Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM

74 posts, read 307,111 times

Advertisements

I am a 40-year-old single female thinking about moving to Spokane from NYC. Just spent a couple of years in the Seattle area, but housing prices are too high and I want to buy. My concerns about Spokane are meth/crime (parts of Western WA seemed bad also) and how single-friendly the city is. I drove through it a couple of times and it seems so isolated. I like that Spokane has 4 seasons and a lot of recreational activities. Washington is such a beautiful state. But I am also concerned that housing prices have jumped and that property taxes in Washington are high (from what I have been reading on the forum).

Any Spokane residents can advise on being single in Spokane and current housing? Any eclectic, bohemian areas of the city? I don't mind family friendly, but I do need some diversity, night life, etc.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 12:33 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,054 times
You will probably like the older neighborhoods of the South Hill for their charm & uniqueness, also they're close to downtown night life, shopping & arts. You could also look in the Garland & Downriver/Audubon Park neighborhoods which are just north of downtown - also older style homes, charm & character with neighborhood shopping available as well as being close to downtown. I'm not single but if I were, those are areas I'd look at living in.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:40 PM

74 posts, read 307,111 times
Thank you Wendy!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:55 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,147 times
Spokane will definately be a change of pace from NYC!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:04 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Spent a day or 2 in Spokane.......can get hot in summer.just like all of western Washington............move on over to Idaho,, not very far, in miles , but everything else.......wow, cooler also......now you are in heaven !

Old 06-07-2007, 02:11 AM

4 posts, read 33,520 times
My partner and I have decided to move there for just that reason. It seems to be fairly diverse, growing, and yet green. We are real estate investors so the increasing market is good, too. Hope you enjoy it.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,126 times
I'm not a realtor and I have nothing to sell you.

I've been a resident of Spokane for nearly 15 years and after travelling extensively I would be hard pressed to find a better 'package' for lifestyle, activities, cost of living and housing. We have explored relocations to Seattle, Boise, Madison (WI) and Fort Collins (CO) and have opted to remain in Spokane. Spokane is a conservative community that has undergone major transformations, particularly in attitude, in the last 5-10 years.

The previous message of the South Hill and Audobon are fair comments. Older bungalow housing and extensive park systems exist in these areas. Browne's Addition hosts the Museum and river access as well as Victorians, bohemian and college crowd. Newer housing options are available to the far north (Wandermere, Colbert) as well as to the far south (Latah Valley, Browne's Mountain).

Access to Canada, Idaho, Montana and the Metropolitan hubs of Seattle, Portland and Vancouver B.C. are easily within a days drive.

The view from I-90 leaves something to be desired, but actually get back into the established neighborhoods and you may be very much surprised by the quality that exists.

Meth, crime?? Isolated and predictable. A non-issue.

Our neighborhood (Manito) has been swelling with recent (single) transplants from Sacramento and San Diego as well as a host of airline industry professionals that easily commute from SIA but are able to own and enjoy a nice home in a nice area. Similar with military folks who own and return to the area as are able.

Can't speak to the dating scene but nightlife does exist (although a drastic comparison from NYC) and the majority of folks we know focus their interests in the outdoor activities.

Spokane is definitely worth further investigation. Missoula, Bozeman (liberal), Sandpoint and Couer d'Alene (conservative) may also be of interest. Kalispel and Whitefish also get a lot of attention being near Glacier Nat. Park but are more isolated than the others.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 AM

31 posts, read 141,425 times
Nice post from jmc73.

Also, in regards to property tax, keep in mind we don't pay state income tax in Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area