Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 04:47 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times

Advertisements

Which sports figures do you think are overpaid to what they contribute to the game ? Prove it with stats and figures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 08:50 PM

185 posts, read 252,944 times
I've got my dander up with this Michael Vick thing, so I was thinking it might be easier to make a list of which athlete's AREN'T.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:37 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,619 times
As far as I'm concerned, nearly ALL of them are overpaid... its too much about business now as opposed to the sport itself... what did John Unitas make? Not all that much but he's a hero and a legend. It cracks me up when rookies right out of college "hold out" on a 3 million a year contract offer...

Old 07-21-2007, 10:45 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
As far as I'm concerned, nearly ALL of them are overpaid... its too much about business now as opposed to the sport itself... what did John Unitas make? Not all that much but he's a hero and a legend. It cracks me up when rookies right out of college "hold out" on a 3 million a year contract offer...
Unitas didn't make much compared to today's standards, but I'm sure he was well-paid in his day. Wasn't it DiMaggio who was the first $100,000 a year athlete, and that was a huge deal at the time? Anyway, it's always been about the "business", even back in those times. If teams didn't pay attention to the bottom line back then, we wouldn't have these teams and leagues today.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:18 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Unitas didn't make much compared to today's standards, but I'm sure he was well-paid in his day. Wasn't it DiMaggio who was the first $100,000 a year athlete, and that was a huge deal at the time? Anyway, it's always been about the "business", even back in those times. If teams didn't pay attention to the bottom line back then, we wouldn't have these teams and leagues today.
Unitas made what, 38K... I might be wrong on this but I think I'm in the neighborhood... what you didn't address is all these rookie players who think they are suddenly worth millions of dollars... I wish there was a three year wait clause in effect for the proven as charged... sometimes/a lot of the time, rookies are making more than a proven player... a 1 million a year three year contract for rookies until they have proven that they are worthy of more seems more right... I, and all of my buddies concur on this one... money doesn't always produce the best players or the ones who have their heart into the game, no matter what sport.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:09 PM

990 posts, read 2,302,855 times
Athletes are paid a lot because their aren't that many of them and they generate big dollars. Just wasn't the same in Unitas's day.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Athletes are paid a lot because their aren't that many of them and they generate big dollars. Just wasn't the same in Unitas's day.
exactly.....sports generates huge dollars...better to give it to the players than making the owners even richer.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
This is the absolute truth. In businesses, what matters is dollars and cents. My brother, an associate professor at Princeton, and I debate this topic non-stop. Obviously, he is on the side who feels that teachers are more important to society than sports figures. However, in a business, salaries are based on revenue generation.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM

22 posts, read 47,350 times
J.D DREW, it has to be him

Old 07-31-2007, 05:49 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,648,412 times
If he gets what he's asking for (which I doubt he will) JaMarcus Russell. He's asking for $60 million!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports