U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:01 AM

2,685 posts, read 5,391,714 times

Advertisements

I've known several people who made the daily commute from Post Falls to downtown Spokane for years. Commutes for many in Spokane tend to be long, but maybe less traffic then bigger metros

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I commuted from Post Falls (exit 2) to Trent/Hamilton for about a month, and it drove me bonkers. Not because of the traffic or anything, but because it was really far. If it's not a long-term thing he could probably swing it, but I totally wouldn't do it for more than a few months.

The commute from Newport is pretty one, but is hell once you reach the Y. I wouldn't do it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 12:01 PM

13,647 posts, read 26,081,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
Yeah, one of my husband's main problems is that he's really spoiled commute-wise. I think it takes him all of 7 minutes to get to work and that's if he hits the 5 lights red!
This'll be good for him. Since we're looking for a house in the Valley, he's still going to be looking at at least a 20 minutes drive once we're settled.
There was a really tempting little apartment on S Spotted Road that would be moments to work, but they wanted a 6 month lease and $400 a month. :~/ D
What specifically attracts you to the Valley? I know you said a specific school district before, but is that the only reason? Where is hubby going to work?

S Spotted Rd is near where I used to live (the 99224 represent ). I'd pay $4000/mo and sign a 50 year lease to live there again LOL.

Just a question out of curiosity here, but what part of Everett are you moving from? I spent about 1/4 of my childhood in Silver Lake (I don't think I've ever mentioned it to you before).

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I've known several people who made the daily commute from Post Falls to downtown Spokane for years. Commutes for many in Spokane tend to be long, but maybe less traffic then bigger metros
Most def! When I was in Spokane, I didn't see the point in a long commute, and since my commutes took me to Trent/Hamilton and GEG, I lived smack dab between 'em.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:27 AM

438 posts, read 1,666,988 times
Quote:
What specifically attracts you to the Valley? I know you said a specific school district before, but is that the only reason? Where is hubby going to work?
We like the area, the school district and that's where it feels the Spirit is telling us we need to be. That might sound silly to some people, but that's how I roll...
My husband is working our near the airport.

Quote:
Just a question out of curiosity here, but what part of Everett are you moving from? I spent about 1/4 of my childhood in Silver Lake (I don't think I've ever mentioned it to you before).
Yep, that's where we are! It's probably changed a lot since you were last here--it's changed heaps since I was a kid, but I think I'm 15+ years older then you! A few years ago they expanded the road(19th/Bothell-Everett Hiway)along the lake from 3 lanes to 5 with sidewalks on both sides. There are several large apartment complexes, too that have come up in the last 15 years or so. I remember when it wasn't uncommon to see people riding horses on that road .
It's been a nice, safe place to live. Anyone want to buy a house? :~) D

Old 03-07-2010, 11:30 AM

13,647 posts, read 26,081,153 times
Quote:
We like the area, the school district and that's where it feels the Spirit is telling us we need to be. That might sound silly to some people, but that's how I roll...
That's how I make decisions too.

When I looked for a rental house in Spokane, I looked at three. The small century-old house on Sunset Hill that we moved into, and two very large condos on South Hill.

The two on South Hill had more room and made more sense. The first one had TONS of room, but I just didn't "feel it". My wife was sold on it based on my description of it and pictures I sent her. The second one's landlord gave me a creepy child-molester vibe, but he had a nice place too (his vibe immediately made that one a NO).

We verbally decided on moving into the first condo on South Hill. I was going to call the landlord the next day.

That evening, I went on a drive to the Palouse somewhere, and started thinking about the house on Sunset Hill, and how awesome it was. I called my wife and said I wanted to change my mind, and she SCREAMED at me, repeatedly telling me how STUPID I was for wanting a smaller house. I just couldn't get over the "good feeling" that house gave me, it was like butterflies, and just felt right.

We spent the next day arguing about the whole thing, but I finally convinced her, and I managed to get a hold of the Sunset Hill house landlord to see if it was still available. It was! So I signed the papers etc, and it became home! I called the South Hill condo guy and told him no, and used the fact that he wouldn't let us have DirecTV as the deal-breaker.

I only tell this story because going with your gut/feelings is the only way to happiness and contentment IMO. I wish you luck!

Quote:
Yep, that's where we are! It's probably changed a lot since you were last here--it's changed heaps since I was a kid, but I think I'm 15+ years older then you! A few years ago they expanded the road(19th/Bothell-Everett Hiway)along the lake from 3 lanes to 5 with sidewalks on both sides. There are several large apartment complexes, too that have come up in the last 15 years or so. I remember when it wasn't uncommon to see people riding horses on that road .
It's been a nice, safe place to live. Anyone want to buy a house? :~) D
I was last there in 2003. I was on my way up there this summer, but traffic and time out of Seattle made me nix the trip (another one of those gut feelings, actually). I wanted my wife to see it, because I hold that neighborhood up as an "ideal" one.

I stayed with my grandparents there (35th Ave SE/116th St SE) every summer from 1989-1999. We'd go swimming at Silver Lake, we'd bike through Pioneer Trails, we'd cause neighborhood mischief, it was always fun. I loved it, and I would move there in an instant (I'd buy your house even, probably) if it snowed there more. I just can't bring myself to live somewhere without tons of snow.

I can't believe they've widened that road. They're still trying to ruin that place.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 PM

23 posts, read 53,434 times
The S Spotted road area is really beautiful It's borderline Cheney/ Spokane- lots of pine trees and Cheney schools (Windsor elementary is amazing if you have kids and one of the brand new middle schools is slotted to go into that area as well-- Cheney is very progressive about adding spaces). But I could be biased, it's less then a mile away from me so obviously I love this area. It is definately a lot more rural then the valley, we get more snow too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area