Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 06:50 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,048 times

Advertisements

Pro Football player Michael Vick is facing serious charges for allegedly being involved in some sort of illegal dog fighting activities. Yet events such as professional boxing, kick boxing, UFC etc., continue to entertain the public. If it's illegal for animanls to fight and kill each other shouldn't it also be illegal for our fellow human beings to fight and kill each other. Afterall, isn't a human life more valuable than a dogs? If charges are being levied against Vick, should charges be levied against promoters and owners when atheletes dies in the ring or suffer severe injuries. Isn't it the same thing? And remember, many professional boxers have been killed in the ring and suffered severe injuries (Muhammad Ali for example) just like these dogs alledgedly have.

Now don't get me wrong, I AM NOT supporting Vicks actions if he is guilty or cruelty to animals. I am only asking if there is a double standard here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 06:58 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Simply put... the people have a choice, the dogs do not.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
True, dogs don't have a choice because they are animals. But I am not debating the choice issue. I am questioning the legality issue. Just because a person chooses to get into the ring and fight, thus risking life and limb, that doesn't make it right from a legal stand point. In the same way that LAWS are in place to prevent dogs from fighting, why isn't it against the law for humans to fight. That's my point. Illegal fighting should be illegal fighting be it by dogs or humans.

So, based upon your answer, are you saying that it is ok for humans to fight and kill each other because they choose to?

Old 08-11-2007, 07:46 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,182,695 times
Interesting thread.
I don't know what UFC is, but I have no interest in watching people fight each other. It's low brow and only appeals to the brutal side of human nature. The masses have been excited about watching fights for thousands of years. So, it's nothing new.
In the Natinal Hockey league, the players often get into fights, and the referees allow them to fight, which I think is stupid. But some spectators look forward to the fights.
I have never considered boxing to be much of a sport and have little sympathy for those who get hurt.
If humans fighting each other was declared illegal, it would only go underground, such as dog fighting.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Interesting thread.
I don't know what UFC is, but I have no interest in watching people fight each other. It's low brow and only appeals to the brutal side of human nature. The masses have been excited about watching fights for thousands of years. So, it's nothing new.
In the Natinal Hockey league, the players often get into fights, and the referees allow them to fight, which I think is stupid. But some spectators look forward to the fights.
I have never considered boxing to be much of a sport and have little sympathy for those who get hurt.
If humans fighting each other was declared illegal, it would only go underground, such as dog fighting.
Visvaldis, UFC (I think that's the correct name) is the new fight sport that is a mix of boxing, wrestling and kickingboxing, and has more blood than boxing etc., from what I have understand, it is suppose to be the new rage in boxing and become much bigger than wrestling.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:36 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,585 times
The 2 can't even be compared. First of all boxing, MMA, Kickboxing and the like don't enter the ring intent on killing each other. Yes it is brutal, yes many won't watch because of that aspect. Don't lose sight of the fact that these are sports, competitions with willing participants. All of these proffesional fighting sports have people in the ring to stop it if one of the fighters can't go on, there is medical staff with ambulances on hand if they are needed. And very few people have actually been killed in the ring. No medical staff for the dogs, no ref to break it up if a dog can't continue, the dogs are forced into fighting they don't willingly go in the ring. How many boxers in history have been electricuted because they lost a big fight ? How many MMA guys have been hanged in the arena after losing the big fight ? Exactly , none. These 2 can't be compared unless it is from a third world nation point of view.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
The 2 can't even be compared. First of all boxing, MMA, Kickboxing and the like don't enter the ring intent on killing each other. Yes it is brutal, yes many won't watch because of that aspect. Don't lose sight of the fact that these are sports, competitions with willing participants. All of these proffesional fighting sports have people in the ring to stop it if one of the fighters can't go on, there is medical staff with ambulances on hand if they are needed. And very few people have actually been killed in the ring. No medical staff for the dogs, no ref to break it up if a dog can't continue, the dogs are forced into fighting they don't willingly go in the ring. How many boxers in history have been electricuted because they lost a big fight ? How many MMA guys have been hanged in the arena after losing the big fight ? Exactly , none. These 2 can't be compared unless it is from a third world nation point of view.
I believe you are wrong, the two can be compared:

You said dogs have been killed for losing fights: Well, Many professional boxers have been killed (shot in the head, beaten to death, etc) for losing fights because of loss bets or "throwing fights". This was very prevelent during the 30's thru 60's area.

You said dogs are forced to fight: Well, many professional and amature boxes are forced to fight also in order to pay back debts to promoters, managers, and others.

Therefore, I must disagree with you. There are some similarities between the two and I just do not see how one can be illegal and the other legal. I guess that I do not understand how there are laws to protect dogs and not people from fighting. Regardless if the person agrees to fighting or not...that's not the issue.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:22 AM

262 posts, read 299,908 times
Quote:
Thats really all that needs to be said until dogs can talk theres no comparsion.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:24 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,585 times
You are not looking at this as a sport issue, all of your arguement is based on the imperfection of mankind. I'll give you that man is imperfect and corrupt, if you are making the arguement based on the corruption of men making these events take place (people being executed) than it is a totally different topic altogether. All of the fighting sports are open to your arguement from a violence standpoint , and I do understand your view. Animals don't have a voice in their situation when thrown into fighting arenas. You comparison to the 30's mafia executions of athletes that wouldn't dump a fight don't have any weight in this topic. Keep things current and in todays perspective. I would love to discuss the corruption and imperfections of man in another forum

Old 08-11-2007, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 16,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I believe you are wrong, the two can be compared:

You said dogs have been killed for losing fights: Well, Many professional boxers have been killed (shot in the head, beaten to death, etc) for losing fights because of loss bets or "throwing fights". This was very prevelent during the 30's thru 60's area.

You said dogs are forced to fight: Well, many professional and amature boxes are forced to fight also in order to pay back debts to promoters, managers, and others.

Therefore, I must disagree with you. There are some similarities between the two and I just do not see how one can be illegal and the other legal. I guess that I do not understand how there are laws to protect dogs and not people from fighting. Regardless if the person agrees to fighting or not...that's not the issue.
Ban baseball!...coach got killed recently from a line drive coaching 1st base..

Ban basketball...Len Bias died playing baskets...couldve been cuz of that hard foul put on him...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports