Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best chance of winning two (or more) major sports championships this season?
Atlanta 3 12.00%
Boston 7 28.00%
Chicago 3 12.00%
Los Angeles 0 0%
New York 0 0%
Philadelphia 8 32.00%
Pittsburgh 1 4.00%
San Francisco 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:50 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,663,824 times

Advertisements

Here are some cities that are serious about sports. Cities where the fans can be counted on to be there, and team management can be counted on to do what it takes to win financially and strategically. The exception to that statement is (temporarily) L.A., but I couldn't bring myself to put Miami in its place. So I want to know, which of these cities has the best chance of winning two (or more) major sports championships this season?

also, full disclosure: I'm voting for Philly and not just because I live there. Boston is a huge threat, obviously. And now I regret not replacing L.A. with Dallas, but leaving them off the list... that does have a bit to do with the fact I live in Philly.

Last edited by Dub King; 08-06-2011 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 09:11 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,652,089 times
And the city has what to do with this?

Old 08-06-2011, 09:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Here are some cities that are serious about sports. Cities where the fans can be counted on to be there, and team management can be counted on to do what it takes to win financially and strategically. The exception to that statement is (temporarily) L.A., but I couldn't bring myself to put Miami in its place. So I want to know, which of these cities has the best chance of winning two (or more) major sports championships this season?

also, full disclosure: I'm voting for Philly and not just because I live there.

Agree, great times these days for the Phillies, Eagles, and even Flyers. Sixers, will see what the owners have in store as they were always second fiddle to Ed Snyder and Comcast to his beloved Flyers.

At least the NY media might actually agree on Philly (both from the last week)

Jason Gay: Philly Out-New Yorks New York - WSJ.com

Broad Street bests Broadway — again - NYPOST.com[/quote

Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,959 times
Boston. This city's been on a tear the past decade.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 AM

Fans, media market, money. New York, Boston and Philly are such favorites in MLB because the fan base supports the teams to the point where spending more money on the team is even more profitable. Also great cities can afford to attract and keep great talents, lesser cities have to perform a grim financial calculus, so often right after a championship the team is decimated. Keeping the stands full, games sold out, and keeping the season ticket market alive are keys to success, as is a cities willingness to build a fancy new arena, or maintain an old one that has character (hello Fenway) that offers an enhanced home-field advantage.

Test the theory - ask a sports fan in Boston if the city has anything to do with their team's success. Or New York. Or, recently, Philly. Philly will also take responsibility for past failure, just to be clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
And the city has what to do with this?

Last edited by Dub King; 08-06-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-06-2011, 09:21 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,466,386 times
I know you guys all love Philly...but it's hard not to vote Boston here. Maybe I'm biased too, but we've already won a championship this year. We've also got anywhere between #1-3 team in baseball, and #1-2 team in football.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:22 AM

Boston is the obvious threat for Philly. See you at the WS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Boston. This city's been on a tear the past decade.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:27 AM

I think you know full well that the Sox and Phillies share a 99.9% playoff probability and are the faves on equal terms, and that recent events have catapulted the Eagles to #1 in power rankings, right ahead of the Patriots... and I feel an Eagles-Pats Superbowl would be the greatest re-match in NFL history. What are the chances Philly meets Boston to contend MLB and NFL Championships?

Clarification I'm talking seasons, not years... as in 2011-12 season. No championships have been won yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I know you guys all love Philly...but it's hard not to vote Boston here. Maybe I'm biased too, but we've already won a championship this year. We've also got anywhere between #1-3 team in baseball, and #1-2 team in football.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Yeah it is a bit biased , but in sports that is a little bit of the fun. Would love to see the Sox, Pats, and the Bruins in the playoffs again this year.

Good times for Philly. 34 games above 500 and the best offseason signings in the NFL and NHL (notice no reference to hoops, but will take 3 out of 4)

Old 08-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Gotta love this - seems like no love between the Phightins and Giants

And gotta love that Pence was the first Phil off the bench then again right in the fray all along, he is fitting in so nicely in many ways

‪Philadelphia Phillies and San Francisco Giants Fight! 8-5-2011‬‏ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports