Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,794,480 times

Advertisements

It's called ENTERTAINMENT when the NHL players fight but when NBA players have the look of a possible fight the refs stop it before gets started.

Anyone know why?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:04 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,930,369 times
Mostly because fighting's been a part of hockey for its entire history as a sport, so anyone wanting to ban fighting in hockey is pushing against an entrenched tradition, whereas the opposite is true in basketball.

As well, given its long history in hockey, fighting is governed by a fairly stringent set of official and unofficial rules (for example, it's considered proper fighting etiquette to remove a visor if you're wearing one, or perhaps most important - if a player refuses to drop the gloves, there's no fight)

Fighting also serves as an unofficial deterrent to dirty play. That's one of the primary duties of an enforcer on a team - to ensure that their team mates do not have to put up with that sort of play (Running a goalie, for example is almost a surefire way to start a fight).

Given that basketball has no history of fighting, and no real rules to govern it (official or unofficial) and much more stringent rules in regards to physical play it doesn't make a lot of sense to suddenly include fighting.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,522,973 times
I'll tell you this.... Since the league has clamped down on fighting with the instagator rule the game has gotten a lot more dangerous. Back in the day when you Did something really dirty to your opponent you had better drop those gloves because you were going to have to fight for sure. Nowadays we see all kinds of dirty whimps out there running around the ice and injuring players and these guys refuse to fight. Well in the old days you would have got your lights punched out whether you wanted to fight or not. Retaliation, was the name of the game and it made it safer for the clean players.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:13 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's called ENTERTAINMENT when the NHL players fight but when NBA players have the look of a possible fight the refs stop it before gets started.

Anyone know why?
Invalid question. Hockey players are not allowed to fight.

The real question is, "Why doesn't fighting int he NHL result in much harsher penalties?" Are fights this common in Europe or Russia?

Also, fist blows in hockey can't be delivered with as much force because a player has less ability to use his body and legs since he is on skates.

If I had it my way, fighting in the NHL would result in penalties equivalent to those in all other team sports. Hard checks could still be delivered just like hard hits in football can still be delivered.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,930,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Also, fist blows in hockey can't be delivered with as much force because a player has less ability to use his body and legs since he is on skates.
I take it you're not a hockey player. A skate edge gives as good (or better) traction from which to throw a punch than does a foot on the ground. Granted, staying balanced is difficult (hence one reason why hockey fighters hold each other's jerseys) and many players do not throw at 100% for fear of being pulled off balance by an opponent. However, there's quite a few guys, even as low as junior level that have knock out power on skates.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 AM

77,724 posts, read 59,880,182 times
Quote:

Anyone know why?
Because the NBA is better run and the NHL is circling the bowl by comparison.

Hey, let's get all our stars hurt! yay! That will help our sport grow right?

I would love to see some enforcer on an NHL team learn how to really fight and put an arm lock on a guy and dislocate his elbow etc. Seriously, they've let guys smash other guys throats and heads with sticks and end peoples careers this way....I mean at what point do we just send them out there without goals or pucks and let them just fight?

Old 04-08-2011, 01:25 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,954,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've played roller hockey and I have seen guys hospitalized after getting punched one time. If you know how to handle yourself on skates, you can punch just fine.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:57 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,022,990 times
I've played hockey and been a hockey fan for over 40 years. However I am a guy who has always had hockey as a secondary sport. Having laid that groundwork, there is fighting in the NHL because there is a tradition of it, as another poster said. However these days fighting has its problems. Helmets, an addition to the NHL after the advent of common fighting, creates problems. A punch to the helmet can do more damage to the hand than to the helmeted head being hit. Consequently some fighters take it easy when the helmet is likely to be hit. And visors, which might become manditory someday soon, will create yet more problems for the fighting hockey player.

To tell you the truth, I think they could ban fighting in the NHL and the sport could survive just fine. The heirarchy is probably unwilling to take the gamble. And given hockey is a secondary "major" sport in the US (but bigger than soccer, so far), it would be a gamble.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:59 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,972,974 times
Quote:

Anyone know why?
Because hockey fights are entertaining.

Basketball fights just look ridiculous.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:42 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,794,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because hockey fights are entertaining.

Basketball fights just look ridiculous.

Why do the NBA fights look ridiculous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports