Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:08 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Over 25 percent of the performers from Wrestlemania VII have died - Y! Sports Blogs - Yahoo! Sports

Quote:
Over one-quarter of the performers who took part in 1991's Wrestlemania VII have died, a wrestling website noted in the wake of the death of "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

The Wrestling Observer newsletter discovered that 14 of the 51 performers at the event have died in the past 20 years, with many of the deaths attributed to drug use (link is subscription only).
Now this is frightening. There has to be something with the wrestling lifestyle. Steroids definitely plays a part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times
Lex Luger
Hulk Hogan
Chris Masters
Bobby Lashley

and many more etc.

They'll be dead because of steroids overuse.

Last edited by Bjorn_Ironside32; 05-24-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 02:12 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
when hulk hogan dies it will be one sad day as he was a huge part of my childhood and a huge part of the 1980s pop culture the reason you watched the WWF now the WWE was to see hulk hogan

Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I was going to post the same link. 25% in 20 years...pretty bad for people in 'excellent shape'. I think the roids and pain pills are doing more than we know.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I was going to post the same link. 25% in 20 years...pretty bad for people in 'excellent shape'. I think the roids and pain pills are doing more than we know.
I don't know what roids feel like, and Im not an expert on pain pills, but that seems insane to abuse both. Upper, downer, upper, downer, upper downer, wash, rinse, repeat.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Looking at the mortality tables for the general population, the death rate would be roughly 1/2 that number.

Big guys in general do not live as long even without the presence of serious sports related injuries or drug\steroid etc. abuse.

I would suspect that the numbers aren't all that different for NFL players.

The guy that owns my gym is a future HOF OT whom is probably 350lb african american male aged late 30's. You just don't see a whole lot of 70year old guys that big....heart disease and just sheer size inflicting injuries which result in weight gain....my sister sees all kids of guys die in their 50's-60's from weight\diabetes related issues.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Looking at the mortality tables for the general population, the death rate would be roughly 1/2 that number.

Big guys in general do not live as long even without the presence of serious sports related injuries or drug\steroid etc. abuse.

I would suspect that the numbers aren't all that different for NFL players.

The guy that owns my gym is a future HOF OT whom is probably 350lb african american male aged late 30's. You just don't see a whole lot of 70year old guys that big....heart disease and just sheer size inflicting injuries which result in weight gain....my sister sees all kids of guys die in their 50's-60's from weight\diabetes related issues.
I think you are writing off the shadyness and dangerous nature that has consumed the professional wrasslin' industry for a couple decades now. It is an insanely harsh life style, that has wide spread drug abuse. It's not as simple as "they are big guys, they don't last as long," even though that may be true in the general public.

The Yahoo article did say that every single player that started the super bowl the year of that wrestlemania is still alive.

NFL players also have lower life expectancy rates compared to the general public of course, but long time WWF/WWE performers are probably worse. Then there is also incidents like Chris Benoit shooting his wife/children/himself in what was described as a roid rage - though I don't recall if that was ever proved.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:25 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I think you are writing off the shadyness and dangerous nature that has consumed the professional wrasslin' industry for a couple decades now. It is an insanely harsh life style, that has wide spread drug abuse. It's not as simple as "they are big guys, they don't last as long," even though that may be true in the general public.

The Yahoo article did say that every single player that started the super bowl the year of that wrestlemania is still alive.

NFL players also have lower life expectancy rates compared to the general public of course, but long time WWF/WWE performers are probably worse. Then there is also incidents like Chris Benoit shooting his wife/children/himself in what was described as a roid rage - though I don't recall if that was ever proved.
I'm not writing it off, far from it, I'm just trying to use available information and then comparing. I noted both drug use and the size of the guys involved which would be key variables.

I would note that they are cherry picking, using a single event and also comparing to a superbowl where the average player was probably 10 years younger than the average wrestler and would be inclusive of guys like kickers, quarterbacks etc. that aren't "big buys" not to mention statistical sampling (which goes to "cherry picking".)

I agree it's an issue, heck even the guys that survived generally look like crap for thier age EXCEPT for Hogan. I'm merely pulling at some of the loose ends to try to get a clearer idea of the issue we are observing.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:28 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Though pro wrestling is "fake", in terms of being scripted, the physical bumps most wrestlers take certainly aren't fake. I think that factor (which is also related to taking painkillers) plays a big role in the pre-mature deaths, along with the steroids.

Incidentally, I agree with the idea that many larger guys, even well-built larger guys, tend to have shorter lives, and that probably plays a factor too.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm not writing it off, far from it, I'm just trying to use available information and then comparing. I noted both drug use and the size of the guys involved which would be key variables.

I would note that they are cherry picking, using a single event and also comparing to a superbowl where the average player was probably 10 years younger than the average wrestler and would be inclusive of guys like kickers, quarterbacks etc. that aren't "big buys" not to mention statistical sampling (which goes to "cherry picking".)

I agree it's an issue, heck even the guys that survived generally look like crap for thier age EXCEPT for Hogan. I'm merely pulling at some of the loose ends to try to get a clearer idea of the issue we are observing.
Yeah, I also hate biased stats and they can stick out like a sore thumb. I just don't like defending anything about the wrestling culture - and I was a BIG fan when I was a kid (even into my teenage years, Im ashamed to admit). So even though it prob was not the best comparison I think the general point of the article is dead on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports