Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelocal View Post
I too am in pokane. If you are going to get an accounting degree, try Eastern Washington University. They are cheap, and have evening classes (in the business program) at the riverpoint campus downtown. I currently am four months away from getting a BA in business administration with majors in finance and management from EWU. I'm going to get an MBA from EWU as well. Thats what I would do if I were you. I would stay away from university of phoenix because their degrees are worthless. They are not AACSB accredited (the accreditation that matters, th same one that only accredits 5% of B-schools worldwide), and they got horrible reviews. One review I read said their master's program was an "MBA-lite." Gonzaga has a Master of Accountancy degree you might want to look into. Whitworth's business degrees are not accredited either. One bonus to getting an MBA is that since your BA is in business it will only take you one year to complete, and it will postpone you having to find a better job. As for the money thing, I would look outside of Spokane. I've lived here my whole life and would love to stay, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to relocate as well if the market doesn't improve. Besides, Spokane has horrendous salaries in comparison to most other major metropolitan areas in the country. This town just doesn't seem to appreciate education as much, combined with the fact that there just isn't a whole lot of money here like there is in Seattle or Portland. Anyway, given your preference for the accounting field, I would recommend the MAcc option from Gonzaga. Large corporations will value that over a BA, and it more than qualifies you to sit for the CPA exam. And Gonzaga was ranked the 58th best B-school in the US this year. Just some food for thought.
I'm wheels up for Louisville, KY in less than 30 days now. Thanks for the info though. I got my undergrad from Whitworth and I'm pretty sure they have the same accreditation as everyone else. U of L is always talked about as being one of the best business programs in the country. Plus you have a lot of major companies headquartered there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 AM

13 posts, read 39,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokanelocal View Post
I would stay away from university of phoenix because their degrees are worthless. They are not AACSB accredited (the accreditation that matters, th same one that only accredits 5% of B-schools worldwide), and they got horrible reviews. One review I read said their master's program was an "MBA-lite."
I wouldn't say U of P is worthless. I have a masters degree from there, and it's opened some doors for me. Granted, my degree's not an MBA, and I actually went to the classroom for school, none of this online stuff, but I think having a masters can only help you. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: