Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:14 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,098 times

Advertisements

Seems to me as if the popularity of Lacrosse has decreased over the years. That indoor league used to be a big deal back in the 90's, playing to sold out arenas and got a pretty large amount of coverage on ESPN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 02:03 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Seems to me as if the popularity of Lacrosse has decreased over the years. That indoor league used to be a big deal back in the 90's, playing to sold out arenas and got a pretty large amount of coverage on ESPN.
Lacrosse is still the fastest growing. 1st world championship in 1993 had, I think 5 teams. 2010 championship had over 30 international teams.

Last year Notre Dame played in the final NCAA Championship game. This year Denver is in.

"According to the 2011 Sporting Goods Manufacturer Association Participation Report, Lacrosse is America's fastest growing sport with a 33% growth among frequent participants and 37.7% growth among all participants.

Should the sport maintain the same growth rate, lacrosse will pass ice hockey at the participation level over the course of the next year."

"Lacrosse continues to outpace all other sports in growth rate," said National Lacrosse League Commissioner George Daniel.'
NLL.com -- Official Website of the National Lacrosse League - Articles - LAX REMAINS AMERICA'S FASTEST GROWING SPORT (http://www.nll.com/article.php?id=5035 - broken link)

"For the last decade, lacrosse has been one of the fastest-growing team sports in the country. US Lacrosse chapters have been established in 40 states and more than 560,000 people played on organized teams in 2009 compared to just over 250,000 in 2001. The sport is growing at almost every level of the game. Youth lacrosse is the fastest-growing segment of the sport with more than 30,000 additional players picking up the sport last year. High school lacrosse is now sanctioned in 21 states with the addition of North Carolina and South Carolina in 2010 and Illinois in 2011. A record 60 teams will compete in NCAA Division I men’s lacrosse in 2010 and new college varsity programs are popping up in states like Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Wisconsin and more. The NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship routinely draws crowds in the neighborhood of 50,000 for games played in NFL stadiums.'
Growth of lacrosse creates a business opportunity - SportsLetter

"Fear the Turtle"

Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 PM

21 posts, read 79,591 times
I started following lacrosse a few years ago. I think it has a way to go to really catch on here in the Midwest, especially at the high school level, but a few colleges have teams in my area and I get to a few local college games, but with being a spring sport the weather is very unpredicatable for the games. ESPN and ESPNU had good coverage of D1 lacrosse this year. Last week the University of Virginia defeated Maryland for the national championship.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:54 PM

1,632 posts, read 483,781 times
I like it, too, more than hockey or soccer. (Probably my #4 favorite sport behind the likes of basketball, football, and baseball) I wish our two major lacrosse leagues - the MLL and NLL - would expand more. The NLL has 12 teams right now, I believe, and the MLL only has six, even though they'll add Columbus and Charlotte for 2012.

I know the sport is popular in Canada and the northeast, but I wish they'd put a team somewhere south like in Dallas or San Antonio or Houston..

Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,098,001 times
Syracuse area, Long Island and Baltimore area have long been the three lacrosse hotbeds. San Diego and Denver are both in the rising tier of hotbeds.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:49 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,460,718 times
I don't think lacrosse will ever get to the level the 4 big sports are at or soccer. Everyone said its just as exciting as hockey. Ive seen college games and wow they are so boring. No offense just does not have enough action for me. I enjoy watching golf more.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:45 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,186,626 times
Probably not. There are 9 million+ people in Chicagoland, and still not enough people to keep a Major League Lacrosse team going.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
I don't think lacrosse will ever get to the level the 4 big sports are at or soccer. Everyone said its just as exciting as hockey. Ive seen college games and wow they are so boring. No offense just does not have enough action for me. I enjoy watching golf more.
Where are you watching college games?

Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,497,048 times
I never payed attention to the sport before but i've managed to catch some games on ESPN. It looks pretty fun, it indeed has the speed of Soccer and the hits of Rugby which makes the sport even better.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,139,858 times
I played goalie in college and coached for a number of years before my job became too demanding of my time. It's a great sport and I've always felt I owe it much for all the doors it has opened for me.

I'll never forget the first time I ever played coming from a hockey background, they handed me my equipment to get in goal and I laughed and said asked where the rest was. 10 years of bruised up legs later and I seem to be ok still. The worst shot I ever took split my throat guard in half and smashed my windpipe up pretty bad. That one effectively ended my college career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports