Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:28 PM

12 posts, read 67,835 times

Advertisements

Michael Vick, Alexei Yashin, Michael Finley, Stephon Marbury, Roger Clemens, Mike Mussina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM

311 posts, read 1,379,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
This is the absolute truth. In businesses, what matters is dollars and cents. My brother, an associate professor at Princeton, and I debate this topic non-stop. Obviously, he is on the side who feels that teachers are more important to society than sports figures. However, in a business, salaries are based on revenue generation.
Teachers may be more important to society than sports figures, but no school district could ever afford to pay a teacher millions of dollars a year, even if they were willing to do it. Their income is derived from what the town collects in property taxes, so this is obviously nowhere near a sports franchise. Athletes are paid large amounts because the money is there to do it. Owners are willing to pay these figures to athletes who can bring in the revenue and help their team win a championship. One can argue all they want about the merits of teachers vs. athletes, but that is the way it is.

The overpaid ones would be any athlete who is getting paid these huge amounts and doing nothing to contribute to the team or worse, killing the teams chances of getting to the playoffs. Who wants to pay someone $500,000 so they can throw 5 interceptions every game and make their offense the worst in the league? I could do that for a lot less.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:42 PM

68,394 posts, read 54,679,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
I, and all of my buddies concur on this one... money doesn't always produce the best players or the ones who have their heart into the game, no matter what sport.
Exactly why I prefer minor-league baseball, 'semi-pro' football, and local track auto racing, sport and sportsmanship still outweigh $$$$$$$$$$$$.

To me, anyone pro these days who isn't giving 100% every inning, every play, every lap is overpaid.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:59 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,090,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
I, and all of my buddies concur on this one... money doesn't always produce the best players or the ones who have their heart into the game, no matter what sport.
yeah, just ask my Washington Redskins. Every year they dish out a bucket of cash to bring in all of these big names and don't get results from these overpaid fat cats.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:08 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,090,410 times
Even before the dog fighting story broke, I've always thought Mike Vick is over paid. He's a great athlete but an average to below average QB who makes way tooooo much money. Also A-Rod, he's over paid.

Some other ones, I'd say, Mark Brunell of the Redskins, Jemarcus Russel, Mike VanderJERK before he got fired, Roger Clemens, the biggest liar ever the one and only "I will not be the next Alabama coach" : Nick Saban and as much as I like Dwight Freeny, he's overpaid according to his new contract, he's making QB money.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:58 AM

325 posts, read 1,080,154 times
Im so over the Michael Vick haters all of a sudden. Im sure this has everything to do with the dog fighting stuff no matter what anybody says. I have always been a fan of Vick and will continue to do so. I am not condoning any of the things that he has supposedly done, but unlike everyone else in this country I am going to assume that he is innocent until proven guilty. Michael Vick is an amazing athlete that has brought excitement back to the city of Atlanta all by his lonesome. He may have an average or even below average arm but he can run like nobodys business. Vick is fun to watch and everytime he has the ball you hold your breath because you never know when he is going to take off. People go to Falcons games to see Michael Vick. If the man doesnt play this year I bet the attendence will be affected. Nobody wants to pay good money to see Joey Harrington. Thats for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports