U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2007, 10:38 PM
 
1 posts, read 6,215 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Spokane this summer. I've read posts that have offered some ambigious or harsh responses. I get the whole crime and drug thing, I get that it gets cold, and something about homeless people. Some have mentioned nicer, more affordable housing "a few miles" outside of the city, which areas would these be? I have young kids and I'm looking for a suburban type of atmosphere... family-friendly neighborhoods, well kept parks, solid schools, restaurants, stores, access to outdoor rec, etc. Liberty Lake seemed nice, but are their others. My husband will be working downtown, so we'd like to stay within a decent commute. I'm also having a problem discerning the different school districts and which are some of the strongest. If they are all about the same, then that is fair too. I'm a teacher, so I'm really interested in any districts that frequently face turmoil and disorganization as well as schools and districts that are known to be schools with poor results and lacking opportunities for children. Thanks a ton for your help!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 AM
 
22 posts, read 59,637 times
Reputation: 12
I realize this wasn't addressed before:

There is the Mead, District 81, West Valley, East Valley and Central Valley school Districts. As a teacher you are aware the lower income (or free lunch qualifications) influence the quality of the school. Obviously hunger, family issues, medical issues, behavioral issues influence the learning in the class and have been found to inluence the schools state scoring.

I have heard a lot of people moving to the Mead are mostly because of "the schools score" There are issues with that area like access to medical care and distance to services, the airport and the freeway

I am in the Central Valley school district and it seems they fight with West Valley as being "the Best". Central Valley has more schools that you can't "Choice" into (Choice: meaning to enroll your child into a school that is not your local boundry schoool) You will have to live in a designated area to get your child in that school. Registering later in the year can put you on a waiting list at some of the schools in some of the grades. Registering the first day of school can be a bad idea.

I own a house in the West Valley school District as well. I have not lived there but the neighbors rave about it and I know plenty of parents who drive their kids because they "choiced" them in. I know the property taxes in that district are significantly higher. Supposedly to subsidize the schools.

I actually moved out of District 81 because I did not want my child in the school I was required to go to when they moved the school boundries after a school closure. Also the school that was listed when I bought the house was not the right school, it was off by one street. Always verify with the school District if the school is an issue to make sure you are buying inside the boundry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 06:25 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
649 posts, read 1,590,614 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokane County Girl View Post
I realize this wasn't addressed before:

There is the Mead, District 81, West Valley, East Valley and Central Valley school Districts. As a teacher you are aware the lower income (or free lunch qualifications) influence the quality of the school. Obviously hunger, family issues, medical issues, behavioral issues influence the learning in the class and have been found to inluence the schools state scoring.

I have heard a lot of people moving to the Mead are mostly because of "the schools score" There are issues with that area like access to medical care and distance to services, the airport and the freeway

I am in the Central Valley school district and it seems they fight with West Valley as being "the Best". Central Valley has more schools that you can't "Choice" into (Choice: meaning to enroll your child into a school that is not your local boundry schoool) You will have to live in a designated area to get your child in that school. Registering later in the year can put you on a waiting list at some of the schools in some of the grades. Registering the first day of school can be a bad idea.

I own a house in the West Valley school District as well. I have not lived there but the neighbors rave about it and I know plenty of parents who drive their kids because they "choiced" them in. I know the property taxes in that district are significantly higher. Supposedly to subsidize the schools.

I actually moved out of District 81 because I did not want my child in the school I was required to go to when they moved the school boundries after a school closure. Also the school that was listed when I bought the house was not the right school, it was off by one street. Always verify with the school District if the school is an issue to make sure you are buying inside the boundry.
this is just silly or you just aren't familiar with this area mead is closer to a hospital (Providence near francis) than you are in west valley...and there are less "issues" with mead then any part of the valley.....less crime in mead, better property valuse, newer consturction around the mead area then any part of the valley...including west valley....so the north part of spoklane is far more attractive area to live than the west valley....west valley is smack in the center of an unattractive industrial area with a railroad running through if and lots of beat up neighborhoods....not to mention that fact that there seems to be a "ban" on sidewalks in all the spokane valley neighborhoods, to inculde west valley, except the very specific new housing developments and then you pay dearly for those sidewalks with neighborhood association fees which you don't have to sign up to to live in the mature areas in north spokane which inclulde the mead area......just my humble opinion
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 PM
 
22 posts, read 59,637 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
this is just silly or you just aren't familiar with this area mead is closer to a hospital (Providence near francis) than you are in west valley...and there are less "issues" with mead then any part of the valley.....less crime in mead, better property valuse, newer consturction around the mead area then any part of the valley...including west valley....so the north part of spoklane is far more attractive area to live than the west valley....west valley is smack in the center of an unattractive industrial area with a railroad running through if and lots of beat up neighborhoods....not to mention that fact that there seems to be a "ban" on sidewalks in all the spokane valley neighborhoods, to inculde west valley, except the very specific new housing developments and then you pay dearly for those sidewalks with neighborhood association fees which you don't have to sign up to to live in the mature areas in north spokane which inclulde the mead area......just my humble opinion

Moderator cut: rude

The post your rambling is referring to just listed school districts.

Northwood is not smack dab in the middle of anything besides a beautiful hill. It is above Millwood and over looks Spokane Valley. I was referring to the West Valley school district. I own a home in Northwood. I own houses in 3 school districts.

And BTW I live in Liberty Lake. Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by Count David; 03-06-2012 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: rude, off-topic, orphaned
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Spokane, WA
101 posts, read 202,673 times
Reputation: 68
We are spoiled here in Spokane. Schools are very good in many of the districts. However, there has to be some that are better and best. I've lived in Spokane my whole life, and I do a lot of research about schools for my job. From a real estate standpoint, I'd say Mead and Central Valley SD are the most preferred and highest performing. These are the most common school districts that buyers tell me they want to live in. I live in Colbert, so I might be a bit bias, but Mead school district is highly respected, and has been for quite some time. Test scores are very strong from 4th-12th grade and dropout rates are near zero. Many schools from grade school to high school have won many awards and boast some impressive accomplishments, both with academics and sports. You can look up a ton of statistics that really set Mead apart from other districts. The Mead SD is in north Spokane. The farthest reaches of the district in Colbert and Mead are about 26 minutes from downtown. Liberty Lake is about the same commute (although you're driving 60mph). There are a ton of Lakes and recreation north of spokane and in surrounding areas. My favorites up north are Greenbluff farming community, Mt Spokane state park, and any one of the 15 lakes within 40 minutes of Colbert/Mead.
CVSD is also highly respected in many of the same regards Mead is. Choosing between the Valley and the Mead area isn't really a comparison, it's a preference. They are entirely different cities, and very different parts of the greater Spokane area. Hope that helps. Have a great day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 04:40 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,428 times
Reputation: 10
What is the safest areas of Spokane to raise a family and live a suburb lifestyle with friendly neighbors and clean safe parks and shopping? Can have a commute time I don't mind as long as it's safe. I have two sons one 3 the other 9 and will need to be near a good school. My husband operates machinery and lays water and sewer. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 04:42 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,428 times
Reputation: 10
Also, I am coming from a tiny town in Wyoming and have never lived in a city and am diving in blind cuz I've never been to Spokane lol but I am absolutely in love with it from weeks of researching it, we want a city life style always something to do affordable housing endless food types of restaurants and most importantly fun in summer and winter
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2017, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
20,136 posts, read 22,190,385 times
Reputation: 15219
Remove that blindfold. You're liable to be eaten by a pothole.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2017, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Pullman, WA
226 posts, read 230,369 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthenameswerechosenwyo View Post
Also, I am coming from a tiny town in Wyoming and have never lived in a city and am diving in blind cuz I've never been to Spokane lol but I am absolutely in love with it from weeks of researching it, we want a city life style always something to do affordable housing endless food types of restaurants and most importantly fun in summer and winter
Yeah, uh, hate to break it to you but you're probably going to want to visit. Those brochures with all the sunny pictures of Riverfront Park in July don't tell the whole story.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2017, 12:18 PM
 
156 posts, read 151,213 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upthewazzu View Post
Yeah, uh, hate to break it to you but you're probably going to want to visit. Those brochures with all the sunny pictures of Riverfront Park in July don't tell the whole story.
Alright, I am still new here (moved in August) but we are having endless fun. There are so many lakes and parks, and trails to visit that we've been to Riverfront Park only 4-5 times since we came. In the summer we loved hiking, biking, swimming, fishing and going to the farms for berries and apples.

Winter - snowboard and skiing, we haven't tried snowshoes yet but I heard it is fun, too.

If you have a stable job you should be fine here. I am not sure what you mean by city life, but there are restaurants and places to go for a drink, and some culture life which I've enjoyed, too.
Disclaimer: I am not a city person, we live in a small town near Spokane and we are happy with low key laid back life near nature but close to the city if I want to go to a concert, or a restaurant.

My husband does not like the architecture of Spokane, I agree that there are many areas which look run down. But I chose to focus on the nature that is all around, and ignore the ugly parts of the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top