Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:57 AM

57 posts, read 238,536 times

Advertisements

It is looking like I might be relocating at some point to go to EWU and I am having a hard time finding out about Cheney. I am told the living is a hair cheaper than Spokane and also that they have some programs that might be good for my autistic preschool boys. I am not completely unfamiliar with eastern WA in general, as I spent a couple of years in Pullman, although much of my life has been on the wet side of WA, where I am currently in Longview. However, I am finding it hard to get a good picture of what Cheney is like and has to offer. I will be on a very tight budget, if that is any help for advice-giving. Timeframe would be either this fall maybe or next fall possibly. Also we have some health issues, so we don't want to get too far away from Spokane in general.

Thanks for any and all assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,313 times
Speaking generally (not ever living in Cheney) it is a classic small college town. It has a small commercial district and is dominated by EWU. I would think it is a bit cheaper than Spokane but can't say for sure. I hear the schools are decent and though it feels separate from Spokane you're still pretty close for those things you can't find in Cheney.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:21 PM

47 posts, read 134,276 times
He's a vile evil corrupt war mongering villian. Don't ever let him near your home or business or children. He may be part of the brain stem behing Gee Duh-bya, but he's even more evil and devious than Karl Rove, (Bush's brain). We'll all be paying for Cheney and Bush's evil-doins for decades, both fiscally and in the world arena.....

That said, I knew you were talking about Cheney Washington but I thought this would be a fun bender.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:27 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
Cute response Artemesia! I am truly enjoying your posts.

One thing to remember about Cheney WA is that it's pronounced "Cheeney", not "Chainey" like the evil fellow you referenced.

Spokanites have their own pronunciations for certain words -- Gonzaga is "Gone zag uh" never "Gon zog uh" - hence the "zags" term.
Also Manito Park is "MAN i toe" not "Maneeto", as many people initially think.

Getting off on a tangent here....happy Sunday all!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:44 PM

47 posts, read 134,276 times
Hello Wendy K realter personage,
I'm having fun on the various sites and links as well. My man and I have tabbed about 20 homes in the Spokane area that look promising even though we're a good three years off from being able to buy there. We find the prices very very reasonable, especially compared to the cost of even a shack in the SW. We're anticipating retiring (he retires, I still have to work because I'm only 45 ish) and moving up there in a few years.

It's good to know the local colloquialisms. Utards have some funky pronounceeeashuns and to use proper English sets you apart as an outsider, possibly "Golden prospect" for the Mormon missionaries, or someone to be a little suspicious of, especially if you suggest that George W. Bush is an ignorant arse and should be sent to Guantanamo and waterboarded. The proper Utard prouounceeeashun for ignorant is "ig-nert", and by Gawd, "he's the greatest prez-u-dent this country has ever had!!!". Whatever you do in Utah, don't wear a Barack Obama insignia on your jacket and walk into the country gas station. A scarlet letter A with neon flashing lights would be more welcome.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 AM

6 posts, read 31,719 times
Hi, having kids that do go to EWU and live in Cheney, hopefully I can help you some.

If you are going to school full time, then living in Cheney will save on gas as my kids have had roommates that moved to Spokane only to move back to Cheney due to the drive and the gas. You will find utilities are a bit more spendy in Cheney and having to have good credit to get an apartment and the right ratio of income/debt is harder than Spokane simply because of all the young adults there the parents always has to sign for them to get an apartment since their income does not meet requirements. There are really nice apartments and some decent reasonable apartments anywhere from 450 to 750 for a 2 - 3 bedroom. Cheney just built a Bi-Mart and there are 2 grocery stores there, of which Safeway is one. There is a Walmart in Airway Heights that was just built which is about a 15-20 minute drive. There are medical clinics in Cheney and in fact you will be paying for the use of one when enrolling in EWU.

I would also look in Airway Heights for apartments since that is close and nice ones are there as well as shopping. Between the two places you should be able to find something that suits your needs while you go to school.

However, I will stress again that the kids are glad to live close to school due to the amount of homework and spending less time on the road and due to the classtimes may not always be in order each quarter. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 AM

33 posts, read 147,537 times
Default Cheney photo album

I took these photos in 2005. The middle school is grades 7-8 and was built in 1977. I attended school in Cheney in the 1970s. There are four lakes near Cheney, I forget the names. The last two thumbnails are of Cheney Middle School, which is on the outskirts of Cheney. The first thumbnail is an entrance to EWU. The second thumbnail is just an apartment building in the middle of Cheney near the old high school. The fifth thumbnail is a view of Lake Coeur D'lene in Idaho.
Attached Thumbnails
Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-ewu-entrance.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-ewu-entrance-001.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-lake-cheney.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-lake-cheney-004.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-lake-cheney-001.jpg  

Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-lake-cheney-002.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-new-cheney-jr.-high.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-new-cheney-jr.-high-001.jpg  

Last edited by Kalifornian; 03-21-2008 at 01:24 AM..

Old 03-21-2008, 01:07 AM

33 posts, read 147,537 times
Default More pics of Cheney, WA

More pics of Cheney, the first three thumbnails are more of Cheney middle school, the first is the main entrance off to the right of the building. The fourth thumbnail is a panoramic bird's eye view of Cheney and the fifth is a cornfield on the outskirts of Cheney (looking north?) The sixth thumbnail is of "Bowl & Pitcher" and the Spokane River in Riverside Park in Spokane, seventh is of the restaurant and pier on one of the lakes and the last one is a bird's eye view of Cheney and some buildings which are part of EWU, I think. That last photo is a shot looking east of Cheney and EWU.
Attached Thumbnails
Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-new-cheney-jr.-high-002.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-new-cheney-jr.-high-003.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-new-cheney-jr.-high-004.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-new-cheney-jr.-high-005.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-new-cheney-jr.-high-006.jpg  

Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-bowl-pitcher.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-lake-cheney-005.jpg   Can somebody tell me about Cheney?-old-fisher-jr.-high-2.jpg  

Last edited by Kalifornian; 03-21-2008 at 01:18 AM..

Old 04-18-2008, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 7,968 times
Default Living in Cheney

My family & I have lived in Cheney for 2 yrs., in Spokane since 86'.
In Cheney, it has all the amenities of a small town with very friendly people, but only 15 minutes to Spokane. EWU is a great University, I have friends that have students there, choosen, not settled for. Spokane has the best in all types of medical services. Cheney schools are populated with the best teachers who love to teach & it shows in our children. Cheney is growing & is slightly less expensive, but the word is getting out. Spokane county is growing in leaps & bounds with Cheney, West plains areas starting to see that growth out west of Spokane. You may want to check out the local Newspaper here, [URL="http://www.cheneyfreepress.com"]www.cheneyfreepress.com[/URL]

Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 PM
MZM

9 posts, read 19,052 times
Nice work every body.
I'm currently thinking about applying for MBA program with low tuition, and it is easy to say that I'd viewed most of the public schools in allover the states of which offers low tuition for out-of-state student, I'd sent EWU one e-mail just to inquire about the total cost of attendance; every once and a while they sends me e-mails just to ask me if I need any further assistant, however my bachelor degree is not from US college, and the application form require a school code which happened that the college I obtained it's code wasn't in the system, when I e-mailed them complaining about this issue, they'd updated their system just for potential student! now imagine how would do such thing!
They must be a nice people, very corporate and much helpful, Also the university has many events involving Cheney's resident to participate with these events.
I believe for an college student it would be much delightful life could have, But the thing thats makes me have a deep thinking about it; is it's weather at winter! I don't know why I have cold weather!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area