Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:13 PM

135 posts, read 599,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
In yesterday's (Sunday) Spokesman Review newspaper, there is an 18 page section full of job classifieds in Spokane. Of these 18 pages, 4 full pages are under the dental/healthcare & medical section. Another 3 1/2 pages are under the Professional section. There's about 1 1/2 pages of Skilled Trades, 2 pages of General employment, and 1 1/2 pages for Office Admin & Accounting/Financial. Only 3 individual ads under Retail (none for Claire's Boutique). Several other miscellaneous sections. It appears that there are plenty of employment opportunities available to people who are looking for jobs in this area, depending on their level of experience, education and skills.
You didn't have to go rifling through the classifieds to prove me wrong. I have read from numerous different posters on here over the past year, about how difficult it is to find and get a job.

Following up on all of the so-called jobs you found could actually prove to be very difficult to actually 'get' hired into one of them.

Here is a quote from someone infact that posted very recently here regarding yes, a nursing job!!!

"As a nurse, it has taken longer than it should to find work here."

Why is that?? You did say that there were 4 whole pages related to dental/healthcare and medical????

I would say if a nurse is having a hard time getting a job in Spokane, that pretty much speaks volumes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 07:30 PM

33 posts, read 196,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes3fils View Post

I didn't like how the different classes of homes were so intermingled. Your $500k home could have a $85k home within 1 block.
Yes, but if that home is well cared for, clean and has respectable people living there who care about their neighborhood, then what is the problem? That the home is worth only $85k or is it something else? Isn't economic diversity in a neighborhood healthy?

Quote:

I believe the next 'real' larger city that is closest to Spokane is Seattle!! 6hrs away, this really bothered me....when we were deciding if Spokane was for 'us'. And since IMO it's not a 'real' city in itself, I realized we need to be very near one.....6hrs is not very near.
It looks like Karlos was trying to say that Seattle is only 4.5 hours away (Portland about 5.5 hours). And, what is a 'real' city? One that has a professional sports team? A subway system? 2.9 art galleries per capita?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:57 PM

54 posts, read 223,872 times
Default I just have to ask

Mes3: Although I would agree with you about the job market here-it is very difficult for me to find a job here and I am an educated, well spoken individual (although some would disagree) with a good work ethic, I just have to ask why you insist on finding and posting every negative aspect of Spokane. I was under the impression that when you visited, you decided that Spokane was not for you. That is certainly a personal decision that you did not take lightly, however, since it seems that this city is indeed not for you, wouldn't it be more prudent to continue your research of other cities and let Spokane go? I respect your opinion, but I have made my home here and it makes me wonder what your obsession is with a city you have on many occasions made clear you will not move to.
I think I have done a pretty good job in being fair and honest in my opinion of this city, and I don't think from one visit you can possibly understand all of the aspects of a city even with extensive internet research and opinions of friends.
yeah, I am ready for the backlash, but I couldn't help but comment.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 PM

[quote=photogoddess;1223713]I just have to ask why you insist on finding and posting every negative aspect of Spokane.

I am sure that there are other negative aspects that I have not posted on Spokane.

I was under the impression that when you visited, you decided that Spokane was not for you. That is certainly a personal decision that you did not take lightly, however, since it seems that this city is indeed not for you, wouldn't it be more prudent to continue your research of other cities and let Spokane go?

We HAVE let Spokane go. No need to be so sarcastic. Do I not have the right to continue to post once in awhile on the Spokane threads? Or, is there some sort of rule saying that since we're not moving there after all, that I am no longer allowed here?

I respect your opinion, but I have made my home here and it makes me wonder what your obsession is with a city you have on many occasions made clear you will not move to.

I am in NO way obsessed with Spokane. How ludicrous. Can I ask then why are YOU so obsessed with knocking me every time I don't paint a rosy-fantasy-like picture of the town?

Look all of you who are entirely too sensitive for your own good.....I am beginning to wonder if you yourselves don't have a problem with Spokane....but it's where you are and so you don't want to have to deal with having to read certain not-so-pleasant realities of the town. I also have to wonder if Wendy doesn't like me posting the negative truths on here because it may take some potential business from her.

If Spokane has a poor job market-what's the big deal? Accept it and let me or anyone else include that in a post for goodness sake's-without being attacked!

Photogoddess, if you are living there in Spokane and really are happy then my silly posts about employment should not bother you as they apparently do. That's just my opinion. But, I guess that doesn't matter here in the Wa. forum.

And metrospokane-Spokane IS isolated, you can't say it's not. CDA is by no means a decent sized city, are you just another one who likes to avoid reality? What is so difficult here?

You all need to relax a bit, geesh!!

All in all, Spokane is a beautiful town in most parts. That I saw anyway. The trees, the mountain backdrop and the nice ppl-to name the major positives....

Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,477 times
Default Need info on Spokane Area

I have mixed feelings with all that I am reading. I'm from Alaska and would like to retire around the Spokane area. Folks, Meth labs are everywhere in the U.S. including AK! I need someone who can really tell me about the weather in the past 5 years, if land is subdividable in the area as I'm looking for property to keep in my family, not to make a subdivision! Who do I need to contact to get this info. I've never been to your area but I feel such a strong pull there. It looks to be a plus with everything I have researched so far. Help! Please!

Old 08-07-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSurfer View Post
...if land is subdividable in the area as I'm looking for property to keep in my family, not to make a subdivision! Who do I need to contact to get this info. ?
Depending upon where your property is located contact the planning department of the appropriate jurisdiction (Spokane County, City of Liberty Lake, City of Spokane Valley, Cheney, etc.) They should be able to tell you what the zoning constraints are as well as regulations on short/long plats. A very useful tool can be found at:
SpokaneMaps.com
or
www.spokanegis.org

Good luck.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
And metrospokane-Spokane IS isolated, you can't say it's not. CDA is by no means a decent sized city, are you just another one who likes to avoid reality? What is so difficult here?
Easy...easy. I didn't mention anything regarding 'isolation' as you call it. I Was merely pointing out that Karlos2121 was saying that Seattle is a little closer than 6 hours away.

Quote:
...are you just another one who likes to avoid reality?
wow. Just...wow. Good luck on your relocation.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:27 AM

Default you all have nerve....

obviously you're not some of the nicer ppl of Spokane....and have nerve instigating or knowing I have been instigated by others...and then tell me 'easy, easy'.

In the original post here that brought this onslaught of mini-attacks, I mentioned NO ONE'S name did I? I merely gave my opinion from the research that I have done. Apparently, that's not allowed here. One must be stifled unless presenting lala land or always positive information about Spokane.

I will continue to post under the Washington forum if I so choose to...and I will no longer respond to any of your insulting posts to me. Frankly, it's childish and just plain rude.

I have 3 children thank you. And they are NOT rude.

And, yes, rose-colored glasses are good most of the time, but when ppl come on here looking for pros and cons about a town, they need to be able to see both sides. Spokane has many good sides, but also has the flip side. I feel you ones who want to 'hide' that side are being dishonest. And I think dishonesty is just awful. So, maybe that's why I post the negatives so much for Spokane, to make up for the rose-colored glasses that 'some' (no names mentioned) of you seem to wear just a bit too much.

Again, I will no longer respond to your 'rudish' posts. I am NOT a rudish person but you put me on the defensive so much and then it's just silly how you have the nerve to tell me to 'calm down'.

Go play your games somewhere else.

And have a great day.

Last edited by mes3fils; 08-07-2007 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-07-2007, 07:47 AM

Default my 2 cents....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmountain View Post
Hoping to finally get an answer here to exactly which areas are meant when referring to red-neck and white-trash-feeling areas of Spokane. Not a trick question, either. I just don't want to waste time getting interested in perhaps a certain piece of property around Spokane and then find out I made a terrible mistake when I arrive there to see it in person. Thanks
It's very intermingled. Like I mentioned in a prior post....there are half-million $ homes that are near pockets of 'white trash' laden areas.....where you'll find a small shack painted a shocking color and cars in the yard......Not saying this is in every neighborhood but was one thing that turned us off.

Here where I live, it's more cut and dry. This section/area of town is 'nicer, middle to upper class' and the lower class, trashy area is miles away and won't affect our home value. That's the way it should be IMO. You know WHAT you're buying and WHERE you're buying.......

You need to plan a visit before getting interested in any piece of property, that's my suggestion anyway! Good luck!

Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 AM

54 posts, read 223,872 times
Default How about this?

Knowledge is power and I would hope that every opinion here is of value to someone. It was not fair of me yestarday to be so confrontational and judgemental. (see #21) So, how about a funny, then we can move forward...

25 THINGS YOU SHOULD HAVE LEARNED IN YOUR CAREER

1. If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out.
2. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.
3. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.
4. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
5. If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
6. My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.
7. Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
8. It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
9. For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program.
10. If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip.
11. Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.
12. A conscience is what hurts when all of your other parts feel so good.
13. Eat well; stay fit; die anyway.
14. Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.
15. No man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.
16. A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
17. Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.
18. Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
19. Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.
20. There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
21. Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
22. By the time you can make ends meet, they move the ends.
23. Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.
24. Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
25. It ain't the jeans that make your butt look fat.

moving on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area