U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 PM

4,925 posts, read 10,158,239 times

Advertisements

I, too, currently live where you can wear the air...

Attached are some stats concerning cost of living in Spokane...and just for grins, I threw in some stats concerning Louisville as well.

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Louisville, KY snapshot

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Spokane, WA snapshot

Moderator cut: link removed, please read our terms of service

This last one is interesting...it compares basically how far a $35,000 salary in Spokane translates to Louisville...according to it, the cost of living is 0.6% higher in Louisville...

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

However, Sperling's has this to say about the two places...it says Louisville has a lower cost of living...

I've always known Louisville had lower housing costs than Spokane...most of the southeast does. But, despite so many talking about how dangerous Spokane is, and comparisons to Compton notwithstanding, you're much more likely to be a crime victim in Louisville than Spokane. You're more likely to be a crime victim nearly any where more so than Spokane...

Yeah...I'm off work this afternoon...and just a little obsessive...

Last edited by Yac; 06-21-2010 at 06:48 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 01:00 PM

470 posts, read 965,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Attached are some stats concerning cost of living in Spokane...and just for grins, I threw in some stats concerning Louisville as well.

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Louisville, KY snapshot

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Spokane, WA snapshot

This last one is interesting...it compares basically how far a $35,000 salary in Spokane translates to Louisville...according to it, the cost of living is 0.6% higher in Louisville...

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

However, Sperling's has this to say about the two places...it says Louisville has a lower cost of living...

I've always known Louisville had lower housing costs than Spokane...most of the southeast does. But, despite so many talking about how dangerous Spokane is, and comparisons to Compton notwithstanding, you're much more likely to be a crime victim in Louisville than Spokane. You're more likely to be a crime victim nearly any where more so than Spokane...

Yeah...I'm off work this afternoon...and just a little obsessive...
Well Louisville is the 16th largest Metro in the country and did a city/county merger a while back. It is interesting to note that you would expect the majority of the crime to be downtown Louisville, but it is actually in low-income neighorhoods to the south and west of Louisville, but still located in Jefferson County which is also the city of Louisville.

You also have to remember that Louisville like many developed cities has transportation infrastructure above and beyond what you would find in Spokane. So in Spokane 8 miles seems far because you have to travel on 30 mph streets to get there but you could live 30 mins outside of Louisville in neighboring Mead and Bullitt and counties and find housing for even lower. Neighborhoods in these counties might be as far as 30 or miles away from Louisville, but with I-65, I-64, Dixie Highway, Watterson Expressway, Gene Snyder Expressway, and I-71 your 30 plus mile commute only takes as long as it would take you to crawl up say Division or Hamilton during rush hour.

Plus Louisville has names like:

Papa Johns
Yum Brands
UPS

The new Army Human Resources Command has popped up in Ft Knox which is 30 mins southwest of Louisville and has entry level jobs around the $50 K a year range.

Spokane's high paying growth drivers are:

ummmm

uhhhhh

uhhhhh

Last edited by Yac; 06-21-2010 at 06:47 AM..

Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 PM

3,845 posts, read 4,785,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleorthid10 View Post
Both have that and everything else I need. Spokane has a lower cost of living and a way lower mold spore count.
Did I hear someone mention mold spores? Unfortunately, that's become a big concern of mine, a concern that explains my recent relocation to the Southwest. Is there any website (or other source, for that matter) which lists a daily tally for mold spore counts in Spokane? And do you know off-hand how the mold count there compares to what's found in the more extremely dry Southwest?

Spokane is the one city I'm still pretty interested in possibly relocating to, but it would probably be a mistake to do so if the outdoor mold count was much higher than what it is here in Albuquerque.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 17,628 times
Well, after living in the Fort Knox, KY area twice during my husband's army career.....I'd be RUNNING to Spokane! Louisville lacks so much its not funny. At least Spokane has visual beauty as one of its attributes. Louisville....what...the gangsta lined downtown streets? Aged brownstones? The low pay and lack of jobs? Give me a break. The second time we lived there I had to receive all my OB care at the Univ. of Louisville which is downtown. Everytime I had an appointment I was nervous about getting mugged. I know Spokane has its downfalls, as every city does, but sorry I don't think they hold a candle to Louisville's issues. And unless you want to live in the outskirts "that" cheaply.....you'll be living in a trailer house or a less than stellar rental w/ a view of everyone else in the world. Kentucky has something against fences and love electric fences to shock pets. Only state I've ever been in that its been so widespread.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 PM

804 posts, read 2,611,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonia View Post
Greetings! I’m planning a move to the Pacific Northwest this August but having trouble choosing between Portland, Oregon and Spokane, Washington. I’m way past the party stage of life and wanting to focus on writing and hopefully making some chill new friends with similar interests. I have some money saved up, so I can weather a job search when I arrive. There’s no way I can visit beforehand, so it’s kind of a leap of faith. ;]

I’m drawn to Spokane because of the close proximity to the Rocky Mountains, more manageable size (for a big city), and lower cost of living. I’m concerned about the crime (a friend told me it’s a “drug-trafficking hub”) and accessibility to new arrivals.
As mentioned above, I’m partially drawn to Spokane due to its nearness to nature. How close are the big mountains? Are they accessible without four-wheel drive, e.g. trail-head access?

Finally, if anyone has experience of both Portland and Spokane, which did you prefer?

Thanks in advance!
SPOKANE SPOKANE SPOKANE... that is my vote. Well actually if i was you I would head over to the Post Falls/Coeur d'Alene area to live. Much cheaper than Spokane and a better quality of life atmosphere too. The mountains are within about half a hour of anywhere in the area you choose to live.
It all depends on what you call accessible and what kind of 'trails' you are looking for. There are numerous hiking trails, not the fully maintaned with picnic tables and restrooms, but rural hiking/game trails you can follow for miles and experience the wildlife up close and personal. In the spring and fall you will see hunters on these same trails so wear some orange clothing.
Spokane has the nickname of "Spocompton" and in some parts of the city rightfully so. You will find this activity in any larger town and with Spokane being the largest town west of Seattle there may be a problem in parts of town. I would not let that influence your decision. Portland has the same problems with drugs and crime. If you look at the per capita crime rating I am willing to bet Portland is a lot higher than Spokane and definatly a lot higher than the Post Falls/Coeur d'Alene area is.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:39 PM

981 posts, read 2,159,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kena View Post
...Spokane is a normal city as far as crime is concerned. Yes, there is crime but I wouldn't call Spokane a drug-hub at all. There are many nice, safe neighborhoods and a few that are a bit rough around the edges. Spokane is considered a pretty family friendly place and its crime statistics are consistent with cities of a similar size (see old threads on this)...."
So, what's with the data that show it to be a major druggie area, with corresponding theft & burglary rates? I'm guessing you live in one of the better parts of Spokane.

Meth Statistics in Washington

Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 PM

20,094 posts, read 21,983,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
So, what's with the data that show it to be a major druggie area, with corresponding theft & burglary rates? I'm guessing you live in one of the better parts of Spokane.
That's the point that she was making, I think. There are a lot of better parts of Spokane, and very few bad ones. And the bad ones are well-known to anyone who lives there:

1. the west central neighborhood, Broadway, Dean, etc., past the Public Safety building and the courthouse

2. parts of the lower southwest side, west of Maple

3. parts of Hillyard / Minnehaha

4. the neighborhoods just east of Gonzaga and north of Mission park

5. just south of the freeway between Altamont and Freya

Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 PM

4,925 posts, read 10,158,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
...and very few bad ones. And the bad ones are well-known to anyone who lives there:
...and the "bad" is relative. Spokane's bad can look like disneyland compared to some cities' "bad", and the size of scale is not that large, again compared to many other cities.

There's "Spokane-bad" and then there's, say, "Chicago-bad" or "Detroit-bad"...

Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
I still have to ad to everyone's "low cost of living" pros to living in Spokane, the con of wages being even lower. If you are not in health care or being heavily recruited to come here with the promise of a living wage job, I would personally not recommend moving here.

Now if you are ok with never owning your own home and having your salary ten years behind everywhere else in the country, then Spokane might be the town for you. My own goals are driving me to move to greener pastures.

Most jobs here in Spokane typically pay $10/hr and Spokane is a small economy that lacks any high paying growth drivers so there really isn't any need for local employers to be competitive on their salaries. If you feel like you can get by with a $500 a month apartment rent with a $400 a week paycheck before then Spokane might be for you. I just want to share the otherside of the low cost of living coing which is equally low wages.
RE $10/hour, I'd like to know specifically what types of jobs pay that wage. There is no such thing as an average job to an individual worker. That sounds like a lower end median wage at best. It all depends on context and abilities.

Surely a good number of people in skilled trades (my category) are making at least $20/hour, and managerial/paper-pusher types considerably more. How else would anyone afford the better homes in the area? Salary tables on this very site show income ranges.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 AM

Default Less crime in Spokane than Portland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
...crime is a zillion times higher in portland then spokane....
Upon what do you base that, though? In all the threads I've read on this site, I still can't get a handle on why some people describe Spokane as low-crime, but the stats show the opposite. And other people harp on Spokane's crime as if the area just drags you down into misery. Is it largely a matter of where one lives and who one interacts with daily?

//www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Oregon.html (2010 Crime Index = 395)

//www.city-data.com/city/Spokane-Washington.html (2010 Crime Index = 550, with notably higher robbery, assault, burglary and theft rates than Portland in various years)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area