Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 04:45 PM

231 posts, read 1,079,227 times

Advertisements

Opinions vary of course but I thought Spokane was a great place to grow up and one of the reasons I hear most frequently as to why people live in Spokane or have moved back once they start a family is that it is a great family town.

Spokane was great growing up for almost anything outdoors related: camping, fishing, hiking, I must have gone to the park thousands of times and played football, baseball, etc. In the winter there is sledding and skiing.

There isn't a full fledged zoo but there is cat tales: Cat Tales Home Page which has all manner of large cats from tigers to cougars (live ones). Plus, there is Silverwood, water parks, minor league sports, college sports, children's theater, Mobius, art classes, etc.

Some people are only happy in living places with all the amenities of a large metro area (like Chicago or San Diego) and are happy to trade the things that tend to come with that in return for such amenities. If that applies to you, chances are you won't be happy in Spokane without a change in outlook. If you dig a little deeper, however, there is a reason so many people choose to raise their families in Spokane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 05:58 PM

36 posts, read 272,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifti1969 View Post
This place is a haven for white trash!
Are the majority of Spokenites white trash?!!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rams View Post
Are the majority of Spokenites white trash?!!
No.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,412,967 times
We are also looking at relocating to the Spokane location, more so, near Deer Park. Seems to have a good amount of options for boating, hiking, biking, camping and the such. Also we are from this state, presently in the Kennewick area; main item we don't like is the heat in the summer months and the often strong winds, which we found out is common here. Temperature gets to around 110 on a good day in the summer. Another reason for moving to Spokane area is the availability of the Air Force base and local VA in the county , being an Army veteran. We have family in Spokane that lived here for years and it'll be nice to be closer to them , and they also state that Spokane has it's great benefits, such as many parks, restaurants and theaters for entertainment. No city-county is perfect for everyone, just find the best for you and your family, and if need be, move; but do some research first.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:21 AM

438 posts, read 1,790,741 times
It's all fine and dandy to have things like a zoo and aquarium like we do in Seattle--IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO GO TO IT! A day at the zoo totally wipes out our budget and that's with packing a lunch. We only seem to go when people are in town and hopefully Grandpa will pay for it.
Just driving into Seattle is painful (as I'm sure it is with many big cities). Technically, it should only take about 30 minutes but the other day I got stuck in a huge traffic mess and it took me an hour and a half just to get to get to my exit and my daughter missed her doctor's appointment that took 8 months to get (all this because thousands and thousands of Boeing machinists had to go into town for a union rally and vote!). I reckon I nearly used up $20 in gas to just to turn around and come back. While I'm sitting there crying in frustration, I can't help thinking that Spokane is looking better and better. Sitting around watching the grass grow seems a lovely alternative to ripping my hair out by the roots as I memorize the license plate in front of me.
I guess my actual point is that some of us don't need to shell out big bucks to be entertained. It's fun once in a while, but it doesn't need to be a lifestyle. Maybe I'm just not as sophisticated as some, but I don't need gourmet food, liquor, or wild animals to be happy. :~) D

Old 07-25-2008, 10:26 AM

3,900 posts, read 5,126,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
It's all fine and dandy to have things like a zoo and aquarium like we do in Seattle--IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO GO TO IT! A day at the zoo totally wipes out our budget and that's with packing a lunch. We only seem to go when people are in town and hopefully Grandpa will pay for it.
Just driving into Seattle is painful (as I'm sure it is with many big cities). Technically, it should only take about 30 minutes but the other day I got stuck in a huge traffic mess and it took me an hour and a half just to get to get to my exit and my daughter missed her doctor's appointment that took 8 months to get (all this because thousands and thousands of Boeing machinists had to go into town for a union rally and vote!). I reckon I nearly used up $20 in gas to just to turn around and come back. While I'm sitting there crying in frustration, I can't help thinking that Spokane is looking better and better. Sitting around watching the grass grow seems a lovely alternative to ripping my hair out by the roots as I memorize the license plate in front of me.
I guess my actual point is that some of us don't need to shell out big bucks to be entertained. It's fun once in a while, but it doesn't need to be a lifestyle. Maybe I'm just not as sophisticated as some, but I don't need gourmet food, liquor, or wild animals to be happy. :~) D

Zoos aren't cheap, the kids and I go once or twice a year on Two Buck Tuesdays, hardly big bucks. Not only can kids go with their families, but can also go on school field trips.

I don't care about gourmet food, I'm a meat and potatoes guy, but do like the numerous brew pubs around Portland and Vancouver.

What I notice in the posts of everyone defending Spokane as a great place to live is "you are close to everything here". That's the problem. If you want to do something besides go to a park or a bar, you have to leave Spokane. There is really nothing else going on in that town. I now, they have renovated a couple of historic buildings downtown, but a city can only live in the past for so long. If a town wants to grow, it has to have more to offer.

It is the largest city between Seattle and Minneapolis, it could be so much more. In order for that to happen though someone has to step up an take a chance. No one is willing to do that.

Spokane went from a city that hosted a World's Fair to a city that just quit trying. That's sad.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
. Spokane went from a city that hosted a World's Fair to a city that just quit trying. That's sad.
I just don't think that is accurate. Over the past 10 or so years, there has been a good deal of progress in Spokane and a stronger sense of civic pride than anytime since Expo 74. A good microcosm is the Spokane Arena.

After much consternation, voters finally passed a tax increase for the new arena and it opened in 1995. With it, people began to see Spokane as a market that could attract major events. Concerts like The Eagles, Dave Matthews Band and Garth Brooks began stopping in Spokane. It slowly changed people's mindset that they didn't have to go to Seattle to get first level entertainment. That change in mindset lead people to think Spokane is the kind of place that can host national events.

Along those lines, Spokane has hosted numerous high-profile sporting events many of which are typically held in much larger cities. Spokane has played host to NCAA national volleyball final four, mutiple rounds of NCAA mens and womens basketball tournament and the 2007 US figure skating championships (and is set to re-host in the olympic year of 2010). This event ususally goes to much larger cities (06: St. Louis, 05: Portland; 04: Atlanta; 03: Dallas; 02: L.A.; 01: Boston; etc.). Not only was Spokane selected to host among these cities but set a record for attendance in 2007 (when you look at it per capita, that is pretty amazing). That doesn't happen in a city that has quit trying.

Spokane still has room for improvement but it has come a good distance from the quit trying mindset that held the city back for a while in the ever more distant past.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:09 PM

41 posts, read 120,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
We are also looking at relocating to the Spokane location, more so, near Deer Park. Seems to have a good amount of options for boating, hiking, biking, camping and the such. Also we are from this state, presently in the Kennewick area; main item we don't like is the heat in the summer months and the often strong winds, which we found out is common here. Temperature gets to around 110 on a good day in the summer. Another reason for moving to Spokane area is the availability of the Air Force base and local VA in the county , being an Army veteran. We have family in Spokane that lived here for years and it'll be nice to be closer to them , and they also state that Spokane has it's great benefits, such as many parks, restaurants and theaters for entertainment. No city-county is perfect for everyone, just find the best for you and your family, and if need be, move; but do some research first.
The drive from deer park to fairchild afb is apporx 45 to an hour on a good day. Add traffic, winter weather, then it a bit longer to get to the base

Old 07-25-2008, 09:15 PM

3,900 posts, read 5,126,178 times
Quote:
After much consternation, voters finally passed a tax increase for the new arena and it opened in 1995...Concerts like The Eagles, Dave Matthews Band and Garth Brooks began stopping in Spokane.
Funny you should bring up the arena. I still lived there when it opened. I voted for it as a matter of fact.
They should have built it larger. It seats just under 13,000 now. They could have built it to seat 18,000 and gotten even more business. It's the only city in a wide area that can support a large arena, yet built it to smaller standards. That's what I meant by saying Spokane could be so much more.

I also believe the Gorge Amphitheater did more to get Spokane noticed than the Spokane Arena did.

Quote:
Spokane has hosted numerous high-profile sporting events many of which are typically held in much larger cities...That doesn't happen in a city that has quit trying.
It's a small arena and it's cheaper to rent than arenas in other cities. Plus, televised events like smaller venues. They sell out easier. Sold out seats equal full seats and that looks good on TV.

I know renovating old buildings is nice, but that only does so much.

They need to start thinking about the quality of life aspect. Spokane needs a zoo or some other destination attractions so people want to visit or move there. A better quality of life attracts new growth and business. Instead of building another card room, perhaps someone will build a plant that provides real living wages and career opportunities.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:49 PM

15 posts, read 66,248 times
I disagree that the "quit trying" mindset is going or gone in any significant way. I wouldn't say it's diminished at all. "Maybe," some things have opened up a little but not near to where they should be and there is still a backwardness that is really hard to surmount. In fact, you can't, you just have to learn to deal with it.

If you want a stimulating, forward-thinking, and up-to-the-present place to live, Spokane just ain't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area