Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonia View Post
.. I’m planning a move to the Pacific Northwest ..choosing between Portland, Oregon and Spokane, Washington. ...Portland remains in the mix because of the liberal/progressive atmosphere, closeness to the Cascades and ocean, what I’m told is a “great literary scene”, and the presence of several relatives. ...Finally, if anyone has experience of both Portland and Spokane, which did you prefer?...
With your criteria, I'd live and work in Vancouver, WA, and frequent Portland (10 min) for a culture fix now and then. There are a few places to live in Vancouver that would suit you, and plenty of Portland to go around. WA side is without the politics and tax burden, while it sounds like suburbia, it doesn't need to be if you pick your spot correctly. Officer's Row and area is a pretty nice location with some class. I have done 28 yrs in Vanc, tho wanted to go to Spokane (for better climate) since I was from CO. Vanc has been OK and likely much better than Spokane for family, as they like the OR beach and 3 mtns within quick reach, plus living in the Columbia Gorge (a National Scenic Area). Hiker's paradise if you are 'wash-n'-wear'.

Stevenson / White Salmon with access to Hood River, OR might suit you too.

If you have relatives in Portland, come and stay for awhile. Summers are superb (free concerts every night on Parks). OR folks don't talk well of Vancouver, but still ~200 / month move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Spokane really is for those that lack any sort of ambition or have come to the end of the road in their career and want to look at mountains and trees.
If "ambition" means spending most of one's time chasing the almighty dollar, then count me in as one of those people who lack it.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:59 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
If "ambition" means spending most of one's time chasing the almighty dollar, then count me in as one of those people who lack it.
And that is why jobs here pay so low. Too many sheep willing to work for absolutely nothing and think a $500 a month apartment is hog heaven.

Two more months, just two more months

And how are things in your neck of Spokane................I mean DENVER! Didn't you move back for lack of high paying jobs???? I was in Denver last month, awesome city. I didn't want to come back to Slowkane.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:27 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
And that is why jobs here pay so low. Too many sheep willing to work for absolutely nothing and think a $500 a month apartment is hog heaven.

Two more months, just two more months

And how are things in your neck of Spokane................I mean DENVER! Didn't you move back for lack of high paying jobs???? I was in Denver last month, awesome city. I didn't want to come back to Slowkane.
Yeah, and my quality-of-life has taken a huge hit. I thought it would have been irresponsible of me to stay in Spokane without a job when I had a job in Denver waiting for me. It would have been hard to support a family on Spokane wages with loads of regretted stupidity (debt) on my plate.

I wish you luck in Louisville (right? ). I've heard plenty of good things about it.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah, and my quality-of-life has taken a huge hit. I thought it would have been irresponsible of me to stay in Spokane without a job when I had a job in Denver waiting for me. It would have been hard to support a family on Spokane wages with loads of regretted stupidity (debt) on my plate.

I wish you luck in Louisville (right? ). I've heard plenty of good things about it.

Louisville area it is. The Ogden St South Bar has my picture over the door frame now down in Denver. Denver is a great town. It might cost more to live there but wages support it. You still have great mountains to look at and you get more sun than they do here which is probably why you have so many crazies in the northwest. Here in Spokane the cost of living is low but the wages are way lower and makes you still feel like you are drowning. I at least make the average per-capita-family income with just my income but when home prices here are so high it doesn't make sense to stay when I can get paid more money in Louisville and find nice four and five bedrooms homes in the outlying areas that are very affordable.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:05 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Yeah, but the trouble is...that you gotta...live in Louisville. Enjoy the humidity.

Seriously, good luck and hope you are happy there.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Yeah, but the trouble is...that you gotta...live in Louisville. Enjoy the humidity.

Seriously, good luck and hope you are happy there.
It's my home state. I look forward to going swimming everytime you step outside. Love that 100% humidity.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 PM

649 posts, read 1,767,946 times
there's no comparison. i've lived in portland and also in coeur d'alene which is outside of spokane so was in spokane often. spokane has blue sky, portland has sunburst and 364 days of grey sky. people are very snooty in portland!!!!! i think the weather makes them depressed and you hardly ever see a person with a smiling face in portland. crime is a zillion times higher in portland then spokane, portland has had a hugh influx in illegals from south of the border so there's been a tremendous increase in gang activity throughout portland and it's suburbs in the past 5 years. traffic if horrendous throughout portland's metro area, very poor freeway system and always jammed. it does have the max but there is very poor public transportation in it's suberbs to support the max. spokane is much more affordable to live than porland, traffic is very livable and people are much more friendly, property values are much more affordable. spokane gets snow but you can drive west to get away from it in the winter.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,426 times
I am familiar with both places and love both. I wanted to live within walking distance of a vibrant downtown. Both have that and everything else I need. Spokane has a lower cost of living and a way lower mold spore count. And you should see the falls running today. As a result I greatly favor Spokane, although I am particularly taken with my chosen neighborhood, Cannon's Historic Addition on the lower south hill - our nation's best looking low income neighborhood.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:45 AM

I still have to ad to everyone's "low cost of living" pros to living in Spokane, the con of wages being even lower. If you are not in health care or being heavily recruited to come here with the promise of a living wage job, I would personally not recommend moving here.

Now if you are ok with never owning your own home and having your salary ten years behind everywhere else in the country, then Spokane might be the town for you. My own goals are driving me to move to greener pastures.

Most jobs here in Spokane typically pay $10/hr and Spokane is a small economy that lacks any high paying growth drivers so there really isn't any need for local employers to be competitive on their salaries. If you feel like you can get by with a $500 a month apartment rent with a $400 a week paycheck before then Spokane might be for you. I just want to share the otherside of the low cost of living coing which is equally low wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area