Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Games must be played for pleasure.

When money, tv, hype, politics, glitz and cheerleaders get mixed up, it's simply a way of keeping a population happy, taking their eyes away from the miserable lives they live. Much like ancient Rome.

Look at the countries so religiously invested in cricket, they even say it's a religion - India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh - the sub-continent, home to some of the world's poorest populations better only than Africa

It is a big deal here, the role of Australian Cricket Captain is sometimes jokingly referred to as the most important in the country.

However, the general public have usually agreed with the choice. He is not popular amongst the masses.

The money, tv, hype etc is off putting. Give me 5 days at Lords / MCG and I will be happy. I don't need Twenty20, cheerleaders (seriously ) etc. Even one dayers I view as just a bit of fun.

There will not be many here wishing we won this thing. Losing the Ashes though? That is a sore point

Its just not cricket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:05 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
All i can say is GO SRI LANKA!

It Murali's last game of cricket, He is a true champion and deserves to go out a winner.

They question remains what of Tendulka, If India wins, should he got out on a high? Hes playing so well at the moment however, he could be around for the next 2 world cups.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 AM

817 posts, read 811,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Games must be played for pleasure.

When money, tv, hype, politics, glitz and cheerleaders get mixed up, it's simply a way of keeping a population happy, taking their eyes away from the miserable lives they live. Much like ancient Rome.

Look at the countries so religiously invested in cricket, they even say it's a religion - India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh - the sub-continent, home to some of the world's poorest populations better only than Africa
I see the same problem in even the so called "superpower" of the world, some of my friends are so fanatical about football that it's almost a religion to them, I have seen stabbings in a bar once just because fans of the winning team who were the minority that day starting jeering the fans of the losing team who happened to be in the majority. Would have thought that perhaps better education and having lived life in opulence would instill some wisdom, doesn't look like that's the case though.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

It Murali's last game of cricket, He is a true champion and deserves to go out a winner.

They question remains what of Tendulka, If India wins, should he got out on a high? Hes playing so well at the moment however, he could be around for the next 2 world cups.
India will win the cup, this is going to be Sachin's last WC, he is going to retire after the finals, although it's not yet official.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:37 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
It is a big deal here, the role of Australian Cricket Captain is sometimes jokingly referred to as the most important in the country.

However, the general public have usually agreed with the choice. He is not popular amongst the masses.

The money, tv, hype etc is off putting. Give me 5 days at Lords / MCG and I will be happy. I don't need Twenty20, cheerleaders (seriously ) etc. Even one dayers I view as just a bit of fun.

There will not be many here wishing we won this thing. Losing the Ashes though? That is a sore point

Its just not cricket!
Cricket in England, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Australia is HUGE!

It should stay for pleasure purposes not politics and violence.

I love the new Twenty20. People have busy lives and don't have time to sit for 5 days. Infact I would cut the 50 overs too from the regular ODI's.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

Hopefully SL will win. I think Sachin is done. He needs to go. Shoaib needs to stay more. Both these players have not won a cup.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:39 PM

At the end of the day, Sports is there for PURE BUSINESS!

Even though fans get the entertainment from their lives.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Hopefully SL will win. I think Sachin is done. He needs to go. Shoaib needs to stay more. Both these players have not won a cup.
Interesting that you think Sachin is done, he had one of his best years in 2010 averaging almost 80 in tests, and scoring the first ever ODI 200, and even in this WC, he is the second highest run getter trailing the highest by 3 runs, as for Shoaib, I think he has run his course, he has nothing more to offer, Sachin doesn't look like he is done yet, he is going from strength to strength as of now, also, it's a team effort which gets the cup, not Sachin's fault if the team doesn't support him when he does his job.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter18 View Post
India will win the cup, this is going to be Sachin's last WC, he is going to retire after the finals, although it's not yet official.
SL is very strong though. It should be a intense match.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter18 View Post
Interesting that you think Sachin is done, he had one of his best years in 2010 averaging almost 80 in tests, and scoring the first ever ODI 200, and even in this WC, he is the second highest run getter trailing the highest by 3 runs, as for Shoaib, I think he has run his course, he has nothing more to offer, Sachin doesn't look like he is done yet, he is going from strength to strength as of now, also, it's a team effort which gets the cup, not Sachin's fault if the team doesn't support him when he does his job.
He has been playing since 1989 and still has not won a WC.

Shoaib is not fit. Batters use to be scared of this dude. Those dramatic run ups and throw very fast balls. If he can comeback to fitness, he can play some more. Maybe consider being a spinner or a part-timer bowler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports