless museums and other historical events of the PAST. I just want to move some where that is already thriving and is living for now and the future.

Are my expectations too high for Spokane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
I think you have a long list of expectations, and may need to visit several more cities until you find the one that clicks. Part of why I follow the Spokane forum, is that I'm thinking of moving to a more laid-back place with less traffic and lower taxes. When you get into your 40s, you can self assess better and ask: "How many shows and concerts do I really go to?" "How much shopping do I really need?" I want to retire early, and dodge state income taxes too.

That said, you only know your impressions after you've been there. I'd say just take the job. Go explore the rest of Washington state too, decide in a year or two what you really think.

To provide some context, my first job (in a crummy economy like this one) was in Fresno in 1992. Fresno tends to be one of those butt-of-jokes cities, but I lived there 4 years and found the change from the south interesting enough. The city was at least an inexpensive place to use as a "base" for exploring more touristy parts of California.

It helps to move to a place "without expectations". I could say similar things about Charlotte, too. I didn't know much about it before moving here -- and it's been mostly positive over 7 years.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 01-03-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 01-03-2010, 02:18 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Sometimes small and boring is GOOD. Save your money for important things.

I would think Spokane would have lots of outdoor activities nearby.... I drove through there (in the mid-80's) to visit friends there and in Northern Idaho. I'll bet the cost of living is much nicer than any west coast city.

And crime? I'll bet there's not much.

I'd live there if I had to.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM

I did some more research and it seems like Spokane is great. Where I am now I get the impression that they're done building. They just constantly "renovate" older or "historic" buildings, and it is just a constant recycling of the same locations. It may not sound bad reading it but once you're here you will understand. Living in Virginia there is only so many times one can tolerate going to the confederate museum for "fun" .. especially as a African American . I just want something different.

Upon research of Spokane it appears as if the city has the ability to build up more if needed. Like your science center will be completed in 2011, your arena has the ability to compliment 14,000 people if needed? This is what I was wondering. Also your city seems a lot cleaner. It looks like a small city like here however it seems as if it does have the resources to expand when needed. I saw the art museum and you even have a waterfall in the middle of the city?!

Yes the crime is down by A LOT. 2008 we saw 31 murdersr you guys had 13 according to citydata. Some years were were in the 70s-90s when it came to murders per year so I hope this is a change for the better. My only issue now is I saw a lot of talk about meth dealers? Is it true there are a lot in Spokane? I saw a YouTube video where the FBI raids some guy's house and everything.

I plan to move within the 99205 area. What are some good schools and places to rent from? How are prices for things like groceries? Thank you all and to answer my own question no, Spokane does not seem boring, I just spent too much time on the Seattle boards.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:17 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,277 times
The 99205 area is lower NW Spokane and includes the Garland, Shadle, Audubon & Downriver neighborhoods. You should be able to find a nice rental home in this area for $800+/month. As far as activities, I have to agree with Sean_CLT's post. THere is plenty of shopping available here, but that's not the only thing to do. Most people look for inexpensive or free activities here, which was one of the main things that attacted me to this area after living in super expensive Orlando FL, where there was a charge to go anywhere, including toll roads. No toll roads here. Lots of outdoor activities and free or low cost festivals. People in Spokane generally are more laid back and not as rushed as larger cities. There are plenty of cultural opportunities available here. Lots of sports fans, the local school sports teams are well supported by the communities. There are also many classes you can take through the community college system that are non-credit "community" type classes.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:39 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Ok i have a job offer in Spokane. My family does have kids. I asked this in the general WA area and got replies like "it's boring" or "there is nothing to do" and "why would you move there" so is this true?

I am from the east coast and this will by my first city on the west coast. I am from Richmond VA and I see population wise it is very similar. Does this mean I should expect the same sort of lifestyle? We are moving hoping for some change like a faster paste of life and more to do.

At first we obviously were interested in Seattle but the job offer is in Spokane. Just how much slower is Spokane than Seattle, and just how much slower is that compared to the east coast (or my city if you have been around here) ??

I am looking for malls, lots of activities or clubs to join, great academics, lots of social interaction, culture, faster paste of life, diversity, safety, CLEAN and modern city and more opportunities for the location to grow in the future.

I am hoping to get away from the constant museum after museum.. after museum. Parks after parks after parks. I am not sure if this is a "southern thing" or what but it is like the movie Groundhog Day living here. Our entertainment is based (as a 13th colony state) on countless museums and other historical events of the PAST. I just want to move some where that is already thriving and is living for now and the future.

Are my expectations too high for Spokane?
IMO Spokane doesn't have a faster pace of life. It's quite a bit smaller than Richmond if that helps at all (Spokane UA: 334,858, Richmond UA: 818,836).

Spokane being "slower" than Seattle is a good thing IMO. Being in Spokane, you don't have to deal with traffic, high cost-of-living, and other ills that come with living in a "thriving" city.

The things that you are looking for that IMO Spokane doesn't have are:
-the faster pace of life.
-diversity. Spokane is overwhelmingly white, but IMO does NOT have the racial/ethnic issues that larger, more diverse cities have.
-I wouldn't say it's modern.

What is it that's attracting you to 99205?

I say give it a shot.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Thanks. I have been wondering what the good career fields were of Spokane. I was hoping it was healthcare and I read there are many hospitals there. I am trying to work out at deal with one job, while still trying to research and make sure it is the best career to invest in here. Can someone tell me what jobs are hot in the area? Like IT, teaching, agriculture, healthcare, construction??

Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM

71 posts, read 130,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
I think you have a long list of expectations, and may need to visit several more cities until you find the one that clicks. Part of why I follow the Spokane forum, is that I'm thinking of moving to a more laid-back place with less traffic and lower taxes. When you get into your 40s, you can self assess better and ask: "How many shows and concerts do I really go to?" "How much shopping do I really need?" I want to retire early, and dodge state income taxes too.

That said, you only know your impressions after you've been there. I'd say just take the job. Go explore the rest of Washington state too, decide in a year or two what you really think.

To provide some context, my first job (in a crummy economy like this one) was in Fresno in 1992. Fresno tends to be one of those butt-of-jokes cities, but I lived there 4 years and found the change from the south interesting enough. The city was at least an inexpensive place to use as a "base" for exploring more touristy parts of California.

It helps to move to a place "without expectations". I could say similar things about Charlotte, too. I didn't know much about it before moving here -- and it's been mostly positive over 7 years.
The States can be such a rough place to live in.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post

You are right. Spokane is slower paced but my boys loved it and were never bored. We currently live in a bigger city in another state and we hate it. We would love to move back to boring Spokane, lol..just kidding, it wasn't boring for us. It just depends on what you want, what your idea of boring is and what you are used to. I have never been to Virginia but I have heard that it is really beautiful and very nice. You may have high expectations because of where you are from

Personally if your kids like snow sports, going to the lake, taking hikes, roller skating, playing sports, going to amusement parks they will not be bored. But once again it is a matter of perspective... I envy you and I really miss Spokane. But please realize this is just my perspective and it may not be yours. Good luck on your decision... Just ask a lot of questions, do a lot of research and you will make the right choice...

Old 01-05-2010, 11:08 AM

265 posts, read 964,337 times
Is there a kid anywhere who hasn't uttered the dreaded words, "I'm bored" ?

My husband works for a major corporation and we've bounced around a few places...San Francisco, Madison, WI, Charleston, WV, Cincinnati, OH, Bloomington, IN. Most experiences have been good, with one notable exception.

That said, our youngest son was recently transferred to Spokane. He also traveled quite a bit before he accepted a position where he could put down some roots. Here is his latest message on Facebook: "Had a great night out with the wife and some friends. We got to explore Spokane, went out to eat.... this city is awesome, regardless of where ever I have traveled or lived. This is my favorite city hands down." He is rather sparse with praise, so that paragraph speaks volumes. We can't wait to come out for a visit next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area