Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM

33 posts, read 288,237 times

Advertisements

Spokane is not, not racially tolerant. That myth needs to be busted now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 PM

426 posts, read 958,490 times
So bust it. mod cut:

But show us some facts, not....

"A friend of mine has a cousin who got a dirty look from someone one time in Spokane."

Pop quiz, what was the first major city in Washington to elect an African- American Mayor? (hint: It wasn't Seattle)

What large Washington city currently has a Female of Native American descent serving as Mayor? (See the above hint)

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-07-2009 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: acusing others on the forum of being a troll is not allowed. Do it in private or report it to a moderator. Thanks.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
So bust it. mod cut:

But show us some facts, not....

"A friend of mine has a cousin who got a dirty look from someone one time in Spokane."

Pop quiz, what was the first major city in Washington to elect an African- American Mayor? (hint: It wasn't Seattle)

What large Washington city currently has a Female of Native American descent serving as Mayor? (See the above hint)
mod cut: flaming removed

And if you're really attempting to say Spokane is a tolerant city, you live inside a tiny little shell.

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-07-2009 at 09:38 PM..

Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,054 times
I think fy10fyr was wondering why you came onto this thread with your comment about racial intolerance that was not related to any of the previous posts in any manner. What was your purpose in posting this comment?
Cities are not tolerant or intolerant -- people are. It appears you must have been in a situation where you perceived that someone from Spokane was unfair or discriminatory. That is your perception and your opinion. Others may have different experiences.
For a good look at how diversity is welcomed here in Spokane, check out all the upcoming celebrations of Martin Luther King Day. Remember the Unity in the Community celebration that takes place each August to showcase the many different types of people living in the Spokane community. There are many groups of people in Spokane who try to make a difference and show that there is diversity here, and that all are welcome to share their culture & beliefs.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
I think fy10fyr was wondering why you came onto this thread with your comment about racial intolerance that was not related to any of the previous posts in any manner. What was your purpose in posting this comment?
Cities are not tolerant or intolerant -- people are. It appears you must have been in a situation where you perceived that someone from Spokane was unfair or discriminatory. That is your perception and your opinion. Others may have different experiences.
For a good look at how diversity is welcomed here in Spokane, check out all the upcoming celebrations of Martin Luther King Day. Remember the Unity in the Community celebration that takes place each August to showcase the many different types of people living in the Spokane community. There are many groups of people in Spokane who try to make a difference and show that there is diversity here, and that all are welcome to share their culture & beliefs.
Actually, I've read several posts on this thread that tooted Spokane's horn of diversity. Having lived in Spokane, yeah, I have an opinion. Spokane is not, not tolerant.

And you're wrong. A city, as a whole, is judged on the collective attitudes of its citizens. If a group of people begin to make changes, then the perception of the city changes as well.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 PM

87 posts, read 373,042 times
Just having moved to Spokane, I have an experience to share. Went to our neighbor's house for dinner on New Year's day and we had such a diverse group, it was great! African American, Hispanic, Italian, and even someone from Palau, (Palauan?), and even a mixed race couple and kids.

Granted, it one one isolated experience, but I was impressed and pleasantly surprised. Such a nice group of people too, down to earth, friendly, all the things we love about being back in the west!

Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRiverRat View Post
Spokane is not, not racially tolerant.
So... Spokane is tolerant then? I kid (I see the comma).

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but, as you point out, the opinions of others on this site differ with yours regarding the collective tolerance of Spokane (and the citizens that comprise Spokane). I'm not sure any place is free from intolerance, Spokane included.

That said, my experience (and that of some others here) is that Spokane is a pretty tolerant place. For example, I've cited before on these boards that I'm in a 'mixed' marriage and have never had any issues in Spokane. My experience might not be universal but it certainly indicates a certain level of racial tolerance in the community at large.

What is it that has made you consider Spokane an intolerant community?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kena View Post
So... Spokane is tolerant then? I kid (I see the comma).

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but, as you point out, the opinions of others on this site differ with yours regarding the collective tolerance of Spokane (and the citizens that comprise Spokane). I'm not sure any place is free from intolerance, Spokane included.

That said, my experience (and that of some others here) is that Spokane is a pretty tolerant place. For example, I've cited before on these boards that I'm in a 'mixed' marriage and have never had any issues in Spokane. My experience might not be universal but it certainly indicates a certain level of racial tolerance in the community at large.

What is it that has made you consider Spokane an intolerant community?
Kena - Thanks for the input. Obviously your experiences are important because your marriage isn't terribly typical in that region.

You also seem as though you're a nice person, so I'll spare you the "I saw this; I heard this," back and forth that accomplishes nothing.

What I will say is, I guess diversity is about perspective. If you grew up in Ephrata, moved to Spokane to attend college and never moved, of course you'd think Spokane was a tolerant town ... apply both sides of the card.

But, if a black man asked me if he'd enjoy living in Spokane, from my experiences, I'd not only tell him no, I'd tell him Hell no.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:51 AM

231 posts, read 1,081,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRiverRat View Post
Kena - Thanks for the input. Obviously your experiences are important because your marriage isn't terribly typical in that region.

You also seem as though you're a nice person, so I'll spare you the "I saw this; I heard this," back and forth that accomplishes nothing.

What I will say is, I guess diversity is about perspective. If you grew up in Ephrata, moved to Spokane to attend college and never moved, of course you'd think Spokane was a tolerant town ... apply both sides of the card.

But, if a black man asked me if he'd enjoy living in Spokane, from my experiences, I'd not only tell him no, I'd tell him Hell no.
Fair enough. Spokane is still a predominately white city (though it is slowing diversifying). That fact can make it difficult for some, particularly, as you say, if they are coming from an area that has more diveristy. Although Spokane is not the most diverse city, I don't feel it is an overly intolerant city. I suppose that a relative lack of diversity doesn't necessarily translate into a lack of tolerance. That said, it is too bad if you have experienced otherwise. I'm optimistic that as Spokane continues to diversify (racially and otherwise) people of all backgrounds will feel welcome.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kena View Post
Fair enough. Spokane is still a predominately white city (though it is slowing diversifying). That fact can make it difficult for some, particularly, as you say, if they are coming from an area that has more diveristy. Although Spokane is not the most diverse city, I don't feel it is an overly intolerant city. I suppose that a relative lack of diversity doesn't necessarily translate into a lack of tolerance. That said, it is too bad if you have experienced otherwise. I'm optimistic that as Spokane continues to diversify (racially and otherwise) people of all backgrounds will feel welcome.
Thank you for the discussion. I truly hope you continue to enjoy Spokane more than I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area