Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:17 AM

994 posts, read 1,829,746 times

Advertisements

For me definitely the NFL:

It makes every game more intense to the simple fact that it is a one and done type of playoff. You lose the game you are DONE! It makes it more exciting and unpredictable IMO. So anyway here are my rankings:

1. NFL - Already explained
2. NBA - Usually the matchups and the series are really good and interesting.
3. NHL - Probably the most intense out them all, but just not that into hockey.
4. MLB - Sorry unless it's a really close game or it's the Cubs playing, I find watching baseball on TV BORING.

If I could include NCAA hoops it would go at number 2. I think it is an intense and great system that gets the whole country involved across a wide geography and gives the Davids a chance to beat the Goliaths.

The worst, NCAA FB, need I say more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 13,057 times
Nhl is the best its just intense.Then NFL,NBA and MLB.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:51 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
1) MLB because there is no such thing as getting saved by the clock. And the last out in a series, followed by a dogpile.
2) NHL because what happened in the regular season means nothing. Probably the biggest crapshoot in all of sports when you get into the playoffs.
3) NFL because there is no tomorrow. Win or go home. Though the end of NFL games can be anti-climactic due to the networks trying to squeeze in as many commercials as possible. And reporters immediately hounding the players instead of letting them celebrate.
4) NBA - the last few minutes can be exciting but you can pretty much skip the first three quarters of most games.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:24 PM

21 posts, read 79,550 times
The overall intensity of the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs is incredible. As much as I love football, high school, college, and pro, I don't think there is anything as exciting as a Game 7 in an NHL playoff series. A Game 7 in the Stanley Cup Finals is probably, for me, the most exciting game in sports. And I never played organized hockey.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
Nothing matches the tradition of the MLB playoffs. There's 162 games to determine the teams so you know you've got the best of the best going at it. Plus the limited number of spots makes getting into the playoffs something rare and truly earned. And if you're in a city that has a team in the running, everybody in the area, even those that haven't watched a game all year, is focused on the series. Highway overpasses become draped with signs. Street vendors pop up selling apparel on random street corners in the burbs. I can destinctly remember every single game of every single playoff series the Twins have played in in my lifetime. I couldn't even say that about the Vikings and football teams play a lot less playoff games. A deep run towards the World Series brings out by far more emotion in a city than any other sporting event.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Nothing matches the tradition of the MLB playoffs. There's 162 games to determine the teams so you know you've got the best of the best going at it. Plus the limited number of spots makes getting into the playoffs something rare and truly earned. And if you're in a city that has a team in the running, everybody in the area, even those that haven't watched a game all year, is focused on the series. Highway overpasses become draped with signs. Street vendors pop up selling apparel on random street corners in the burbs. I can destinctly remember every single game of every single playoff series the Twins have played in in my lifetime. I couldn't even say that about the Vikings and football teams play a lot less playoff games. A deep run towards the World Series brings out by far more emotion in a city than any other sporting event.
hmm as aperson born and raised in Vancouver change the sport to hockey and the Team to the Vancouver Canucks and the exact same thing happens

anyways Go! Canucks GO!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
The best thing about the NHL playoffs is that the best team wins a 7 game series every single time. There are not flukes.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The best thing about the NHL playoffs is that the best team wins a 7 game series every single time. There are not flukes.
Sarcasm?

Old 06-07-2011, 08:17 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
1)nhl
2)mlb
3)nfl

Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
1. MLB...nothing beats October baseball.
2. NFL

NBA and NHL playoffs are WAY too long.....do sports that start in September need to last until almost July?

And Div. I college football takes the cake for the worst.....the bowls and the popularity contest "national championship" game is like the sports equivalent of an arranged marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports