Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:57 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,051 times

Advertisements

As for NFL team, it'll be difficult to add one because doing so will change the division/playoff structure again. Moving one to LA certainly is a possibility. Probably the Raiders if they continue to struggle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 03:27 PM
T-8

23 posts, read 107,302 times
Hi everybody there !! Here's from Italy...

I've been told interesting things:

1) Los Angeles should have a NFL team (as a result of a relocation or of an expansion, this remains way unclear);

2) Los Angeles shouldn't have any NFL team, because the city is too close to other NFL fan bases (49ers' one, Chargers' one and Raiders' one).

Let me examine both points of view.

1) The City of Angels has surely got what it takes to be a good home: 2nd TV market nationwide, football tradition (UCLA and USC especially) and is still regretting for Raiders' move to Oakland. What to say to students-athletes ? "You can't dream of staying in here 'cause we ain't got no team ?"
I would look at a Los Angeles-based NFL team as a once-made continuous and endless wire connecting college football and pro world. New NFL team in LA: I do believe 60%.

2) One day I thought: "What ? I've just listed 4 pro sports American cities and LA isn't included ? Denver is included, Dallas is included, Phoenix is included... and LA isn't !"
Next day I read that LA fan base is divided, especially supporting Californians NFL teams (even though there are several Dallas Cowboys fans): the lines I was reading kept on saying that a Los Angeles-based NFL team (maybe moving there from Jacksonville ?) could damage other Californian fan bases.
I'd give less importance to stuffs like "As for NFL team, it'll be difficult to add one because doing so will change the division/playoff structure again": indeed, many "added" teams (obviously, as a result of expansion) in pro sport history changed the division/playoff structure. I mean e.g. the NBA: it was the most conservative pro league among the four existing, but didn't hesitate to grant Charlotte a new team after Hornets' relocation nor to expand to Canada. But let's the league decide.
No NFL team in LA: I do believe 40%.

Best luck from Italy...

>> fr.caste@libero.it
>> http://tonnellotto.blogspot.com

Last edited by T-8; 12-23-2007 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: sometimes gramatically imperfect...

Old 12-24-2007, 09:39 PM

17 posts, read 50,561 times
Default Portland

I Portland deserves a team besides the TrailBlazers they got a pretty big sized metro.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,216 times
i definetaly agree with howest2008. except some of the las vegas stuff. Vegas can support their minor league teams: they have an AAA (the highest affiliations) in the minors, & they have two D-1 college teams. granted most of the people there are just the for the gambling & etc. the few that live their may have intrest in a team. only problem is that there isnt enough of them in the city or the surounding area.

Personally i think the smartest choice for a fanchise in any sport would be for Louisville to get an NBA team; think about it. Kentuckys the 17 largest city population wise, so they fan base in the state alone would be fairly strong. plus the villes on the ohio river near cincinnatti so it would get alot of fans there too. the closest city to louisville with an NBA team is indianapolis 250 miles away! I can see ur argument with CT getting one but they are soo close to the legendary celtics that it wouldn't work... simple as that.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:03 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,428,999 times
If the NFL has any say, LA won't get an NFL team. It os to much "bargaining power" when owners of other teams threaten to move there.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
As evidenced by the Sonics moving from Seattle (one of America's great urban cities) to Oklahoma City (45th largest market and one of the lowest income metro areas) pro sports teams go where the arena/ stadium contracts are the best.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:06 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times
Forget LA! They had their chance with the NFL and screwed up! Yeah, if they came back, the first year may be good. But it's the years after that is going to make or break them. They had it and lost it! LA move on. I live in LA, so I can say that!

I haven't seen this city mentioned yet.... Albuquerque! Place the stadium in downtown or make a sport city btwn ABQ and Santa Fe. They'll please the two cities and their citizens and benefit from the attendence criteria from both cities. ABQ!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:07 PM

910 posts, read 2,984,879 times
we all know that oklahoma city is getting the super sonics next year from seattle

Old 07-03-2008, 10:35 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
As evidenced by the Sonics moving from Seattle (one of America's great urban cities) to Oklahoma City (45th largest market and one of the lowest income metro areas) pro sports teams go where the arena/ stadium contracts are the best.
Attendance is also a factor. OkC residents ponied up and attended Hornet's games in record numbers for almost two years.

As for OkC being one of the lowest income metro areas, this is true. However, the cost of living is one of the lowest in the nation as well so the disposable income is there.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times
I don't know if anyones posted any of this already, didn't take the time to read it all, but San Antonio could be the next pick.. they considered moving the Saints there after Katrina. I believe they played a bit in the Alamo dome that season. I also read on a site that LA is trying to do an 800 million dollar renovation to the Colosseum so they can get a team again. Another site said an owner of a Canadian Football League team is trying to get an NFL team in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports