U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 04:54 PM

20,098 posts, read 21,991,266 times

Advertisements

1. A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you sit in the left lane waiting for the same jerks to squeeze their way back in before hitting the construction barrels.

2. Turn signals are just clues as to your next move in road battle, so never use them.

3. Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you no matter how fast you're going. If you do, the space will be filled in by somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

4. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

5. Never get in the way of a car that needs extensive body work.
(Remember no-fault insurance: he might not have much to lose, you do.)

6. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even a person changing a tire. If you're lucky, you may see the breakdown victim get mugged, the proceeds of which are vested directly into the Democratic
frontrunner's campaign for governor.

7. Learn to swerve abruptly. Spokane is the home of the high-speed slalom driving thanks to the street department, who put potholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them on their toes.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:49 AM

4,925 posts, read 10,162,022 times
Sounds like Spokane's just following the national rules...if so, you better add tooling along in the left lane at approximately .000025 mph faster than the guy in the right lane. Or just riding in the left lane, because, you know, you might want to turn left in about 15 or 20 miles or so.

Dressing, eating, putting on makeup, drying your hair, reading, texting---heck, doing anything else except paying attention to your driving.

An inability to understand the concept of merging...you know, actually using the on-ramp to get up to the same speed as the highway you're getting on. There is no stop sign at the end of the on-ramp.

Be sure to ride your brakes just to keep the people behind you on their toes in case to decide to actually stop. We know you view it as a community service, keeping drivers alert like that.

Be sure to have your stereo system that cost more than your crap-box car with the really cool airplane wing-size rear spoiler and rad non-functional hood scoop duct-taped to the hood turned loud enough so that everyone else in the same zip code can enjoy the same death metal or rap/crap that your discerning musical tastes call for.

Spokane is one up on the area I currently live in...at least in Spokane they give you some warning that there is a lane closure ahead.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:30 AM

508 posts, read 929,174 times
oh these are funny i am crying... i tried to read them to my co-workers but they didnt get it... i guess its a spokane thing.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
oh these are funny i am crying... i tried to read them to my co-workers but they didnt get it... i guess its a spokane thing.
It's also a Huntsville, AL, San Francisco, Portland, OR, Seattle, WA and Nashville, Tn thing as well.

You see this type of driving behavior every where now.

Although, I do have to admit, it does still seem that many places still have their own individual quirks, or things they do more than most places.

I've seen more people turn right from the left hand land (or left from the right hand lane) in Nashville than any where else.

Huntsville seems the worst for tailgating than Spokane. And speeding. At least in Huntsville they go fast enough that if they hit you, they'll kill you. In Spokane, they'll just maim you for life...

Old 05-10-2010, 10:32 PM

438 posts, read 1,664,302 times
I blame all the transplanted Californians!

Why not? They get blamed for everything else wrong with Spokane, Seattle, Boise, Missoula... :~) D

Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 AM

67 posts, read 227,798 times
I would suggest that if you think Spokane has bad and discourteous drivers you probably have never lived in a city with more than 250,000 people in your life.

Ironically almost every person who has visited us in Spokane has commented about how courteous and law abiding most of Spokane drivers are. Of course these individuals live in:

Los Angeles
Phoenix
Miami
Baltimore
NYC
Pittsburgh
San Diego
Denver
Honolulu
San Francisco

All slightly bigger cities where drivers are aggressive and the rules you have written down really apply.

Just as a side note since someone else mentioned it; out of all of the places I have lived, and there have been quite a few, Nashville gets the grand prize for the worst drivers in America.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredChef View Post
Just as a side note since someone else mentioned it; out of all of the places I have lived, and there have been quite a few, Nashville gets the grand prize for the worst drivers in America.
I suggest looking at Huntsville, AL (roughly Spokane-sized), Atlanta, and Boston to make Nashville look like great drivers.

Boston gets my vote for both worst and rudest. San Francisco, at least when I lived there in the '80s, always drove fast, but at least drove well.

I've always found the PNW in general to head and shoulders above the rest of the nation in good drivers.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 AM

13,627 posts, read 26,010,974 times
The only negative (for me) about driving in Spokane was when there was road construction on I-90, and the on-ramp lane went straight into the one thru lane and nobody bothered to let me in....even to the point where they'd speed up to not let me in.

There was another time, when a fender-bender on N Division near Wellesley didn't bother moving out of thru traffic. They stood there, talked, and exchanged information while blocking two lanes and backing up "rush-hour"'s traffic.. The worst part is that nobody seemed to mind.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:05 PM

94 posts, read 216,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
I blame all the transplanted Californians!

Why not? They get blamed for everything else wrong with Spokane, Seattle, Boise, Missoula... :~) D
I think anytime people come from overcrowded cities where driving is challenging they bring their driving habits with them.

It's the degradation of the driving habits in Spokane that is so noticeable. 20 years ago if you put on a turn signal people would actually let you over. Now they will hit the gas to close up the gap. After all if they let you over they will arrive at their destination 1/2 second later

Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 PM

10 posts, read 48,244 times
Okay, but for us folks up in the hills (Colville here) you people drive so mean! I mean really. My fiance no longer let's me drive in Spokane because the majority of the people are rude rude drivers and I end up yelling at people who can't even hear me. Spokane's driving skills are like their people skills. Smile at someone in a Spokane store and watch them look at you like you're a total psycho. Smile at someone in Colville and people smile back. That's how people should drive...common courtesy is a must! Although it doesn't seem to be very common anymore for anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or