Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city has the best chance of winning two (or more) major sports championships this season?
Atlanta 3 12.00%
Boston 7 28.00%
Chicago 3 12.00%
Los Angeles 0 0%
New York 0 0%
Philadelphia 8 32.00%
Pittsburgh 1 4.00%
San Francisco 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2011, 02:47 PM
 
343 posts, read 807,477 times
Reputation: 217

Advertisements

Why is Dallas not an option?!
Seriously, the Mavs always have a shot again and the Rangers will be in contention. Who knows whats going to happen with the Cowboys though... maybe new coaching will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2011, 03:11 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,264 posts, read 5,667,710 times
Reputation: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I respectfully disagree, last year was never expected to be a success, the entire Eagle's strategy revolved around contending this year. Regardless of who plays QB - and I'd rather have Vick there than not - this year's Eagles is a roster of players in their prime.
I definitely would rather not have Vick as the face of the franchise, especially if they actually win a super bowl (which I highly doubt, but let them prove me wrong). And I won't even talk about my feelings about his off-the-field BS (which is bad enough).
What I will say is that so far with the Eagles he seems like basically the exact same quarterback who the Falcons were ultimately happy to get rid of. Not too bright, makes highlight reels against crappy teams and therefore gets pro-bowl votes, sells lots of jerseys, and then crumbles and makes poor decisions against good defenses in the playoffs who have schemed for him. Hopefully he won't completely revert to his old ways of flipping off the home fans when booed, because Eagles fans might not take so kindly to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,335 posts, read 1,668,825 times
Reputation: 344
We'll see, but so far Vick been the definition of a 'reformed' man. It's difficult to figure out what happened last year, last year it's doubtful Reid had the time to fully plan for having Vick at QB. I'd think the play book is rather different this year. Philly accepted him, which is a tough thing to swallow. I hope he reciprocates by delivering, and staying classy if things don't work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I definitely would rather not have Vick as the face of the franchise, especially if they actually win a super bowl (which I highly doubt, but let them prove me wrong). And I won't even talk about my feelings about his off-the-field BS (which is bad enough).
What I will say is that so far with the Eagles he seems like basically the exact same quarterback who the Falcons were ultimately happy to get rid of. Not too bright, makes highlight reels against crappy teams and therefore gets pro-bowl votes, sells lots of jerseys, and then crumbles and makes poor decisions against good defenses in the playoffs who have schemed for him. Hopefully he won't completely revert to his old ways of flipping off the home fans when booed, because Eagles fans might not take so kindly to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,335 posts, read 1,668,825 times
Reputation: 344
I mentioned that, I basically regret leaving Dallas off the list, except I'm from Philly, so I don't regret it. Mavs were spectacular though, I rooted for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
Why is Dallas not an option?!
Seriously, the Mavs always have a shot again and the Rangers will be in contention. Who knows whats going to happen with the Cowboys though... maybe new coaching will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 04:35 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,264 posts, read 5,667,710 times
Reputation: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
I'd think the play book is rather different this year.
eg: another thing they tried in Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,335 posts, read 1,668,825 times
Reputation: 344
Either way I'm sure he'll outperform McNabb and Kolb. For better if worse he's the face of the Eagles now. Philly is watching his every move, if he steps out of line we'll let him know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
eg: another thing they tried in Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 04:52 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,264 posts, read 5,667,710 times
Reputation: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Either way I'm sure he'll outperform McNabb and Kolb. For better if worse he's the face of the Eagles now. Philly is watching his every move, if he steps out of line we'll let him know.
Full disclosure: I am a disgruntled Eagles fan who is just waiting for Reid & Vick to fail so that we can move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,335 posts, read 1,668,825 times
Reputation: 344
No love for NY, eh? Jets and Giants just too far from being elite this year, I guess. New Yorkers have seemed less than enthused about their chances against the Sox.

rotodome - I've never had much faith in Reid. The man is limited.

Last edited by Dub King; 08-06-2011 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Hell, NY
3,187 posts, read 5,167,042 times
Reputation: 5704
I picked Philadelphia, with all the additional elite pitchers they picked up for the Phillies. Plus, the work they did improving the Eagles. However, I think the Eagles are still a couple of guys short. The Flyers, gotta be honest, hockey's not my sport so I'm not sure.

I'm a New York fan with the Giants, Yankees and Knicks. The Giants didn't improve, so I don't think their doing anything. The Yankees, although not acquiring anyone, they still have a chance. And with the Knicks having two bonafied All-stars as well as how Miami has a three quarter team, they have a chance. New York has two teams that can do it. The Yankees and the Knicks. Although the Knicks are a long shot.

Boston-Their big three are getting old. We found that out the last two years. I just don't think they will do enough to win it all; however, they unlike many teams in the NBA have a legitimate shot if healthy. And if they somehow can rest their aged starters throughout the season, I give them stronger odds than the Knicks and Miami. New England just acquired Chad Johnson. Brady has looked bad the last few seasons in the playoffs. Look for New England to bounce back with a vengence. I personally think they are the favorites this year. The Bruins just won and so they have a great shot to win again, although that doesn't happen often. The Red Sox, (ouch-personal loathing) they also have a good chance to win it all with all of their additions. And personally the Yankees (my team) this year hasn't had an answer for them. In fact Boston should be ahead of NY and possibly Philly for these reasons.

If I had to pick over, I would have to go with Boston, athough it kills me to say that.

Anyhow, those three cities stand out the most of being in the running to win it all in possibly multiple sports.

Gee, I just made a case. An unbias case for teams I really don't like. Actually, I don't hate the Celtics. I was pulling for them this year and the last few years even though I am a confused fan. I like the Knicks, because I come from NY. But I was a huge Bulls fan back in the early nineties and on since MJ left. I stayed a fan for about 7 to 8 more years, but my heart wasn't really in them anymore. I flipped to the Knicks. I guess I'm a sellout. But not really, because you like teams usually for who is on it. Not to say that you don't have your favorites no matter who's on it,-you do. I think you get what I mean..Regional definately has its impacts as well. Meaning where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: back in Philadelphia!
3,264 posts, read 5,667,710 times
Reputation: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
No love for NY, eh? Jets and Giants just too far from being elite this year, I guess. New Yorkers have seemed less than enthused about their chances against the Sox.

rotodome - I've never had much faith in Reid. The man is limited.
Nah, I'm from Philly, so the only NY team I could really root for with no conflict is the Jets, who I like, but they're cursed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top