U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:12 PM

231 posts, read 1,012,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
1. Spokane last saw 70 degree temperatures last September. It has been raining and cold for the past ten days, with no relief in sight.
Spokane recorded temperatures of 69, 73, 74 and 75 degrees in April of 2010, with the first 70+ degree day on April 16. History : Weather Underground

Of course, if 70 degrees is the cut off for winter weather, much of the country experiences "winter" for seven months of the year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:08 AM

20,098 posts, read 21,992,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kena View Post
Spokane recorded temperatures of 69, 73, 74 and 75 degrees in April of 2010, with the first 70+ degree day on April 16. History : Weather Underground

Of course, if 70 degrees is the cut off for winter weather, much of the country experiences "winter" for seven months of the year.
September to April = seven months.

You obviously don't get out of Spokane much.

It shows.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:24 PM

231 posts, read 1,012,340 times
Just pointing out your assertion that Spokane hadn't yet hit 70 degrees was incorrect. I don't see anywhere I claimed September - April was unequal to 7 months. Of course, none of this will change your Goldilocks relationship with Spokane's weather. Spokane's weather is what it is. Some people like it, some don't. I don't care if you like it or you don't, just putting the facts out there.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:18 PM

20,098 posts, read 21,992,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kena View Post
Just pointing out your assertion that Spokane hadn't yet hit 70 degrees was incorrect. I don't see anywhere I claimed September - April was unequal to 7 months. Of course, none of this will change your Goldilocks relationship with Spokane's weather. Spokane's weather is what it is. Some people like it, some don't. I don't care if you like it or you don't, just putting the facts out there.
Goldilocks, my azz. After the freezing hurricane we've experienced the last two days, and the below-freezing temps expected tonight (typcial for early May in Zero City, I might add), it would be impossible to conclude any "fact" other than that Spokane weather sucks. Big time.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:15 AM

858 posts, read 2,281,238 times
To the OP: Please ignore yeledaf. While I don't post on the Spokane forum much (I live in Portland after all), I've never seen a post by yeledaf that wasn't bitter or troll-like. Assuming you like all four seasons, Spokane has some of the best weather anywhere.

To yeledaf: Get off the below 70 degrees = winter kick, and either grow a pair or move to someplace like San Diego / Pheonix if the weather is such a downer for you!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,409 times
It is amazing to read the "night and day" viewpoints about
Spokane. I guess you really need to experience it for yourself and come up with your own conclusion as noted by some of the messages I read. Overall, it leaves a big question in my mind.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,720 times
I've lived in the area (Spokane, Coeur d'Alene, then Spokane again) for 34 years, both as a young single person in a Browne's Addition apartment and as a parent raising kids in a home near the South Perry area now.

Spokane averages 260 clear days per year and has four distinct seasons with great year-round recreational opportunities and easy access. For more on weather see Spokane Welcomes You.

As for traffic, my perceptions are shaped by the fact that I commute by bike nearly year round (I stop when it's snowy or too icy for drivers to stop when they mean to). When not biking I mostly use Spokane Transit.

We have an active and growing community of cyclists of all types and abilities. Check out Bike to Work Spokane | Work to Eat. Eat to Live. Live to Bike. Bike to Work and Everywhere Else! for links to local blogs, a list of shops/services, and more.

Traffic in downtown Spokane isn't at all bad when compared to much higher-density larger urban areas. We have rush minutes, not rush hours--you can get across town (by car) in about 20 minutes if you need to. Sure, a given intersection might be a hot spot for a little bit but it's not 24/7 and streets aren't full of cars--I can bike down Riverside Avenue (in heart of downtown) in the middle of the day and have a lane to myself. Airport is about 12 minutes away from downtown.

Blog suggestions:
For a view from someone younger than I check out local blogger The Spovangelist — A mid-sized city miracle!. She writes quite a bit about the local art/music scene.
Local cycling: Cycling Spokane
Food/restaurants: SpoCOOL : A Spokane Blog.
Transportation (policy orientation): SRTC Transportation Blog

Politics: The 3rd state legislative district is all Democrats; 6th LD is mixed (2 D/1R); others outside downtown all R. You can find whatever kind of politics you want to connect with here.

Diversity: Yes, high percentage of whites but many of them working to make sure this is a welcoming and inclusive community. Mayor Mary Verner is Native American. Check out AHANA Business Education & Training Program - Home for business connections among people of color. Increasingly active GLBTQA community: INBA | A Professional Gay and Gay-Friendly Business Organization.

@BarbChamberlain

Old 01-26-2012, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 29,869 times
I install for Comcast in Spokane and know every neighborhood and street from Mead to Spangle to Cheney to the state line. The diversity depends on which area you live in. Some are 99% white, while others are very diverse. Once you get over into Spokane valley and head towards Idaho you wouldn't believe how white and racist people are. Cheney, Downtown Spokane, Northside, and lower South Hill have no problems with diversity.

As for weather, we do have 4 great seasons. Every year they're a little bit different. Sometimes longer summers, sometimes longer winters.

Spokane does have a major drug problem, which has gotten a lot worse since this post was started. There are some very bad areas to avoid. The nice areas are great though, just bring money and a good job if you plan to live in them!

Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM

14 posts, read 43,972 times
Yes Spokane is white. But it doesn't create problems and no, we aren't racist. Are we done with this now? Sheesh.

Weather depends on the year. The last three winters have been no problem. In fact it seems our weather may be changing (not to start a global warming theme). When I was a kid (I'm nearly 28) we had snow every single year and the snow never stopped. It was rarely deeper than 4-6 inches, but we always had snow.

Last winter we had a pretty brutal November, but the rest of the season was one of the driest on record. We had a VERY wet and VERY long spring in 2011. It was 40-50 degrees all the way through mid June. Gross...

This winter has been even easier. We've had maybe couple inches here and there, but nothing crazy. I believe Dec 2011 was one of the driest December ever. I think we had one storm in January that dumped 6-8 inches. That was the worst we've had. So far it's been a very windy, rainy 2012.

Traffic is pretty much minimal. Spokane has expanded the freeway to help with future traffic needs. You'll get some "rush" hour, usually from 4-6pm. But traffic rarely stops and it usually keeps moving, even if it's just 20-30mph. Traffic can load up on the side roads like Division, Market, Argonne, Pines, etc but again it's nothing crazy. I've always blammed poor traffic light timing, not necessarily the amount of cars. Spokane is getting larger year by year, but we still pride ourselves on quick commutes and easy access. There VERY few areas with in the region that you can't reach within 20-30mins. Freeway offramps are generally easy to understand and the city is laid out in a grid-like pattern. If you're lost, you'll soon find a major road that will take you back to familiarity.

There are some rotten areas in Spokane, but most areas are at least okay - especially compared to other larger cities. Car thefts and vandalism are the most common types of crime.

Last edited by joejoe509; 03-21-2012 at 12:52 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 05:01 PM

140 posts, read 363,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den2Spo View Post
White ? Conservative ? Boring ? Traffic filled ?
I don't care about politics so I can't tell who's democrat who's conservative.
Boring - yes. There are shows once in a while, but you have to look hard to find out about them.

Downtown is a drug addicts/drunks/punks pit, especially on Fri/Sat nights. They just hang out in the street, yell out nonsense or beat each other down. Maybe there are some normal people in there, but they're hard to discern behind all those screaming and hand waving drunktards.

Traffic - no. This is one absolutely positive thing about Spokane. Other than deliberately desynchronizing traffic lights on north/south bound arterials to make sure your commute turns from 10 min to 30 min one and you pollute as much air as possible, it's great.

Quote:
What part of Spokane would you move too if you were a foodie-night-life-loving-liberal-minded-29 year old man / future social worker?
We don't have a dedicated neighborhoods of foodie-night-life-loving-liberal-minded-29 year old man/future social workers, so I'll just say, anything South Hill above 14th or so is good. Stay away from areas with many rental condominiums - that's where all the trash lives mostly. But again, on South Hill it's going to be less of a problem than on North side.

Quote:
Does spokane have nice resturants?
Okay restaurants, I haven't been to anything particularly remarkable, depends what you're looking for.

Quote:
Live music ?
I don't know. I have no interest in rock/punk music. I don't think anybody in Spokane can play anything else.

Quote:
What are some of these nicer neighborhoods to live in? Judging by this crime map it seems that South of I-90 and the northwest part of town are alright ?
Yes. South Hill is nice from around 9th to 14th (depends which side of it you're on) and south. Far northwest has some nice small neighborhoods, surrounded by white trash ghettos. Getting to and from I-90 is going to be a pain, there are no good southbound arterials, so you'll be spending a lot of time in traffic in ugly streets if you decide to live in NW part of town.

Quote:
From craigslist it seem that an average one bedroom should cost around 500 does that sound right ???
In crappy, drug and crime infested condos, yes. Otherwise I'd suggest expecting to pay at least 800 for anything decent (ceiling thicker than paper and no Section8 24/7 screaming/playing loud music neighbors)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area