Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 05:01 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,259,426 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed it as a kid, and knew it was acting as far back as I can remember. My dad saw that I liked watching it on TV Saturday morning and took me to a match at the old Philadelphia Arena. The feature match was Bruno Sammartino and Bobo Brazil against Gorilla Monsoon and Killer Kowalski. Still remember it 40+ years later! And so does he, at age 80!!!

I took my kids to a couple of matches in the Washington DC area in the late 1970's timeframe, they kind of knew it was fake but really got caught up in the action. It was great watching my 7 and 9 year old sons get so animated and loud in watching it, I pitched in too to help enhance the experience for them. Now that they are all grown and on their own, they still remember it fondly as a day out with dad. Which in some ways is what much of this is really all about.

Look, when you go to a movie do you think what you see is real? When you go to a stage show do you believe the stuff is real? Of course not, and this is just a good old show for boys to enjoy. Anybody who feels above it should simply not participate.

And I look forward to going with the grandkids in 5-6 years, God willing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 05:25 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,686,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Or the guy with the worms. He should be on that Dare Devil show. He'd win !!!! They are definetely Athletes, to be able to some of those moves. I betcha they all go out for beers and lauph about the shows afterwards..
You mean Scotty Too Hotty?! I lost track of him.
I used to love watching the Rock catch himself cracking up most of all. Man is the master!!
Who was that nut who did "The Wiggle" circa 2001 or abouts? Think it was TNA. Too funny!

Old 06-25-2007, 01:11 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,765,845 times
OK- everyone come up with some kind of list for all the 'GREATS'. Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Rowdy Rodney Piper ect.- cant remember and would like to reminisce.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:57 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,686,132 times
Add/fill in by Alphabet:

Andre the Giant
Big John Studd
Classy Freddie Blasse
David Sammartino
Eddie Guerro
F
G
Hillbilly Jim
Iron Sheik
Junkyard Dog
Kane
L
Miick Foley
Nicoli Volcov (sp?)
O
Paul Orndoff
Q
RoadDogg
Superfly Snucca (sp)
Tonga Kid, Too Cool
Undertaker
Vader
Wonder Boy (Flair)
X
Y
Z

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-25-2007 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-27-2007, 12:53 PM

840 posts, read 6,520,673 times
Quote:
I have two friends that watch wrestling religously. Two Mondays ago we wittnessed Vince Mcman open up the backdoor of his limozine and get in it. The Limo blew up !!!! They honestly believe that it wasn't part of the Entertainment and believe he's dead. I tried to explain to them that he'll probably return in a couple of weeks in some wierd way. I tried explaining to them that it was a stunt to gane ratings for Raw, and wrestling, But they don't want to believe it.
Is there anyone else who is taking it seriously ? If you are then think about this, How come it isn't on the national news. The guy was once a Bodybuilding Champion and inherited the W.E. wrestling from his father. He then became one of the Richest men in Show Business. You'd think it would have been all over the press. I really hope that the fans aren't as gullable as my friends are and enjoy wrestling for what it is.....Entertainment.
I don't take it seriously now. When I first started watching it around the early '90s, I didn't know much about it and thought it was legit (I was about 8 or 9), but as I grew older, I found out it was all entertainment. Some of the things they do are entertaining, not so much these days.

I think WWE actually did a good job of editing the limo explosion. I figured something was going to happen though but the editing was really good.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:26 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,910,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I love watching WWE Word Wrestling Entertainment. Its a soap opera that needs to be taken lightly. If somebody things it real, then they really shouldnt be watching it.

McMahon wont be back, they needed a ratings boost and they got it. Plus, his daughter is back
Yeah, well how many times have we seen her come and go???

Old 07-03-2007, 12:11 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,161,792 times
Quote:
I have two friends that watch wrestling religously. Two Mondays ago we wittnessed Vince Mcman open up the backdoor of his limozine and get in it. The Limo blew up !!!! They honestly believe that it wasn't part of the Entertainment and believe he's dead. I tried to explain to them that he'll probably return in a couple of weeks in some wierd way. I tried explaining to them that it was a stunt to gane ratings for Raw, and wrestling, But they don't want to believe it.
Is there anyone else who is taking it seriously ? If you are then think about this, How come it isn't on the national news. The guy was once a Bodybuilding Champion and inherited the W.E. wrestling from his father. He then became one of the Richest men in Show Business. You'd think it would have been all over the press. I really hope that the fans aren't as gullable as my friends are and enjoy wrestling for what it is.....Entertainment.
You have to understand that the wrestling fans have very simple minds.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:53 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,467,536 times
Quote:
First i found out Santa wasn't real
Now wrestling is fake ?
What next, Roller derby?

Back to reality
I read online that since Chris B Killed his famliy and himself
they are trying to figure out a way to change the Vince saga and get him back in the spotlight

Old 07-05-2007, 06:37 PM

325 posts, read 1,078,622 times
some people where questioning whether or not vince was actually dead which i thought was ridiculous......anyone who watches the wwe religiously as i have for years knows that any real death that occurs recieves some mention usually at the top of the show......and if the person that died is someone of huge recognition such as the late Eddie Guerrero a tribute show is in order......that's also what happened with Chris Benoit before the details of that horrific situation were released.......ppl should know better......its entertainment simple as that

Old 07-05-2007, 06:40 PM

325 posts, read 1,078,622 times
Y-Yokozuna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports