Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:24 AM

48 posts, read 73,523 times

Advertisements

What are the Pros and Cons of these cities? We are a family with kids in grade school. Looking to buy home in range 320-425k. Liberty Lake doesn't have much inventory and it's mostly newer homes that are much less SQFT or just the new direction of building much smaller homes. It appears LL is more expensive than most areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 10:11 AM

526 posts, read 386,066 times
With your price range I don't think you can go wrong with either area. All things being equal, go with the place that has the best home value for you. The schools around here are 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. It's more about your kids abilities, intelligence, and work ethic along with your involvement that will give them academic success, than it is if they go the "best school evah" for elementary education.

I live on the north side, Indian Trail so know lots of people out in the Mead area. It's nice, but on a personal level I'd go with Liberty Lake. It would depend on the house and neighborhoods I was able to get a home in.

Someone else can give you more specifics on each place, but just quick gut reaction I'd go with Liberty Lake over Mead. And for God's sake, get a smaller house. It's about the love inside the home not sq ft you can brag to your friends about (not that you are THAT kind of person) but I think the trend towards smaller homes is awesome. Besides, with the kind of outdoor activities you can do in this area, even during winter, you won't want to spend too much time inside your house.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2017, 12:05 PM

LS thank you for your input!

Isn't Liberty Lake super close to I-90? How far is Mead to I-90?

I never go off the best schools or school digger evaluations and you are spot on about parents involvement along with good work ethic.

I'm just a type of person that likes some extra space especially a game room and nice sized garage for a shop. For a family of 5 I need at least 2400 sqft, but nothing over 2900 sqft. With this in mind, the bigger home the larger energy bill in Winter and Summer.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:36 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
And for God's sake, get a smaller house. It's about the love inside the home not sq ft you can brag to your friends about (not that you are THAT kind of person) but I think the trend towards smaller homes is awesome.
It has been very difficult for us to find a newer home (less than 20 years) with 3BRs, 2 baths, 1,800- 2,500 sq. feet with some acreage (minimum 1A with no view of neighbor's home) within 30 miles to Felft Field airport (important for our flying/rowing hobby).

All the houses with acreage, privacy and a view that we can find are typically huge with 4-6 BRs, 3,500 to 6,000 sq. ft.

If anything, I intensively dislike big houses but may end up having to buy one bigger than our need or want just to have a decent size lot with trees and a view.

We will be in the area in few weeks looking at 6 possible houses with only 2 just a bit below 2, 500 sq.ft. The other 4 are in the 3,500-4,500 sq. ft range.

We had thought of buying a nice suitable lot and have a builder built a small house to our spec but nice treed lo meeting our location criteria has been impossible to find. Our realtor also told us that it is very difficult to get water/sewage permits etc. for new homes. All the newer homes offered by builders are on barren former farmland subdivision lots of <1A.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:49 PM

Any thoughts to the low inventory of homes the Spokane area? Maybe it's just my price range. So with that in mind is it fair to say it's a sellers market? Does the market usually pick up in May?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:54 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLabs View Post
Any thoughts to the low inventory of homes the Spokane area? Maybe it's just my price range. So with that in mind is it fair to say it's a sellers market? Does the market usually pick up in May?
It is mostly a seller's market now except in the price range over $500,000. Very little inventory anywhere and when new homes come on the market, we're seeing multiple offers and frenzied activity. Regarding the comparison of Mead to Liberty Lake, I would say it depends on where you'll be working and what you need to be close to. Mead/North areas are farther from I-90 but have plenty of other shopping and services nearby. Liberty Lake tends to have newer homes on smaller lots but is close to I-90, Idaho and Spokane Valley services.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM

Work will be downtown Spokane. Which is an easier commute during the Winter? Which is less congested and more scenic?
Thank you Wendy!

Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 PM

486 posts, read 842,328 times
I work in Downtown Spokane and I live near Liberty Lake (East Valley area). It takes me approx 15-20 min for the commute (7:30 am/5:00 pm). Might add an additional 5-10 min in the snow.

Being close to I-90 opens up alot of stuff either way you go. Gas is cheaper in Idaho and since we are close if we go to CDA restaurants (Texas Roadhouse, Cracker Barrel) or to Cabela's in Post Falls that Spokane doesn't have, we fill up.

Plus, there are two full 18 hole & a 9 hole golf course(s) in LL. And the lake is right there for swimming/hiking/relaxing. Plus, you are closer to Lake CDA which is wonderful.

I have been thru North Spokane, but don't really have too much insight that way as I have no reason to go there.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:38 PM

18 posts, read 29,038 times
We are also thinking of relocating to the Spokane area or Tri Cities and we were just there last week. With just a quick overview of the area I would say Liberty Lake is more scenic. I really wanted to like North Spokane because the private school we would like to have for the kids is in Colbert but the Mead area just didn't move the needle.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:24 PM

486 posts, read 842,328 times
Housing here is getting competitive as well....

Competitive Spokane housing market follows trends of shrinking inventory, upsurge in home prices | The Spokesman-Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area