Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:54 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times

Advertisements

Putting a dog in a ring and forcing him to fight or killing him IS cruelty to animals.

If a human chooses to put on his gloves or whatever gear he chooses and go out and beat the snot out of someone else or get the snot beat out of himself in the name of sportsmanship, go nuts. I don't have to support him, and I won't - no more than I will wear the Nike shoe anymore.

It IS against the law for people to bare-fisted fight in the parking lot - but we sanction much as "sport" that is only barely disguised pugilism.

If boxers were killed for losing fights in the 30's through 60's, I would hope we would have evolved since then - and that boxer CHOSE to have a manager that he has to support or whatever. YOU didn't make that choice - I didn't make that choice- they racked up their own debts - the dogs did not. The dogs are paying with their lives, boxers now pay with debt. Oh well. That's why God invented bankruptcy.

The person DID agree to fight and knew the risks and benefits, the dog did not, end of conversation - there is absolutely no way to compare these two situations. I honestly think you are trying to agitate an already hot topic by comparing apples and oranges.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-12-2007 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 05:58 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notpuff View Post
Ban baseball!...coach got killed recently from a line drive coaching 1st base..

Ban basketball...Len Bias died playing baskets...couldve been cuz of that hard foul put on him...

Incidentally - I live in the state where that happened. It has been a real eye opener for many, but is that going to stop people from sitting on the first base line? No way - and on the back of the ticket the ballpark claims ZERO responsibility for a ball in play. It was horrible and tragic, it was also a fluke...a man playing a non-contact sport is hit by a line drive going no telling how fast and literally exploding his jugular....I have no doubt he or anyone else on his team really ever imagined dying on the diamond - but it WAS a risk he took. Sadly, his very young life was cut way too short...but he knew.

As the owner of a bait dog, I actually take offense at some of the comments the OP made.....my dog was left for dead after being used to agitate the fighters - his face was broken, he had horrid bite wounds in his feet, and most of both of his ears were missing. Please tell me where that is equal to a boxer getting in a ring and I'll reconsider....as it is, it was needless cruelty he need not have suffered except for a sick, sick individual...and if someone is actually enjoying getting their head bashed in while in the boxing ring....well, I'd say they need some couch time.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:09 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Whoever says they're on the same level is smoking crack. Humans have the conscious decision whether to get in the arena and fight another of his (or her) species. The *sporting dogs* are not given such a choice.

This is just more excuse making for the people who run fighting kennels...directly or indirectly.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:47 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
This is a violent, brutal, blood-thirsty society.
Although dog fighting is illegal, surely it continues secretly. People love to see blood and guts.
Why do people gather at a serious car accidents? Maybe a few lucky ones will get close enough to see a few chunks of human meat on the dashboard.
When a boxer's face is swollen and bloodied, the camera will get a closer shot, so the audience can get a thrill. Isn't the objective in boxing to knock the opponent unconcious?
Professional wrestling (which I believe is fake) depicts brutal violence...after all, what can be more entertaining than watching someone getting kicked in the face?
What do TV programs show...an endless chain of murders. Script writers are challenged to find new ways of how to kill.
If boxers want to beat each other to a bloody pulp, I say let them go at it.
Many people pay hefty sums of money for ringside seats as well as pay for view. If they want it, why stop it? There is a large demand for such events. There is little point in arguing about this.
Surely, we can create new sports, such as Russian Roulette (with real bullets), diving into shallow ponds, and letting wrestlers use baseball bats on each other (for real). I'm sure all would become popular and attract large viewing audiences.
I have no interest in any of the above mentioned sports and view it all as a sad commentary on our society.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:24 PM

404 posts, read 711,396 times
What Sam said, only without as much tact.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Simple.

In boxing, two men (or chicks now) grow up watching the sport, they choose to go to the Gym, learn to box etc. They have doctors on ringside, they get really hurt, the doc or ref stops it. Boxing is in no way inhumane or as violent as people say. Its an art to box. Its not simply showing up and punching somebody and hoping for the best.

In dog fighting, if youre hurt you die.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I believe you are wrong, the two can be compared:

You said dogs have been killed for losing fights: Well, Many professional boxers have been killed (shot in the head, beaten to death, etc) for losing fights because of loss bets or "throwing fights". This was very prevelent during the 30's thru 60's area.

You said dogs are forced to fight: Well, many professional and amature boxes are forced to fight also in order to pay back debts to promoters, managers, and others.

Therefore, I must disagree with you. There are some similarities between the two and I just do not see how one can be illegal and the other legal. I guess that I do not understand how there are laws to protect dogs and not people from fighting. Regardless if the person agrees to fighting or not...that's not the issue.
I don't know if you are just making this stuff up or what, but it sounds that way to me. Boxing is a profession. Managers, promoters, etc. all get paid based on signed contracts.

Boxers aren't forced to fight to pay back debts. It sounds like you are still living in the 20's. That stuff isn't happening now.

I would love to see proof of the "many" people you say were killed in the 30's through 60's due to losing a boxing match. I'm not saying it didn't happen due to organized crime and the like involved in boxing back in the day but I suspect it was few and far between.

Dog fighting puts two dogs in the ring with the intent of killing the other dog. If the dog isn't killed in the ring the owner usually kills the dogs in many brutal ways including electrocution and drowning because they are to beat up to fight again.

Boxing and mixed martial arts have referees who are trained to stop the fight if it looks like someone is unable to defend themselves any longer.

The difference is that humans don't go in with the intent of killing the other person and their are rules, officials, and governing bodies to make sure the safety of the fighters is of the utmost importance.

Their is obviously risk but any boxer knows that going in.

Dogs are thrown into a pit and don't come out until the other dog is dead or unable to continue and will be killed by their handler anyway.

There is absolutely no comparison between boxing and martial arts and dogfighting.

Dogfighting is cruel and inhumane. Boxing and mixed martial arts are regulated sports.

Let me know when dogfighting becomes an olympic sport, maybe then they will be comparable.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:58 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times
Default What a ridiculous thread!

What Sam I am wrote below sums it all up. Its a joke to compare the two. Remember in Boxing or the UFC you can give up at any time, also the ref is there to help you, plus your corner.And yes in boxing & UFC you make your choices. Dog in dog fights are forced to fight by weak thugs who need to go.

Wake up if you think dog fighting is even close to boxing & the UFC. End of topic!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Putting a dog in a ring and forcing him to fight or killing him IS cruelty to animals.

If a human chooses to put on his gloves or whatever gear he chooses and go out and beat the snot out of someone else or get the snot beat out of himself in the name of sportsmanship, go nuts. I don't have to support him, and I won't - no more than I will wear the Nike shoe anymore.

It IS against the law for people to bare-fisted fight in the parking lot - but we sanction much as "sport" that is only barely disguised pugilism.

If boxers were killed for losing fights in the 30's through 60's, I would hope we would have evolved since then - and that boxer CHOSE to have a manager that he has to support or whatever. YOU didn't make that choice - I didn't make that choice- they racked up their own debts - the dogs did not. The dogs are paying with their lives, boxers now pay with debt. Oh well. That's why God invented bankruptcy.

The person DID agree to fight and knew the risks and benefits, the dog did not, end of conversation - there is absolutely no way to compare these two situations. I honestly think you are trying to agitate an already hot topic by comparing apples and oranges.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
Ban football in High School. Every year, boys die from working out in too hot weather before the season starts.

Boxers don't go into the ring trying to rip out the opponents throat with their teeth. They wear protective gear and aren't gouged in the testicles to make them meaner.

Nor were they bred to be fighters. But I'm with you, Boxing is not my idea of "sport"

Old 08-15-2007, 06:23 AM

12 posts, read 69,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Pro Football player Michael Vick is facing serious charges for allegedly being involved in some sort of illegal dog fighting activities. Yet events such as professional boxing, kick boxing, UFC etc., continue to entertain the public. If it's illegal for animanls to fight and kill each other shouldn't it also be illegal for our fellow human beings to fight and kill each other. Afterall, isn't a human life more valuable than a dogs? If charges are being levied against Vick, should charges be levied against promoters and owners when atheletes dies in the ring or suffer severe injuries. Isn't it the same thing? And remember, many professional boxers have been killed in the ring and suffered severe injuries (Muhammad Ali for example) just like these dogs alledgedly have.

Now don't get me wrong, I AM NOT supporting Vicks actions if he is guilty or cruelty to animals. I am only asking if there is a double standard here.
People do not get in the ring with the intent of killing the other person, and the fight is not left to go on when one fighter can not defend him or her self.

And there had been no direct link to Parkinsons to the punishment Ali took in the ring. No one have ever said boxing or MMA is totally safe, there is always the chance somthing can go wrong. Boxing has lost many fighters due to the punishment they have taken, buth those fighters also choose not to stop, but you also run the risk of hurting yourself or worse getting in and out of the shower, so should that be outlawed as well?

I'm a amature fighter and have great respect for the fighters who put it all on the line for what they love. Dogs don't love to kill other dogs, they love not being beaten and starved so they do what will keep them fed and somewhat safe. That is why dog fighting is illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports