Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that I've never given the sport of lacrosse much thought before this year, when my sixth-grade son took it up. That being said, I think it's a really great game–And not just because my son plays it either.

It has the speed of hockey and soccer.
It has the hitting of football.
It has the scrubs of rugby.
It has an interesting strategy, kind of a cross between all the games listed above and basketball.

In my area, it's suddenly outstripped both soccer and baseball in terms of popularity. It's becoming difficult to field teams in those sports due to lacrosse's popularity. It's far more entertaining than either game, too.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 AM

39 posts, read 106,239 times
Yes. We love it. Very entertaining to watch. Where are you? I am relocating back to Houston early summer and to help my kids ease in to their new city I was researching the areas there where lacrosse has taken off. I hope you enjoy watching your son play. It is an exciting fast moving game isn't it?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I have to admit that I've never given the sport of lacrosse much thought before this year, when my sixth-grade son took it up. That being said, I think it's a really great game–And not just because my son plays it either.

It has an interesting strategy, kind of a cross between all the games listed above and basketball.

In my area, it's suddenly outstripped both soccer and baseball in terms of popularity. It's becoming difficult to field teams in those sports due to lacrosse's popularity. It's far more entertaining than either game, too.

Any thoughts?
It already is a widely played competitive sport.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
Knowing LAX has the NCAA backing it, without a doubt it's popular with the younger generation. Now it just needs a good TV deal.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:24 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Any thoughts?

lacrosse has some of the hard hitting of football. went to a lacrosse game a couple weeks ago, high school, and football related hits received flags. so while it does have contact its not exactly "football contact". id say it has hockey contact.

rugby??? seriously??? if i were a rugby player i'd be insulted by that comparison.

at the school i teach at what i've noticed is when the sport was first introduced 5 years ago it drew a strong following from football players and some of the "nuttier" kids on campus. 5 years later after minimal competitive gains on the field it has become kind of a joke. kids on campus have even begun referring to lacrosse as the sport you play if you get cut from baseball and soccer. the girls side is uglier with the team finishing winless this season and very few goals scored.

state wide in south carolina in the last 2 years boys and girls lacrosse has become state sanctioned by the high school league. with that being said once the lacrosse powers that be got their necessary 16 boys and 16 girls programs across the state to field teams they have kind of dropped off in terms of starting new programs. which tells me the sport is not growing. in fact my school started its program with equipment from another school in the district that was eliminating it from their school. not expansion but replacement in that case.

from the National High School Federation for 2009 - 2010

1.) football (boys 11 man only) - 1,109,278
2.) outdoor track / field (boys and girls) - 1,041,300
3.) basketball (boys and girls) - 979,757
4.) soccer (boys and girls) - 747,955 (20% increase over 10 years) (56% increase over 20 years)
5.) baseball (boys) - 472,644 (4% increase over 10 years)
6.) cross country (boys and girls) - 441,576
7.) volleyball (girls) - 403,985 (5% increase over 10 years)
8.) softball (girls) - 378,211
9.) tennis (boys and girls) - 345,150
10.) swimming (boys ans girls) - 289,795 (22% increase over 10 years)
11.) wrestling (boys and girls) -279,024 (13% increase over 10 years)
12.) golf (boys and girls) - 228,628
13.) Lacrosse (boys ans girls) - 159,438 (61% increase over 10 years) (83% increase over 20 years)

TONS of growth over a 10 year period and since 1990 forget about it. the question becomes can it be sustained or does lacrosse have fad status??? soccer has seen similar gains since 1990 and 2000. lacrosse unlike soccer and basketball is not as cheap and easy to field at the low levels. i can drive around my community and see youth soccer games left and right, basketball gyms are always filled with youth leagues, baseball diamonds littered with little league. i don't see lacrosse youth leagues anywhere. the NCAA may be backing it but right now unless the sport receives youth attention the growth will begin to become stagnate.

at the current rate of growth lacrosse will still need another decade to crack the top 10 high school varsity sports in this country.

Last edited by greenvillebuckeye; 04-17-2011 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
definitely not a fad - it's very popular in areas where it has roots and it's growing to more schools there as some of the smaller ones are picking it up because of the demand (for example my HS didn't have it, but now does as well as our other similar schools providing more opponents in a closer radius)

what will take time is for the coaching and skill levels to pick up in non-traditional areas .... as with anything, popularity will increase when people are good at it

football at my school was a joke - until we hired a coach who put in a youth development program, a serious weight room program and knew how to coach ..... a few years of being that upstart program helped him build a team that was consistently top 10 in the state ..... football became the thing people wanted to do (at that point soccer was the king of fall athletics - football didn't replace it, but definitely grabbed some attention)

it's really taking off in Colorado and some other regions as well - with sustained success & infrastructure .... I think as the college game grows in the mid-atlantic into the south the HS level will also pick up

Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 PM

135 posts, read 248,248 times
Yes.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:40 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
No; not until there is a professional league that can hold its own against, at least, the NHL. Look at soccer for example, the level of participation is very high in the preadolescence level, but many participants switch to either baseball, football or basketball if one is to seek a career in professional sports. That is about to change as the MLS keeps increasing in popularity.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:17 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
definitely not a fad - it's very popular in areas where it has roots and it's growing to more schools there as some of the smaller ones are picking it up because of the demand (for example my HS didn't have it, but now does as well as our other similar schools providing more opponents in a closer radius)

what will take time is for the coaching and skill levels to pick up in non-traditional areas .... as with anything, popularity will increase when people are good at it

football at my school was a joke - until we hired a coach who put in a youth development program, a serious weight room program and knew how to coach ..... a few years of being that upstart program helped him build a team that was consistently top 10 in the state ..... football became the thing people wanted to do (at that point soccer was the king of fall athletics - football didn't replace it, but definitely grabbed some attention)

it's really taking off in Colorado and some other regions as well - with sustained success & infrastructure .... I think as the college game grows in the mid-atlantic into the south the HS level will also pick up

agreed that once college lacrosse players begin finding jobs in schools and begin starting or continuing programs at high schools in America it will pick up / continue. i'd say its already picked up but again can it continue and creep into a top 10 high school sport.

right now only 22 states sanction high school lacrosse for boys and 24 states do for girls. that's still less than half the state governing bodies sanctioning the sport.

people are treating it as though its surpassing the other more established sports. point is, its not. fun game, action packed, increasing membership and numbers, but it has a long way to go before it becomes even in the conversation of the other more traditional team sports.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
agreed that once college lacrosse players begin finding jobs in schools and begin starting or continuing programs at high schools in America it will pick up / continue. i'd say its already picked up but again can it continue and creep into a top 10 high school sport.

right now only 22 states sanction high school lacrosse for boys and 24 states do for girls. that's still less than half the state governing bodies sanctioning the sport.

people are treating it as though its surpassing the other more established sports. point is, its not. fun game, action packed, increasing membership and numbers, but it has a long way to go before it becomes even in the conversation of the other more traditional team sports.
I don't think lacrosse has become even with other sports but I can tell you that my kids started playing lacrosse 10 years ago and there has been a dramatic change in the landscape when it comes to participation.

When my oldest son was in middle school there were two parks in our county with lacrosse teams. There was one team per age group per park and age groups were in 3 year increments. There were no girls programs at all.

Now that my youngest is in middle school there are five parks in our county with lacrosse teams. Each park has at least two teams per age group and age groups are in two year increments. Four of the five parks have girls programs.

There were three parks in the county north of us each with one boys team per age group. Now there are five parks, each with at least two teams per age group (some have three). All five have have girls programs.

There has been a tremendous growth in the sport here in the southern part of FL. When my oldest son started playing on tournament teams there was one in this area and it traveled out of state for two tournaments. My youngest son has been heavily recruited for the multiple tournament teams that play five tournaments, only one being out of state.

I do not think lacrosse is even with other sports. I think that in a large part the level of play was higher when my oldest started because each park had a core of experienced kids at each age group. Plus the coaches were all knowledgable. Now there are so many teams that the few experienced players are spread thin and volunteer coaches are learning as they coach.

All said, I enjoy lacrosse very much. It's much more entertaining than wrestling or weighlifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports