Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:03 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,549,188 times

Advertisements

no they don't

constantly glorifying the individual athlete, saying one or two select players names about 300 times during the broacast like the whole game revolves around them.

as a soccer fan I'll watch games where you could have the top 3 of 5 players in the world playing and they won't sit there and fawn over them like a buch of hero-worshipping teenage boys. You could have the best player of his generation playing and they mention him only in the context of the game and what he contributes, no more no less. They aren't constantly trying to sell you on something, to hype it up. Es*n during the World Cup were basically, at points, hyping, exagerating and embellishing things to try and get better ratings. Typical.

sometimes I'll watch a soccer game and instead of 2 in the booth there's just one commentator. It's great, the game just happens without any big production and it's totally fine. I've never heard a game called from europe with 3 cro-magnons in the booth all talking over one another trying to be the loudest.

yeah, es*n has lost the plot. That was about 15 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 01:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,794,086 times
To paraphrase Jason Whitlock, 'ESPN has turned into a marketing tool for the stars they cover'.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:19 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,284,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
To paraphrase Jason Whitlock, 'ESPN has turned into a marketing tool for the stars they cover'.

Especially football, I like to see the whole field.
Actually see the reciever, and the quarterback,
at the same time. I also don't need to see the
runningback blow snot out of his nose in a close-up.

In fact, I don't need to see their faces. I want to
see the GAME!

Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,905,389 times
My question is, where did it start? Was it the NBA in the 1990's or did it happen earlier? Most of us probably know about Ahmad Rashad and his near-worship of Jordan in his interviews, but were he and his cohorts at NBC at the time the first to do that sort of thing? Then of course there were the 5k close-ups of Andy Pettitte's eyes(?) from the late 1990's to around 2005. It's everyone who's doing that sort of thing these days, not just the "WWL."

Old 08-01-2010, 03:32 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,042,632 times
It's just sensationalism and whatever else sells

As someone who has watched Sportscenter for years (I guess I'm a masochist ) I can sum it up in: Tiger Woods, Yankees, Red Sox, Barry Bonds, Cowboys, Lakers, Lebron James, USC.

And you'll be lucky to hear any extensive detail about anything else

Old 08-01-2010, 05:47 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,014,235 times
Here is a BETTER question. What do people think are viable alternatives?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Here is a BETTER question. What do people think are viable alternatives?
When I lived in Philly, Comcast Sports was great. Then again they only covered Philly sports.

On a side note I got ESPN the magazine for free because I signed up on ESPN's message boards and I'd say the magazine is a joke to put it nicely. It's all pictures and irrelevant commentary you'd probably hear on ESPNews. I don't think I've ever read one interview or inside story in there I couldn't find anywhere else. Total waste.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:43 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,928,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Have they ever?

As a youth sports coach, I hate them.
Only showing individual accomplishments,
sensationalizing overpaid malcontents,
downplaying teamwork, morals, personal
responsibility.

Well that is the current "cool" mindset promoted in society today. ESPN is just another part of the "you don't have to work for it" "style over subtance" "Hip Hop" mindset that is killing this country. Sports are becoming the WWE. I find myself caring less and less each year.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:54 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,284,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Well that is the current "cool" mindset promoted in society today. ESPN is just another part of the "you don't have to work for it" "style over subtance" "Hip Hop" mindset that is killing this country. Sports are becoming the WWE. I find myself caring less and less each year.

You are so right. My All-star team had 6-8 players, who made outs at 2nd or 3rd base, by standing and watching balls fly to the fence. They see the guys on Sporstcenter do it.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 AM

They also seem to sensationalize bad apples and their antics. Like a tabloid with a celebrity who has issues. I coach HS football and I know a few kids on my team want to be like Ochocinco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports