U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 05:28 AM

438 posts, read 1,664,719 times

Advertisements

Okay, from what I can figure if we live in South Hill or the Valley we'll have Waste Management for our garbage pick up. That's the same company we have here. I was looking at their website and it seems like it's a bit different in a couple ways:
They only provide you with a little plastic bin for your recycling??? We get a 96 gallon blue can(same as the green can). I usually have that mostly filled when they pick it up every other week! I wonder how many of those little bins that is? Can you get more then one?
Also, it reads as if you could only put yard waste in your green cans. For the past couple of years, we've been able to put food scraps and dirty paper in ours--anything that is compostible including things like pizza boxes, paper plates, paper towels, etc. I'd really miss that. If I'm good with sorting everything, I have hardly any regular garbage. :~) D
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:44 AM

13,634 posts, read 26,022,191 times
If you live within the city limits of Spokane, the city (not WM) collects your garbage.

They give one can and one recycle bin (more costs extra).

Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 AM

64 posts, read 214,239 times
Spokane is REALLY behind the times when it comes to recycling Deena. Really behind. Their recycling is the same program that I had in grade school growing up in Seattle - over 25yrs ago.

There is nothing other than grass clippings and other yard waste allowed in the green bins.

The reason they give you only a blue recycling bin and not a 96 gallon one like most comparable cities is the fact that you can't recycle everything. Newspapers, phonebooks, aluminum cans, tin cans, glass bottles and consumer batteries can all be recycled with no issues. The big one is plastics. The city only allows you to recycle CLEAR/TRANSLUCENT #1 and #2 plastics bottles and jugs. This pretty much limits the recycling to milk jugs, water/pop bottles and 2 liter bottles. You can't recycle your dishwashing soap bottle, or laundry soap bottle, or anything that is not translucent and/or #1 or #2. I can't even recycle the bucket my Jam comes in or the little clear plastic container that strawberries or blueberries come in. If you do try and sneak one of these in, the recycle carrier will leave it in your bin and not recycle it.

Luckily my folks still live in the Seattle area. So my wife and I actually have an bag in the garage that we put the "non-recyclable" plastics in. Whenever we make the trip over the mountains to see them, we throw the bag in the back of the car and unload it in their 96Gal bin.

Very frustrating!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:06 AM

438 posts, read 1,664,719 times
What about the mountains of school papers my kids bring home? Can't imagine hauling all that back to my parents every few months!
I live in unincorporated Everett and our garbage company and recycling is different then the City of Everett, too. It is frustrating that it should be that way. I suppose it all depends on the recycling facilities available. I guess I'll have to take what I can get and be glad of it. It's not as bad as Boise though. When we were checking them out, I found that you had to take your own glass to a separate place if you wanted to keep it out of your general trash. What a bother for something that is fairly easily recycled. :~/ D

Old 02-02-2010, 04:54 PM

64 posts, read 214,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
What about the mountains of school papers my kids bring home? Can't imagine hauling all that back to my parents every few months!
As far as I know mixed paper is not picked up curbside. There is a facility that does recycle it however, as many businesses recycle paper in the city. I believe I once heard that if you pay extra you can put it out curbside in another bin, but they do not advertise this for some reason. Not 100% sure on this though.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM

3,603 posts, read 4,596,025 times
Does anybody know how the Waste to Energy plant changes recycling in Spokane?

Since most recycling is NOT economic. Does burning garbage to make electricity a better use of resources??

Old 02-07-2010, 11:15 AM

6,613 posts, read 11,778,251 times
Coming from Sydney Australia I was stunned to discover how very LITTLE you can actually 'recycle' here. You can't even recycle the cardboard cartons like coke etc, it has to be corrugated board, and I won't even bother to try to sort the plastic bottles anymore.

Spokane really needs to get it's act together regarding recycling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area