Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:36 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times

Advertisements

Notre Dame asks Cathedral High School to drop Irish logo, nickname - El Paso Times (http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_17543105?source=most_viewed - broken link)

Cathedral High a small Catholic school in El Paso has used the name Fighting Irish for 85 years. Its not much of a high school and as El Paso grew it became obscured by the much larger public schools.

I didn't attend there and never rooted for its teams or cared much about it, in fact this may be the first time I ever said anything nice about the place. I guess i feel sorry for it - Notre Dame has the money and the lawyers, Cathedral may be barely afloat.

Notre Dame has always owned the media and are the most hyped school in sports or academics.

Having lived in Indiana, I as many there know its not as good as school as Purdue and far below Indiana University in Bloomington.

Notre Dame could be doing something useful such as taking a stand about all the Catholic Priests molesting kids or all the slums not far from its campus but its a greedy institution and only wants $$ and name for itself.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Brainwashed religious people associate with Notre Dame.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Notre Dame asks Cathedral High School to drop Irish logo, nickname - El Paso Times (http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_17543105?source=most_viewed - broken link)

Cathedral High a small Catholic school in El Paso has used the name Fighting Irish for 85 years. Its not much of a high school and as El Paso grew it became obscured by the much larger public schools.

I didn't attend there and never rooted for its teams or cared much about it, in fact this may be the first time I ever said anything nice about the place. I guess i feel sorry for it - Notre Dame has the money and the lawyers, Cathedral may be barely afloat.

Notre Dame has always owned the media and are the most hyped school in sports or academics.

Having lived in Indiana, I as many there know its not as good as school as Purdue and far below Indiana University in Bloomington.

Notre Dame could be doing something useful such as taking a stand about all the Catholic Priests molesting kids or all the slums not far from its campus but its a greedy institution and only wants $$ and name for itself.
I wonder if Indiana University was going after a high school in the same situation, would you call them classless or applaud them for defending their trademark?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Notre Dame has to realise that they only are brorrowing the name themsleves really.They will have very hardtime saying they trademarked it and this wi only hurt them in the end thnkig they have soe exclusive use of it.Should even have come up really

Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 PM

Toxic toast - there are other teams called Hoosiers and IU has not commenced any actions against them. This may be a difficult concept for you but its doubtful that any schools in Texas have Hoosiers as the nickname. Finally explaining law to you might be an exercise in futility but once a the trademark has been used for 80+ years there is a defense of laches ( go ahead have someone look up the term for you).

Sports may not be your field but its common for teams to use the same nicknames. Perhaps the Los Angeles Dodgers ought to commence an action vs 9873 Little League Teams.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Notre Dame is a relic in the American sporting landscape. They're probably just looking to be in the news again.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Toxic toast - there are other teams called Hoosiers and IU has not commenced any actions against them. This may be a difficult concept for you but its doubtful that any schools in Texas have Hoosiers as the nickname. Finally explaining law to you might be an exercise in futility but once a the trademark has been used for 80+ years there is a defense of laches ( go ahead have someone look up the term for you).

Sports may not be your field but its common for teams to use the same nicknames. Perhaps the Los Angeles Dodgers ought to commence an action vs 9873 Little League Teams.
Let's say that there was a school in Indianapolis called Indianapolis Union, who call themselves the Hoosiers. Their logo looks like this:

Now, when (note the use of WHEN and not the use of IF) Indiana University sues them, are you going to call IU classless? Or, are you going to praise them?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Brainwashed religious people associate with Notre Dame.
Bigotry, alive and well I see.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:23 AM

There are basketball leagues in Indiana with teams that call themselves the Hoosiers. Did IU sue the movie Hoosiers? You don't get it - There is also an Indiana Elite team that is patterned after IU. IU hasn't sued anyone for this . They aren't like that. That's like asking if I will condone your parents for abusing you. Hopefully they don't do that.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
There are basketball leagues in Indiana with teams that call themselves the Hoosiers. Did IU sue the movie Hoosiers? You don't get it - There is also an Indiana Elite team that is patterned after IU. IU hasn't sued anyone for this . They aren't like that. That's like asking if I will condone your parents for abusing you. Hopefully they don't do that.
Despite your desire to launch into your personal attacks, I presume to make you feel better about yourself, you are yet to answer my question. I know that you won't, so I will leave you to your Bobby Knight idols and striped underpants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports