U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 PM

1,000 posts, read 4,507,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
There is no doubt that Portland is hipper and sexier than Spokane, especially for younger people. But the folks in Portland know how wonderful they are, and are not afraid to express their wonderfulness. At length. And that kind of thing can become wearisome.

By way of contrast, Spokane people who happen to encounter hip and sexy kindred spirits are honestly grateful for their good fortune, since such encounters are rarer and thus more special.

I rag on Spokane a lot on this Forum, having grown up on the East coast and educated at an Ivy League university, but I have never met nicer people in my life. That counts for something.
If this was on Facebook, I would definitely "LIKE" it Couldn't rep you because I guess I've given you too much attention.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,568,377 times
Quote:
There is no doubt that Portland is hipper and sexier than Spokane, especially for younger people. But the folks in Portland know how wonderful they are, and are not afraid to express their wonderfulness. At length. And that kind of thing can become wearisome.

By way of contrast, Spokane people who happen to encounter hip and sexy kindred spirits are honestly grateful for their good fortune, since such encounters are rarer and thus more special.

I rag on Spokane a lot on this Forum, having grown up on the East coast and educated at an Ivy League university, but I have never met nicer people in my life. That counts for something.
I totally agree that Portland is hipper than Spokane. I'm not sure I would say Portland is sexier than many other cities though. Portland is hip in a "feminist who doesn't shave her armpits" kind-of way. Not sexy.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 PM

20,094 posts, read 21,983,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I totally agree that Portland is hipper than Spokane. I'm not sure I would say Portland is sexier than many other cities though. Portland is hip in a "feminist who doesn't shave her armpits" kind-of way. Not sexy.
You're right. Portland is an unshaven riotgrrl.

But Spokane is a corn-fed blonde with man hands.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:53 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,568,377 times
Quote:
You're right. Portland is an unshaven riotgrrl.

But Spokane is a corn-fed blonde with man hands.
HA HA! Perfect analogy! I'd still take the big girl over the scary butch with a crew cut, but that's just me.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,463 times
Default Pay low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Louisville area it is. The Ogden St South Bar has my picture over the door frame now down in Denver. Denver is a great town. It might cost more to live there but wages support it. You still have great mountains to look at and you get more sun than they do here which is probably why you have so many crazies in the northwest. Here in Spokane the cost of living is low but the wages are way lower and makes you still feel like you are drowning. I at least make the average per-capita-family income with just my income but when home prices here are so high it doesn't make sense to stay when I can get paid more money in Louisville and find nice four and five bedrooms homes in the outlying areas that are very affordable.

How is it that you say the wages support the low cost of living when you can get a 2 bedroom apartment ranging from $500-$700, and minimum wage is going up to $9.19 an hour....that alone is enough for a place to live and enjoy life at the same time, especially with your spouse, partner, if you have one, working too. Please elaborate.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,582,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Hey, if you are European unshaved armpits are sexy.....Americans are so limited.

Spokane versus Portland? Spokane for outdoors, Portland for Uranus Americanus. It really is acool urban area.

I have spent lots of time in both cities. They are both wonderful places to live. For me Portland taxes and weather would have me choosing Spokane. Oh, that outdoors stuff is very important.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 AM

23 posts, read 31,563 times
Default This is a great topic for the new year!

I am actually moving this month and look forward to and not! I have a very wild and restless spirit by nature, however there is this unique property to my biology that gives me what I call sanctifiable Grace to have a free, open and adaptable spirit (that could be comfortable and blend in anyware) but feels happiest when sharing with (1) other, who could be the head of the Swedish Mafia, pushing needles in my arm and I wouldn't want to, nor feel the need to put a harmful drug/chemical in my body. But that's a whole other topic I would like to be fully aware, having my weary (stressed out about moving) head in the game. Also I am new at this forum chatting thing so please bare with me. SF is Awesome, Just Sayin

Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 15,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBrittney View Post
How is it that you say the wages support the low cost of living when you can get a 2 bedroom apartment ranging from $500-$700, and minimum wage is going up to $9.19 an hour....that alone is enough for a place to live and enjoy life at the same time, especially with your spouse, partner, if you have one, working too. Please elaborate.
Hmm, I don't think minimum wage is quite enough anywhere. After taxes, you've got about $1200

$150 health insurance
$500 rent
$75 water, sewer, garbage
$25 electric
$100-$200 heat/hot water
$40 cell phone
$15 renter's insurance

That leaves about $300 a month for food, personal necessities, transportation, and recreation. This is roughly based on what I've paid for utilities here, but these are really exceptionally low, especially the electric, I can't get over how low that is here!

Anyway, it would be a stretch for a single person, maybe doable for a couple both working minimum wage, but definitely a problem for a family.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:14 PM

20,094 posts, read 21,983,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinhighrN13 View Post
please bare with me
And she's a nudist, to boot!

Spokane will frostbite your tender tendrills, my dear.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 AM

286 posts, read 430,926 times
Portland - Where the young go to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area