Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,108 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are moving to Liberty Lake (a Spokane suburb) in few weeks. I'm looking for work as an Elementary school teacher. I know there are jobs posted on the Spokane School Districts website, but the same was true when I moved to Sacramento last year, and I didn't get so much as an interview.

So what is the situation really like?

California is in really bad shape, mostly making cuts rather than hiring anyone new. Is the same true in Washington/Spokane? Have there been a lot of teachers laid off who would have first dibs on any opening?

And what about substitute teaching? Should someone new to town with no connections expect any jobs? Any input on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
~Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:06 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,418 times
Elementary education jobs will be difficult to find. Even in better budget times, teachers in the Spokane area tend to stay in their jobs for a long time. The area also produces a large number of teachers with masters degrees from GU, Eastern, Whitworth and, I think, WSU. Be sure to look beyond district 81, including Central Valley, Mead, Cheney, Medical Lake, West Valley, etc. It certainly is not impossible but finding a full time position will likely take some time.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:02 PM

10 posts, read 36,307 times
It is tough to break into the Spokane school districts. I was lucky enough to get a job in Central Valley and then budget cuts hit and my contract was not renewed. I got great recommendations from the principal, team teachers..etc but I have yet been able to get an interview with CV or any district in the Spokane area since. It's frustrating and had to sub last year. My friend subbed for Mead for five years before finally landing a job there. There was an article in the local paper talking about all these teachers who retired this year, yet they are very few job postings right now. So I don't know what is going on. Liberty Lake Elementary rarely ever posts positions. It's one of the best school out there and fairly new so a lot of teachers who are already in the district request to be transfered there.. I've subbed there a few times and I don't blame them..It's a jewel of a school. I would be prepare to sub and make connections that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area